Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

RIP Ray Manzarek (of the Doors)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,757 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

Ray Manzarek, keyboardist and founding member of The Doors, dies at 74 from cancer

By  Associated Press, Updated: Monday, May 20, 6:22 PM

Ray Manzarek, a founding member of The Doors whose versatile and often haunting keyboards complimented
Jim Morrison’s gloomy baritone and helped set the mood for some of rock’s most enduring songs, has died. He was 74.
Manzarek died Monday in Rosenheim, Germany, surrounded by his family, said publicist Heidi Robinson-Fitzgerald.
Robinson-Fitzgerald said his manager, Tom Vitorino, confirmed Manzarek died after being stricken by bile duct cancer.

The Doors’ original lineup, which also included drummer John Densmore and guitarist Robbie Krieger, was only together
for a few years. But the band has retained a large and obsessive following decades after Morrison’s death, in 1971.

The Doors have sold more than 100 million records and songs such as “Light My Fire” and “Riders On the Storm” are
still “classic” rock standards. For Doors admirers, the band symbolized the darker side of the Los Angeles lifestyle,
what happened to the city after the sun went down and the Beach Boys fans headed home.

Next to Morrison, Manzarek was the most distinctive looking band member, his glasses and wavy blond hair making
him resemble a young English professor more than a rock star, a contrast to Morrison’s Dionysian glamour — his sensuous
mouth and long, dark hair. Musically, Manzarek’s spidery organ on “Light My Fire” is one of the most instantly recognizable
sounds in rock history.

But he seemed up to finding the right touch for a wide range of songs — the sleepy, lounge-style keyboards on “Riders On the Storm”;
the liquid strains for “The Crystal Ship”; the barrelhouse romps on “Roadhouse Blues.” The Doors always considered themselves “more”
than a rock band and Manzarek, Densmore and Krieger often managed a flowing rapport that blended rock, blues and jazz behind
Morrison’s self-consciously poetic lyrics.

Manzarek continued to remain active in music well after Morrison’s death and briefly tried to hold the band together by serving as vocalist.
He played in other bands over the years, produced other acts, became an author and worked on films.

Morrison and Manzarek met at UCLA film school and ran into each other a few months after graduation, Manzarek recounted in a 1967
interview with Billboard.

Morrison read him the lyrics for a song called “Moonlight Drive.”
“I’d never heard lyrics to a rock song like that before,” Manzarek said. “We talked a while before we decided to get a group together and
make a million dollars.”

Manzarek is survived by his wife, Dorothy, his son Pablo and two brothers, Rick and James. Funeral arrangements are pending.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.washingto...7a8a_story.html

I always loved the Doors... RIP Ray...

Edited by Taun, 21 May 2013 - 12:38 AM.

#2    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,385 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:13 AM

Oh. Didn't know. How sad.

Yeah, great memories of their songs.

#3    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,115 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:27 AM

One of the greatest bands of any era. It will be a strange life for us when all of these musicians of real rock music are finally gone.

Edited by StarMountainKid, 21 May 2013 - 01:27 AM.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#4    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

Ty Taun. This one (margarita) is for you, Ray.

#5    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,299 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

R.I.P.  He did certainly add that vintage 60's appeal.  It seemed that the keyboards were more prominent than the guitar in a lot of Doors songs.

Also, he must have had a lot of patience to deal with Jim at times.

Edited by little_dreamer, 21 May 2013 - 01:34 AM.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#6    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:33 AM

Rest in peace ray.

#7    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

to bring Jim's poems to life in songs the man was a genius and will be greatly missed. and yes he must of had the patience of a saint to deal with the lizard king.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users