Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Harry Potter 6 release date announced!

DC09

Harry Potter publication date announced

J.K. ROWLING'S HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE

TO BE PUBLISHED ON 16th JULY, 2005 IN THE UNITED KINGDOM, THE UNITED STATES, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND AND SOUTH AFRICA

LONDON, ENGLAND: NEW YORK, NY, USA: 12 noon London, 21st December, 2004

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, by J.K. Rowling, the sixth in the bestselling series, has been scheduled for publication on 16th July, 2005 in the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, it was announced today by Bloomsbury and Scholastic, her British and American publishers. On her website, www.jkrowling.com, J.K. Rowling announced last night that she had completed the book and delivered the manuscript to her two English language publishers.

In making the joint announcement, Nigel Newton, Chief Executive of Bloomsbury Publishing in the United Kingdom and Barbara Marcus, President of Scholastic Children's Books in the United States, said: "We are delighted to announce the publication date. J.K. Rowling has written a brilliant story that will dazzle her fans in a marvellous book that takes the series to yet greater heights. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince delivers all the excitement and wonder of her bestselling Harry Potter novels."

In the previous book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, the last chapter, titled 'The Second War Begins,' started:

'In a brief statement on Friday night, Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge confirmed that He Who Must Not Be Named has returned to this country and is once more active.

"It is with great regret that I must confirm that the wizard styling himself Lord — well, you know who I mean — is alive and among us again," said Fudge.'

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince takes up the story of Harry Potter's sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry at this point as Voldemort’s power and followers are increasing day by day, in the midst of this battle of good and evil.

The author has already said that the Half-Blood Prince is neither Harry nor Voldemort. Intriguingly, the opening chapter of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has been brewing in J.K. Rowling's mind for 13 years.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, J.K. Rowling's fifth Harry Potter book, was released on 21st June, 2003, and was the fastest-selling book in history on the first weekend of its publication. All five Harry Potter books, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, as well as Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, have all been Number One bestsellers in the United Kingdom, the United States and around the world.

Bloomsbury will be publishing their standard children's hardback edition (ISBN 0747581088) and in addition an adult hardback edition (ISBN 074758110X), (the same text but with a different jacket) at the same time and both editions have a Recommended Retail Price of £16.99.

Sale of the book in all time zones preceding the United Kingdom is embargoed until 00:01 am BST (British Summer Time) on Saturday 16th July, 2005.

For further information please contact:

Lucy Holden — 020 7494 6055 or lucy_holden@bloomsbury.com

Katie Bond — 020 7494 6012 or katie_bond@bloomsbury.com

Financial Journalists please contact:

Charlie Palmer at Financial Dynamics

Tel: 020 7269 7180 or charlie.palmer@fd.com

Link

bounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gif

Edited by Kellalor

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• JennRose

• TheCrow

• Feenix Fire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just about to post this myself, Kellalor. laugh.gif I'm looking forward to it, but I must admit my excitement over the Potter books has waned a lot in the past couple of years. I suppose from overexposure. hmm.gif

Looking forward to it.

WOOOOOOO!!!

WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

How exciting! I finally have a date to watch for! FINALLY!!!

For the Spanish version I gotta wait until January 2006 crying.gif

Guess I'm gonna read it in English, did the same for Order of the Phoenix grin2.gif

The story will easily be the best yet.

And i've waited VERY patiently to find out why exactly Rowling had Sirius killed off!

Careful Burns, don't go giving away secrets! tongue.gif But I agree, there were SO many loose ends at the end of the last one.

On a side note: I think Gary Oldman as Sirius was a big slice of GENIUS. grin2.gif

The casting was amazing in all the films (except the new Dumbledore, he didn't have the presence the old one had. I think Ian McKellen would have been a better choice).

The casting was amazing in all the films (except the new Dumbledore, he didn't have the presence the old one had. I think Ian McKellen would have been a better choice).

417931[/snapback]

Ian probably doesn't want to be typecast as a wizard, although we all know how well he does. And I loved Richard Harris, he is irreplacable... crying.gif

Yeah, i was p***ed whn Sirius was killed......Maybe he wasnt

Edited by jeremy_rumbolt

I was happy with Michael Gambon's portrayal... The way he acted it and spoke is more how I pictured Dumbledore but I think, like you said Burnside, Richard Harris had a better prescence as Dumbldore. I do love Harris's portrayal though, it's so gentle and caring yet powerful at the same time.

Gary Oldman as Sirius was genius indeed. David Thewlis as Lupin, I wasn't so big on when I heard it but I think he did a good job.

I'm happy with the new castings for GOF too although I would have prefered Joanna Lumbley as Rita Skeeter and either Pete Postelwaith, Billy Conolly or Tom Baker as Mad Eye Moody. But the two people they have - Miranda Richardson and Brendan Gleeson should be fine.

And Roger Llyod-Pack (aka Trigger in Only Fools and Horses) is great as barty Crouch and the actor they have chosen for Igor Karkaroff is also good.

