Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Derinkuyu Mystery Massive Underground City

Universal Trek

Cool.

There are vast necropolises under Rome and Paris, this could be the same - there because the inhabitants fled persecution.

• Like 1

I've read about this before. I'd not heard there were tunnels leading to other underground complexes though.

It was opened to visitors in 1969 and to date, about half of the underground city is accessible to tourists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derinkuyu_Underground_City

I'd like to go visit there someday.

I thought I had heard these kinds of underground cities were started by early Christians seeking to hide from the Romans. Or, is that a myth?

• Like 1

Cool.

There are vast necropolises under Rome and Paris, this could be the same - there because the inhabitants fled persecution.

I've read about this before. I'd not heard there were tunnels leading to other underground complexes though.

http://en.wikipedia....nderground_City

I'd like to go visit there someday.

I thought I had heard these kinds of underground cities were started by early Christians seeking to hide from the Romans. Or, is that a myth?

Could be a myth...who knows? Their above ground cities were also well protected ...it seems extreme to build something this complex in addition to the above ground facilities just to hide from the Romans....

Wicked! I would love to know more about this underground city!! I love it when they find these kinds of things! My imagination goes wild.

Hi Diechecker,

Wouldn't the Christians have to have been formed from the time of Christ?

jmccr8

• Like 1

Can someone enlighten me about how something that has been open to the public since the 1960s counts as a "discovery"?

--Jaylemurph

Can someone enlighten me about how something that has been open to the public since the 1960s counts as a "discovery"?

--Jaylemurph

Well it's new to me!

• Like 2

Cool I likes

Hi Diechecker,

Wouldn't the Christians have to have been formed from the time of Christ?

jmccr8

Oh yeah. You're right that says BC, not AD. :tu:

Regardless, I have heard the Christians occupied a lot of these underground dwellings.

Like I said, it could just be a myth also.

Hi Diechecker,

I know what you mean,do it myself just to see if anyone is paying attention :w00t: .

jmccr8

I am fascinated by these constructions.

We go ooh and aah but in those days doing a hard days work was as normal as us poking around on a keyboard all day