Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Suicide among the middle-aged rises sharply

Ashotep

Suicide rates among US adults aged 35-64 are on the rise — with more Americans now taking their lives than dying in car accidents, according to official statistics released Thursday.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/02/suicide-rate-among-the-middle-aged-rises-sharply-in-u-s/

The biggest jump has been in people in their 50's. People have used guns but the biggest increase has been in suffocation or hanging themselves. They also said this big jump has taken place in the last decade. Economy related maybe.

• Like 2

The biggest jump has been in people in their 50's. People have used guns but the biggest increase has been in suffocation or hanging themselves. They also said this big jump has taken place in the last decade. Economy related maybe.

It could have something to do with the direction their country is taking. It seems like a complete 180 to where it was 50 years ago.

• Like 2

It could have something to do with the direction their country is taking. It seems like a complete 180 to where it was 50 years ago.

I think the biggest changes have taken place in the last 10 to 15 years.
  • Like 2

No real surprize to me.

Im interested. Can you elaborate?

Im interested. Can you elaborate?

I'm in this age group. Getting older is not easy. Getting older is not fun. Having to accept that old age is fast approaching is more than many people can bear. IMO the increase in suicide rates among people in their 50s reflects having to face the reality of impending old age.

• Like 2

I can tell how stressed my father is about the economy. He is 51 and has always been one to pay his bills on time and work very hard for his pay.. He wakes up at 5am every week morning and drives an hour to work. Then, he works until 5, at that point he has to drive back home.

He told me at one point-after a trip to the coast, where a long stretch of the road is the one he drives-that he knows the road so well that he often falls asleep driving. It scares me.. Although my father drives a huge, sturdy and used military vehicle, it scares me.. Of course he can't help it. I used to pray for him when he worked overseas.. and now I'm scared for him everyday.. for money.

It is very frustrating for him.. After he gets home, he barely has the energy left to work on his garden or play with Max, our Labrador(both of which he loves.)

He is the strongest person I've ever known, but I see how all of this is taxing him.

Especially when the water company randomly gives us a 500+ bill for no reason.

My father is just another one of the strong and wise souls that have to deal under ridiculous and money-absorbing individuals.

If it's not about all of that, it is about the lack or moral among the youth.. If you have a facebook, you know how stupid some people can be.. and that just makes you something to scoff at when they fear learning something.

My generation is alright.. in the most. The ones beyond that.. Well, I won't judge, but what I see, hear, and experience is rather depressing. There really is no say to them.. they won't even accept a bit of knowledge; What they say goes.

Edited by AliveInDeath7
  • Like 7

Im curious how many people in that age group have had anti depressants pushed on them. Seems every age group is killing themselfs today. Its a epidemic in our military. It also gone up sharply for teens. If anyone is considering taking a drug where the lable tells you it might make you think about killing yourself, you should take that very seriously.

• Like 6

Im curious how many people in that age group have had anti depressants pushed on them. Seems every age group is killing themselfs today. Its a epidemic in our military. It also gone up sharply for teens. If anyone is considering taking a drug where the lable tells you it might make you think about killing yourself, you should take that very seriously.

I've been wondering that myself, too.

• Like 1

I think life has just become that depressing that people think anything is better than this. Look at how the economy has went down. College cost too much and you still may not find a job and be able to repay the loan. Then there's the drones, wars and the other nonsense the governments of the world seem intent on.

• Like 1

It's a tough age if they are being pulled in different directions by aging parents and kids in college.

Age discrimination is very real as well.

• Like 2

I'm in this age group. Getting older is not easy. Getting older is not fun. Having to accept that old age is fast approaching is more than many people can bear. IMO the increase in suicide rates among people in their 50s reflects having to face the reality of impending old age.

I'm in this group as well but I'm enjoying life and looking forward to retirement. Maybe because I work with many older people. Every year we have three or four people retire. When I talk to them they love it, so of course I'm excited by the prospect. Plus I now have the means to do many of the things I always wanted to do. I celebrate every b-day as a victory.