Really looking forward to the HBP. I wonder who it is... probably some new character or maybe

the elusive Mark Evans

Edited by TheCrow

417931[/snapback]

Ian probably doesn't want to be typecast as a wizard, although we all know how well he does. And I loved Richard Harris, he is irreplacable... crying.gif

418009[/snapback]

Ian McKellon would have been good but what you say is most likely true. He was offered the part but I assume he didn't want to be typecast as a wizard because he turned it down.

TRIGGER as CROUCH!? That's GENIUS!

Agreed with Lupin. I hadn't really pictured him like that, BUT, he was still done well.

Did anyone notice that major things were missing from Azkaban? Like they didn't even bother to explain who Padfoot, Wormtail, Mooney etc where on Harrys map. Little things like that.

GOF will be a very difficult movie to pull off, mainly because of the sheer size of it. I'm worried, but hopeful. It's things like Moodys character, the Quidditch world cup etc that will make or break it.

Did anyone notice that major things were missing from Azkaban? Like they didn't even bother to explain who Padfoot, Wormtail, Mooney etc where on Harrys map.

418030[/snapback]

Yes, I think that was far too important to leave out! POA has been favorite book so far, and hated to see so much cut out. I realize they had to for time's sake, but good grief!

I need to see it again, so I can have more examples...

I think 3, 4 and 5 should be made into TWO movies. There's simply to much to be cutting out like that.

It would be simple to do. Just film it all in one go, and release it as two movies over the course of 6 months.

Meh what do i know i don't do films.

TRIGGER as CROUCH!? That's GENIUS!

Agreed with Lupin. I hadn't really pictured him like that, BUT, he was still done well.

Did anyone notice that major things were missing from Azkaban? Like they didn't even bother to explain who Padfoot, Wormtail, Mooney etc where on Harrys map. Little things like that.

GOF will be a very difficult movie to pull off, mainly because of the sheer size of it. I'm worried, but hopeful. It's things like Moodys character, the Quidditch world cup etc that will make or break it.

418030[/snapback]

True... There were quite a few little things missing from of changed in POA but JKR was happy about it and how Cuaron portrayed it. I myself don't really mind the changes in POA, especially the new layout/look of things - much better imo! except for the leaving out of the explanation as to who P,W,M and P are (which I beleive they are including in GOF). That was the only bit I was really dissapointed about in POA. Aside from that I love it, I think it's the best HP movie to date.

JKR has even said that Cuaron was so in touch with the book and its themes that he un-intentionally included something in the movie which wasn't in the book which indicates/will be a big thing in one of the last two books.

And what you say about GOF is also true... Obviously because the books get longer and more complicated they will be harder to transfer to film but so far they have done a good job and I beleive they will have done a good job with GOF too. With Mike Newell directing it should turn out good.

Did you know that they have got a new guy to write the screenplay for OOTP? A guy called Michael Goldenberg, who has written the screenplays for Peter Pan (2003) and Where the Wild Things Are (2005). I don't really know what to think about this. Steven Kloves, after having adapted 4 of the books will be use to the style and how things are going and so on, so he will be 'tuned' into it but a new writer could bring in some new 'energy' and perhaps see things different to how Kloves does, so might be able to condense OOTP better than Kloves might have.

Also, did you know that Ralph Fienes is playing Lord Voldermort? You probably do, given it's such a big thing. He't not the first name that came to me but I think he will do a good job. It has also been reported that Voldermort will feature heavy prosphetics and/or CGI, atleast until he gains power at the end.

I've heard that there will be NO Quidditch in GOF. How can that be? The whole first part of the book is a tthe tournament.

I did know that, i think Finnes is a marvelous character.

I know what you mean about the part in POA that wasn't in the book but will be very important.

*spoiler*

(Lupin turns to Harry) "You look just like your father. Except for your eyes. You have..."

(Harry smiles, replies) "My mothers eyes".

I was exceptionally pleased with the new look of POA to be honest. It felt a little less artificial and more like the actual england countryside with rolling hills on the moors and whatnot.

As for the new writer, it is a littlw worrying but also i can see it being a good think. Mayhaps after the 4th film audiences will see a change a little refreshing.

I've heard that there will be NO Quidditch in GOF.  How can that be?  The whole first part of the book is a tthe tournament.

418098[/snapback]

Yeah that wouldn't make sense at all. That's a very important part, especially with the Death Eaters and whatnot.

I also heard there will be no love interest for Harry anymore, which means (i can't remember her name. Chioy?) Will be cut. BooooO!!

I whole-heartedly agree with everyone on the new 'look' of the HP movies. Definitely more believable and, dare I say, magical? The first ride on Buckbeak was SO amazing... grin2.gif

Anywhoo...do you mean, Burnside, that in the last 2 books Harry has no love interest or the whole side-plot with Cho has been dropped for the next movie?

Edited by JennRose

Cho, that's her name. I mean apparently it's been dropped from the next movie.