Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

vikings

louie

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• seax

• Piney

• Lady Amethyst

• vulcan21

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/47024,featur...gs-get-pr-boost

intresting side to the vikings we dont hear much about

The vikings have always gotten a bad rap and to some extent they earned the name they have. But a lot of people fail to know that Charlemagne had about 4500 Saxon chieftans beheaded because they cremated their dead...in his eyes this was not christian. Saxons aren't vikings I know...but they were basically the same people...livings in close vicinity of one another and bad news spreads like wild fire. It has been said that this act of Charlemanges encouraged the Viking excursions as well as the Saxon invasion of England..not to mention the fact that land where the

Saxons lived historically was sinking and going under water.

Cause and effect...true then...true now.

best regards,

seax B)

The Vikings are always a favourite of mine. No one considers that they travelled so far and discovered the Americas before Columbus.

The Vikings are always a favourite of mine. No one considers that they travelled so far and discovered the Americas before Columbus.

They were a facinating people despite the the bad name they had. They made their mark on our civilization.

best regards,

seax B)

Nothing is ever written about the Estonian, Prussian, or Finnish Vikings. Just some vague references by some crusading bishops during the Northern Crusades.

As for the Saxons, Charlemagne fought them for decades using conversion as a excuse. He burnt their sacred pole the Irminsul (named for their ancestral god Irmin or Herman) and slaughtered men woman and children.

Lapiche

Nothing is ever written about the Estonian, Prussian, or Finnish Vikings. Just some vague references by some crusading bishops during the Northern Crusades.

As for the Saxons, Charlemagne fought them for decades using conversion as a excuse. He burnt their sacred pole the Irminsul (named for their ancestral god Irmin or Herman) and slaughtered men woman and children.

Lapiche

And they were called 'barbarians' by Charlemangne...not a very good time for christianity. In my opinion the Vikings have never really been understood mainly because of the way history was taught in school. Until you really get to studying European history on a higher level does it really explain that 'Viking ' is a name given to scandanavian peoples for actions not race or ethnic group. I have talked to many people in the past that did not know that William..Duke of Normandy was of 'norse' lineage. In fact all of Normandy...'land of the north men'. So...to look at it realistically...the vikings that settled Normandy...after the Norman Conquest ruled England...(even after the Dane Law) and from that the settling of America. Though the Saxons language mixed with 'French' from the Normans became the dominant language 'English'.

It is unfortunate..much of this is not taught in schools.

best regards,

seax B)

Edited by seax

Very interesting indeed. I wish the modern media would stop portraying them as wearing helmets with the cow horms on them all the time.

Very interesting indeed. I wish the modern media would stop portraying them as wearing helmets with the cow horms on them all the time.

LOL ...... How true Vulcan. You know Vikings never wore horned helments. I guess the Irish monks and villagers that were harassed by them looked at them as horned devils. :devil:

They were an interesting group of people that I feel have not had equal time in our history books especially in grammar school and high schools. I was taught more in school about the Greeks and Romans and their gods and only paragraphs about the Vikings. We had to read 'The Illiad and the Oddessy' but were only told a story about 'Beowulf' which was an epic poem about a Saxon hero. At that time historians were still arguing if 'Beowulf was Saxon or Celtic' maybe that's why.

best regards,

seax :devil:

Burly pirates that wore skins.

:lol:

Vikings are fun.

Burly pirates that wore skins.

:lol:

Vikings are fun.

You know why they called the 'Berzerkers' ......berzerkers eqhumby? Because they wore (in many cases) bearskins. Which loosely translated means 'bear skin'. I am assuming you know what a 'berzerker is'. :lol: A Viking that they said would go crazy in the heat of battle and foam at the mouth thus the word 'berzerk' in the english language. Some historians say they ate 'mushrooms' that had an intoxicating effect or a 'high' that made them go crazy and had no fear of death.

best regards,

seax B)

Beowulf' which was an epic poem about a Saxon hero. At that time historians were still arguing if 'Beowulf was Saxon or Celtic' maybe that's why.

best regards,

seax :devil:

The Geats were Saxons?? I thought they were Danes. That's interesting. I had to read 'Beowulf'. But I never researched the background.

I noticed your named for a Saxon meat cleaver/Machete -Seax

Lapiche

The Geats were Saxons?? I thought they were Danes. That's interesting. I had to read 'Beowulf'. But I never researched the background.

I noticed your named for a Saxon meat cleaver/Machete -Seax

Lapiche

LOL... :lol: well...I've haven't heard it put that way before Piney...but I guess you could say so. A knife or short sword used by the Saxons and the norse but it is believed the 'knife' was where the Saxons got their name. I did some geneology a few years back and since my family came here from England...both great grandfathers the surname was Saxon and the first record of the name was around Yorkshire. So..I adopted the name 'seax' on line. You are pretty sharp Piney...maybe you should be 'seax' since you are so sharp :tu:

best regards,

seax B)

ps-- I think you meant 'celts' no they were not Saxon...a different group of people also believed to have migrated from Germany.

Edited by seax

Vikings are sexy!!!! Well when there not all burning down huts and looting. I would watch that mow my grass! *makes kitty noises*

• 3 weeks later...

:o

Does that mean I can't wear my Viking hat (with horns) to the Christmas Fancy Dress Party again this year? :(

Edited by sarah snow

just more proof you can't believe what you read ... all of it should be taken with a grain of salt. especially history. there are always two sides to a coin and truth usually lays somewhere in the middle.

Yeah!

So get off of our backs!

:st

Vikings are trully a magnificent race.

Though the danish vikings were a lot more agresive than norwegian vikings (I think that it is simpel to see by the arciteture in the lands). ^_^