"What do you say when death comes calling? Not today!" - Game of Thrones

I'm in this group as well but I'm enjoying life and looking forward to retirement. Maybe because I work with many older people.

Perhaps also because you're economically able to retire soon? Not everyone who's older has the financial ability to quit work and enjoy their later years. Many people saw their retirement savings plans destroyed, have houses worth far less than what they owe on them, or (the worst IMO) have lost their jobs and can't get another due to their age. This is a sad reality for many people. Not a day goes by that I'm not very grateful for what I have. Therefore, it doesn't surprize me that suicide rates have risen for people in later middle age.

• Like 5

I know someone that lost their 401k and retirement when things really went downhill several years ago after 9/11. I lost touch with them but they were talking about having to sell their house.

• Like 1

Suicide Rate Spikes in Vietnam Vets Who Won't Seek Help

Every Christmas Rudi Gresham, a former combat soldier in Vietnam, gets a Christmas card from a fellow veteran who was nearly pushed to the brink of suicide because of despair.

"The guy was in his late 50s and his wife had left him and he came down with cancer from Agent Orange, he was broke and he had to move in with his mom and dad--he didn't know where to go from there," said Gresham, who was then serving as senior advisor to the Department of Veterans Affairs under the George W. Bush administration.

"Everything had gone to hell," said Gresham. "But I communicated with him."

Now 68 and retired in South Carolina, Gresham was able to get the veteran the 10 years of back pay he deserved by authenticating his service with a commanding officer. Today, the man's cancer is under control and he has a new woman in his life.

Gresham said getting that thank you card for saving the veteran's life was "the most gratifying moment" in his eight-year career with the VA. "I tell my kids, this is the reward for my work."

But three other depressed friends were not so lucky and took their own lives, becoming statistics in a rising tide of suicides among baby boomers, many of them Vietnam War veterans.

Just this week the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released its latest statistics on suicide rates among Americans, finding that the number of middle-aged Americans who took their own lives was up more than 28 percent.

Annual suicide rates among U.S. adults aged 35 to 64 increased from 13.7 to 17.6 suicides per 100,000 people between 1999 and 2010.

The greatest increases in suicide rates were among people aged 50 to 54 years (48 percent) and 55 to 59 years (49 percent).

For the whole population, the national rate was 12.4 per 100,000 in that decade, according to the CDC. The most common mechanisms were suffocation or hanging, poisoning and firearms. Increases were seen among both men and women.

The CDC cites the recent economic downturn, a "cohort effect" among baby boomers who had unusually high suicide rates during their adolescent years, and a rise in intentional overdoses because of increased availability of prescription opiods.

But suicide rates among Vietnam veterans are the highest of any particular group, according to John Draper, project director of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

Eight million Americans report suicidal thoughts, and 1.1 million will attempt suicide. An estimated 38,000 will succeed in killing themselves, according to the CDC. Most are male, by a four to one margin, and are single and lack a college education.

The suicide rate jumped higher for women (32 percent) than for men (27 percent).

"Men tend to be more lonely and have a harder time maintaining and replacing relationships than women, especially when they get into middle age," said Draper. "Men are busy working or tie their relationships to work and when they lose their job, they lose their relationships."

Those who are less stable in their personal lives are also less stable in the workforce, he said.

"I don't have all the answers," said Draper. "But we know about suicide prevention and people who are more socially connected and have a sense of belief and self-worth and are valued at work and in their relationships are way more protected and generally happier people."

Taken from: http://gma.yahoo.com/suicide-rate-spikes-vietnam-vets-wont-seek-help-141731571--abc-news-health.html

I'd like to add on more personal note, that my husband's fave aunt committed suicide many years ago. About 3 years ago, or next door neighbors killed herself, also.

