Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Does anyone recognize this symbol?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1    RandomPerson

RandomPerson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hi.

Does anyone recognize this symbol? I don't know what it means, have been searching the web for some time.
I would greatly appreciate any answer. I've tried to recreate the symbol in mspaint. It can be found by clicking on the link below.

http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlMOFIZA2js

#2    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,463 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Attached File  2s1kn89.jpg   12.09K   30 downloads Hi RandomPerson,  i don't know.. but i'm sure you've noticed the similarity to  ..

this > Attached File  Rod_of_Asclepius2.svg.png   20K   20 downloads

http://en.wikipedia....od_of_Asclepius

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#3    RandomPerson

RandomPerson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

Thanks lightly.

I've seen that one before. It is very similar, but it lacks the dot in the lower right corner. Might be that the symbol I've seen is a variation of the Rod of Ascleipus, but I haven't found one with the aforementioned dot. That is why I am slightly sceptical to that interpretation.

Edited by RandomPerson, 07 October 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#4    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

What is the symbol's background? You've posted under Ghosts and Hauntings for a reason I take it?

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#5    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

Where did you see this symbol? That information might be helpful in figuring out what it is.

#6    RandomPerson

RandomPerson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

I don't want to be too specific, but can say that it was depicted on a wall in a house in Australia.

#7    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostRandomPerson, on 07 October 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

I don't want to be too specific, but can say that it was depicted on a wall in a house in Australia.

Um... An abandoned house, house of worship, house occupied by living people? Out in the boonies, in the middle of town or in a bad neighborhood where people spraypaint buildings? Inside or outside the house?

You don't need to get specific on exactly where the house is, but that kind of information is helpful too.

#8    RandomPerson

RandomPerson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

And old and abandoned house out in the countryside. It is inside the house.

If the house is haunted? I don't believe in such things, but I am not as sure as I used to be.

#9    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,857 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

It does look like the Rod of Asclepius.

Any chance of getting an actual photo of it?

For what it's worth, the rod is often associated with medicine and healing.  You sometimes see it on the logo of medical or pharmacy companies, on medical products, etc.  Don't know if that's relevant.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#10    RandomPerson

RandomPerson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

Don't have a picture I can share.

So there is nothing "bad" about this symbol? Why would a person paint it inside a house?

#11    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,857 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostRandomPerson, on 07 October 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Don't have a picture I can share.

So there is nothing "bad" about this symbol? Why would a person paint it inside a house?
Who knows.  You find all sorts of weird stuff inside old abandoned buildings.  When I was young I knew a guy who liked to spray paint pentagrams and made up occult looking stuff on building sites and abandoned buildings when we'd be out urban exploring.  He just thought it would freak people out thinking that Satanists or cult members had been performing rituals there.

I also remember a castle near where I used to go to school, finding pentagrams and other symbols burned into the grass on a few occasions. My best guess is like my friend above, bored teenagers doing it for a laugh.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#12    Ligia Cabus

Ligia Cabus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

• "Hell, ain't a bad place to be." AC/DC

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

it can be a 'signature' or symbol among those that identify 'angels... Seems to be.  I see symbols like this in a book of high magic; I am in doubt if I saw this symbol in  Dogma and Ritual of High Magic - (by Eliphas Levi) or in the Treatise Elementary Practice Magic - (by Papus). I have the two books and will search in them. These symbols are used in invocations in magical operations. I come back soon.

Edited by Ligia Cabus, 07 October 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#13    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,799 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

View PostRandomPerson, on 07 October 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

If there's nothing bad about it, it could be a symbol of protection.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#14    RandomPerson

RandomPerson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

Thanks Ligia Cabus. I look forward to hearing from you. If you find something that fits, please explain the meaning and context of this symbol.

#15    RandomPerson

RandomPerson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 07 October 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

If there's nothing bad about it, it could be a symbol of protection.

Yes, indeed. But what would the person need protection from?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users