Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Elderly couple buzzed by UFO during drive

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46    General Kenobi

General Kenobi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hmmm, low flying, 'tenticles, lights, circular shape, This sounds more like a helocopter. Gear extended (or landing pads) spot lights, rotors shimmering in a circular arc...

#47    Amerix

Amerix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

So it's a couple that had two years to "get their story straight"..  ;)

#48    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

• Respectful of believers and skeptics alike.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 30 January 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

Nothing too dramatic, unfortunately, or at least, a much, much, longer timeline for it to develop.  There is really no way around the truism that necessity is the mother of invention, and war generates a huge amount of necessity.  Peace, not so much.
Not sure I totally agree with this statement. There are a tremendous amount of products in common use today that were developed for use by the Apollo space program.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#49    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,432 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

View Postarchernyc, on 30 January 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

Not sure I totally agree with this statement. There are a tremendous amount of products in common use today that were developed for use by the Apollo space program.
And what was the space program largely developed from? Werner von Braun's V-2.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#50    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,656 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:55 AM

To Space and Beond  !

This is a Work in Progress!

#51    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Alien Abducter

• 5,185 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:36 AM

View Post747400, on 30 January 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

And what was the space program largely developed from? Werner von Braun's V-2.

Umm... Don't you mean Robert Goddard and his work? Almost every major thing you see in the V-2 from the use of liquid fuel, gyroscopic guidance, impinging jets, and the use of steering vains in the exhaust was pioneered by Goddard. The V-2 is just a scaled-up Militarized version of Goddard's pioneering rocket research.

Although this latter point doesn't support aquatus's point in this specific instance because Hitler rejected the V-2 concept early on because it's Military use was nothing more than a glorified long-range artillery shell that had a prohibitive cost that could have not ever been justified, until late in the war when Hitler embraced it as a 'wonder' weapon meant to help German moral more than it was meant to be a real 'weapon' of any Military value.

On the other hand Goddard; Oberth and Von Braun as well; did much of their work which lead to the eventual development of the V-2 during the 1920's and 1930's during the intervening years of peace between World Wars which in this specific case leans toward archerny's point.

My opinion is that in general technological advancements really need both periods of Peace and War. The Modern day "Cold War" many of us are familiar with is really just the Modern version of the Technology War Human populations have been slowly fighting since the "Dawn" of civilization. While it may be true to an extent that decades of advancements can be perfected during a few years of 'War', advancements during periods of 'Peace' must far exceed them.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#52    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 18,730 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:45 AM

I beg to differ.  The reason the Apollo program got all the funding it did was due to the Cold War.  Not a traditional war, but a war nonetheless.

To be perfectly honest, I am not even sure we have had more periods of peace than war, but even if we did, I would like to see some support for the claim that advancements made in peacetime "far exceed" those during war.

Edited by aquatus1, 31 January 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#53    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Alien Abducter

• 5,185 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:18 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 31 January 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

I beg to differ.  The reason the Apollo program got all the funding it did was due to the Cold War.  Not a traditional war, but a war nonetheless.

To be perfectly honest, I am not even sure we have had more periods of peace than war, but even if we did, I would like to see some support for the claim that advancements made in peacetime "far exceed" those during war.

First, I said it was my "opinion". If you doubt my opinion that is fine. If you disagree I don't care but you should produce numbers before you disagree and ask me to do so!

Second, how is this NOT the 'Modern day' version of the 'technological War' that I talked about being prevalent in History? During times of 'Peace'?

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#54    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,432 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

View Postlost_shaman, on 31 January 2012 - 05:36 AM, said:

My opinion is that in general technological advancements really need both periods of Peace and War. The Modern day "Cold War" many of us are familiar with is really just the Modern version of the Technology War Human populations have been slowly fighting since the "Dawn" of civilization. While it may be true to an extent that decades of advancements can be perfected during a few years of 'War', advancements during periods of 'Peace' must far exceed them.
Without the impetus of wanting to get there before the Russians, would the "Space Race" ever have had any priority for Government funding? Look what's happened to the Space Race now, now there isn't that incentive. And wasn't rocket development mainly a spinoff of missile development?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#55    hilton1337

hilton1337

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 31 January 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

infact it was a race to own space, Russians did it first but didn't record it but Americans did so in the eyes of the media Americans won and this happened after WW2 because the Americans got caught spying over Russia and the plane was shot down, then.... the birth of the blackbird,

to 'kind of ' validate my point Americans didn't have resource or technological minded to create a super fast plane but when the scientists from the apposing side joined forces one of the most advance aircraft's was made and its still one of the most advance aircraft's today

yes it was created around war time (after/before) and is a tool of war but if there is no war to fight do you really think all these scientists would just go home and do nothing ... of course not, we still have loads of areas in and around earth yet to explore and there talents can help .... A lot

one person i have in mind about this is Dr. Michio Kaku ...... that guy is in the same league as Einstein if there was so such a big war on now do you think he would still be dreaming up all these mad gadgets, tools and possibly help to find another planet or just making weapons. You find scientist's are split into one of the 40 categories there best suited but if very little is used for weapons and defense because the planet was at peace then honestly i think we would be able to better our ways in fuel economy, find and cure more diseases and finally master space flight at light speed

but in all honesty there is always a jumped up fool looking for more power so this will never happen or will take a really really long time

#56    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Don't forget all the elderly people in Gulf Breeze who came forward to claim they had seen Ed Walters' UFO flying around after his Polaroids had made the papers. The whole thing was a hoax.

#57    Wildcard2

Wildcard2

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• To be or not to be That is the question.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:25 AM

The rude people the alien was lost and wanted directions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users