Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mystery of the the 'Crooked Forest'

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,637 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

With their trunks all bent the northward, these trees look like something straight out of one of the more uncomfortable fairy tales.

Surrounded by a larger forest of straight growing pine trees near Gryfino, north-west Poland, this grove of curved trees - dubbed the 'Crooked Forest' - is a mystery.

The curved pines, of which there are about 400, were planted around 1930.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:24 AM

interesting article - thanks for posting it :)

#3    Crypto2357

Crypto2357

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

There are similar trees here in north eastern PA that do the same thing.  They are located on a plot of land labeled Satan's Hill.  There is an old church on top of the hill where its said that satan worshipers use and as you go up the mile long drive, trees that are similar to these line the whole driveway, except they all bend away from the driveway. No real explanation for it. Whenever we tried to get close to the church however we would always be cornerd by individuals in white vans and trucks that forced us off the property.  pretty awesome.

#4    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,830 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

View PostCrypto2357, on 12 October 2011 - 11:32 AM, said:

There are similar trees here in north eastern PA that do the same thing.  They are located on a plot of land labeled Satan's Hill.  There is an old church on top of the hill where its said that satan worshipers use and as you go up the mile long drive, trees that are similar to these line the whole driveway, except they all bend away from the driveway. No real explanation for it. Whenever we tried to get close to the church however we would always be cornerd by individuals in white vans and trucks that forced us off the property.  pretty awesome.

Your story sounds a little bit... made up.  :yes:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#5    Keosen

Keosen

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 242 posts

• Cynical skeptic, caution advised

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:37 PM

View PostCrypto2357, on 12 October 2011 - 11:32 AM, said:

Take a break from Hollywood movies for a while.

Feel free to bulll**** me, but do it in a way that would take me more than 5 minutes to debunk you.
If one person has an imaginary friend, it's crazy, If many people have the same imaginary friend it's religion
The only truly mystical thing in this world is he mystical human hunger for bull****

#6    Cryptozological Mascot

Cryptozological Mascot

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

• “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.” –Martin Reese, British Astronomer

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

I've heard of this place before, and there are links on this sight regarding it.  Lots 'o weird tales about the place.

#7    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,474 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

I don't think it is much of a mystery to someone who does Bonsai.  It is just Bonsai ramped up a notch.  :rolleyes:

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#8    Crypto2357

Crypto2357

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

Except the story is a little bit........true.  Check out the book Weird Pennsylvania.  Theres a few pages about it.  Maybe it should have been a Hollywood movie, but my friends and I know for a fact that its not.  Its private property and who knows what they worship, just wierd when all the signs, tree trunks and rocks have pentagrams and 666 all over them and the trees are deformed in that manner.

Edited by Crypto2357, 12 October 2011 - 04:13 PM.

#9    Blackwhite

Blackwhite

Psychic Spy

• 1,081 posts

• I am minuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericabobulations.

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

I can't believe the British newspaper The Daily Mail used the American "plows" rather than the British "ploughs."

#10    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,637 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

View PostBlackwhite, on 12 October 2011 - 06:11 PM, said:

I can't believe the British newspaper The Daily Mail used the American "plows" rather than the British "ploughs."
I don't see how it matters which spelling is used when they both have the same meaning. It doesn't make the article less interesting either.

Posted Image

#11    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

that is odd un-tree-like behavior

SRS

#12    ThePitOfReason

ThePitOfReason

Remote Viewer

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:14 AM

Someone forced the trees to grow like this for a reason. They must have had an idea. I see some cool furniture and rocking chairs.

#13    Swamptick

Swamptick

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 140 posts

• "What you do speaks so loudly I cannot hear what you say." - Head Coach Nick Saban, The University of Alabama

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

Cool pic, but the growth is utterly normal. The trees just followed the path of available light at the time they were smaller.

#14    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,739 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

Yeah, I think this was more along the lines of someone cultivating the trees to bend. From the article: "the outbreak of the Second World War interrupted the plans of whoever was growing and tending the grove, leaving their plans a mystery." Perhaps the person responsible perished in the war?

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#15    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

Well, we can only guess it was human intervention, but that can't be verified, so it remains a mystery I guess.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users