Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Squatting will now be a criminal offence

squatters jail criminal offence squatting

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,098 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

Squatters’ rights will be scrapped from tomorrow, and a new law will mean those who invade private homes face six months in jail.

Until now, police could not evict squatters as soon as they moved in, so a homeowner’s main option to get them out was through a civil court order – which could be time consuming, expensive and stressful.

The introduction of the criminal offence of squatting, which carries a prison sentence, a £5,000 fine or both, follows a Government consultation last summer and means police can arrest squatters immediately.

Housing minister Grant Shapps said: ‘No longer will there be so-called "squatters’ rights".

http://www.dailymail...d-tomorrow.html

Posted Image

#2    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

good, damn hippies!

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

If you don't want someone in your house or on your property you should be able to get them off without filing a civil suit.

#4    Kaikou

Kaikou

The Akuma Plant

• 1,728 posts

• What If you could look right through the cracks....

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'm surprised it's taken so long to make it illegal to be honest.

#5    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

Oh how I laughed when I first thought this meant a different kind of squatting..... :blush:

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#6    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,841 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Attached File  old man squatting.JPG   28.04K   10 downloads

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#7    Kaikou

Kaikou

The Akuma Plant

• 1,728 posts

• What If you could look right through the cracks....

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostCoffey, on 31 August 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

Oh how I laughed when I first thought this meant a different kind of squatting..... :blush:
I won't lie. You're not the only one mate!

#8    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

You have to admit this government doesn't just talk about it.

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#9    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 31 August 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

Squatters’ rights will be scrapped from tomorrow, and a new law will mean those who invade private homes face six months in jail.

Until now, police could not evict squatters as soon as they moved in, so a homeowner’s main option to get them out was through a civil court order – which could be time consuming, expensive and stressful.

The introduction of the criminal offence of squatting, which carries a prison sentence, a £5,000 fine or both, follows a Government consultation last summer and means police can arrest squatters immediately.

Housing minister Grant Shapps said: ‘No longer will there be so-called "squatters’ rights".

http://www.dailymail...d-tomorrow.html

Well at least they'll eat in prison lol.

#10    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,104 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

Ah, a good news item for a change. :clap:

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#11    misty55

misty55

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

About time.

#12    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Good news.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#13    Sthenno

Sthenno

Poltergeist

• 2,167 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:42 AM

The thing that this story - and most anti-squatting attitudes - overlook is that squatting has a massively positive side. Don't get me wrong, of course it's rubbish if you've scrimped and saved for your home, come back after a month away and find it occupied by a bunch of hippies. But this, in my experience, is rarely the case. 'Squatters rights' are more commonly used to claim communal ownership of council owned places that have been derelict for years. For example, in the one case I have been involved in squatting it was to take over a building which had long been promised to the community but neglected to the point of dereliction by the council. Yes, we claimed 'squatters rights', but only to open the space up to the community and raise awareness of its neglect. It's easy to believe that this new legislation is protecting innocent homeowners, but in reality it's another way for local councils to protect their own interests...

#14    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

View PostSthenno, on 05 September 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

It's easy to believe that this new legislation is protecting innocent homeowners,
That's because it is.

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#15    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,104 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostSthenno, on 05 September 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

The thing that this story - and most anti-squatting attitudes - overlook is that squatting has a massively positive side. Don't get me wrong, of course it's rubbish if you've scrimped and saved for your home, come back after a month away and find it occupied by a bunch of hippies. But this, in my experience, is rarely the case. 'Squatters rights' are more commonly used to claim communal ownership of council owned places that have been derelict for years. For example, in the one case I have been involved in squatting it was to take over a building which had long been promised to the community but neglected to the point of dereliction by the council. Yes, we claimed 'squatters rights', but only to open the space up to the community and raise awareness of its neglect. It's easy to believe that this new legislation is protecting innocent homeowners, but in reality it's another way for local councils to protect their own interests...

And having said all that, if it only saves one person the misery of having their home invaded & trashed, then it is a welcome change to the law.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

Also tagged with squatters, jail, criminal offence, squatting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users