Very sad, that people think this is the only way out of their problems.

• Like 2

I'd imagine there are a myriad of reasons why the suicide rate is spiking among 50 year olds right now, of course the economy, also just the shift in the number of people heading toward retirement in a culture that "seems" to only appreciate young people and their interests. This was predicted by a lot of sociologists based on the number of Baby Boomers and the following generation reaching the age of 50 plus in a large wave. There are people now that I know who are actually shifting their employment from certain professions into caregiving related jobs because it's a growing industry. I think this generation that is in their 50's are dealing with a lot, including one thing which hasn't been addressed, early onset Alzheimers. Early onset diagnosis are on the rise because of better diagnostic tests. I'd imagine between health issues, financial issues, plus a lot of older folks with out extended families, isolation and depression can be for some unbearable. I think it's sad, just because you reach the age of 50 doesn't mean you're no longer relevant but with the unemployment as high as it is now those that are older sometimes think that they aren't desirable employees.It is sort of ironic because they usually have a larger skill set and some businesses want older people.

• Like 1

I am sure it is. I am 47, married, and we have no retirement or savings. ( long story, but not rare at all ) We live pretty much check to check, with the ability to maybe go out one weekend a month. If our health were not good, I do not know how we would do it, even with insurance. And, the cars health seems ok, same there.

I am thinking more and more about how we have no retirement. It is scary......Would be a lot worse if I lose my job. Finding decent jobs at this age is near impossible.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 4

Life is what you make of it. Unfortunately, some folks aren't able to deal with it.

I think it is more than just life is what you make of it. Sometimes you keep getting one bad hand after another dealt to you until you just have to fold.

I know what you mean Sakari, same here.

I'm thinking if some of these people were behind on bills and had creditor's after them it could of pushed them over the edge.

• Like 1

I know what you mean Sakari, same here.

Hope it gets better for you...... :tu:

• Like 2

(how's this saying go again..?)

"..the wisdom of the realm is more often heard on drunkards lips than in the kings court" (?) (...whatever) :)

i think we're all more or less on the right track here..

..how's it going in your country?

saw all this coming years ago, when they first started going on about the GFC (late '07) - started seeing all these new-fangled superannuation commercials on the TV, radio, etc... what i was seeing was retiree-aged couples happily travelling in newly acquired camper-vans, and what-have-you, one day i even saw one of these smiling happy ladies quip something about 'spending their childrens inheritance"

..and they're always smiling happy couples sipping morning coffee in bathrobes (have you noticed?)

..and now they're all flogging LIFE INSURANCE.. full coverage from cradle to grave.. and constantly pushing rising costs of living.. and "..wouldn't it be terrible if my family were left to struggle if something was to happen to me?" (pause for effect) and don't worry folks SUICIDE IS COVERED AFTER 13 MONTHS OF COVERAGE

your whole life is now managed like this.

..who are we now living FOR?

people 50+ *KNOW* this.. and no amount of FOX propaganda or reality management is going to make them think and feel otherwise.

Just more proof that the Baby Boomer Generation is the most selfish and self-centered group of individuals ever to have lived...

Edited by tapirmusic

Just more proof that the Baby Boomer Generation is the most selfish and self-centered group of individuals ever to have lived...

I would have to say that is far from the truth.

I myself, have watched greed go up, selfishness go up, respect for others go down, and people care only about themselves before anyone or anything else.

I watched it from growing up in the 70's and 80's, raising kids from the 90's to now, and working from the 80's to now. I watched all of it rise like rocket.

Selfish and self centered has been on a very steep and fast rise, and is not slowing down.

You can look at history and see you are wrong. I could write a book here with examples....

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

Bad economic times are known to be associated with increases in suicides.

Everyone needs to save for retirement. Even if it's just a few $$ out of every check. You can adjust to $20 less per check (maybe not easily).

Sell something on craigs list and put the money in the savings. Gotta do something.

• Like 1