Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Record-breaking 128lb Python,18ft & 8in long

python florida everglades jason leon

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 35,927 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

The biggest ever Python snake found in Florida, measuring 18 feet and 8 inches long, has been captured and killed.

The 128lb giant female reptile broke the previous record by over a foot.

The Burmese Python, an invasive species to the Florida Everglades, was found and killed by Jason Leon in a rural area southeast of Miami.

http://www.dailymail...ed-Florida.html

Posted Image

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,088 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

So glad people got them for pets and turned them loose.  People in Florida needed another reason to worry about their kids and pets safety.

That thing is big and bet there is more just as big or bigger.

#3    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Eternal Seeker

• 2,649 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

I don't understand why they have to be killed.. Sure they're invasive, but why not put them where they belong?

#4    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,664 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

The state put a bounty on the 'invasive' species ... means if you keep one alive it means 'harboring' one ... means a law will be broken

The knower and the known are one. Simple people imagine that they should see God, as if He stood there and they here. This is not so. God and I, we are one in knowledge. ~ Eckhart

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#5    markdohle

markdohle

Government Agent

• 4,293 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Put them where, the expense.  I agree though, it is a shame.

#6    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

18 feet 8 inches...hummm...thats make how many pairs of boots? or some woman a nice dress or skirt even sum nice jeans wow just a lot of possabilties and would be doing the state of fl a favore as well seems to me like a win win all around wouldnt be the first critter  to be harvisted for other means other then just killing

#7    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostAliveInDeath7, on 21 May 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

I don't understand why they have to be killed.. Sure they're invasive, but why not put them where they belong?

Zoos and even some pet shops are awash in giant constrictors. The feeding bill alone has got to be hugely expensive. If S. Florida ever wants to get rid of invasive animals like Retic Pythons, Green Iguana and Ferrel Hogs there should be a year-round open season on them, even in state parks like the Everglades, because they are expanding their territories with each new batch of young. It is sad animals must be killed but they do not belong in this habitat and they are altering the native ecosystem. I would not be surprised if these species are not just the tip of the iceberg. I saw a show where snake catchers in S. Florida were called out to capture a snake which turned out to be a King Cobra. On another episode it was a Salt Water Crocodile from Australia. Who knows what is actually loose and possibly reproducing down there?

BTW if you want to see the harm an invasive species can really do, see what the Brown Tree Snake did to the island of Guam and it's indigenous wildlife. Then you will know why they need to get serious about control.

#8    Lex540

Lex540

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

• I am unique and distinct

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

I don't see why they killed the snake

#9    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

That is the stuff of nightmares!   I would be completely agoraphobic if I had to worry about snakes that size or even half it's size... ok anything over 3 feet.

Those guys were lucky.  it could have ended much differently.  I think it's a shame to have to kill such a majestically interesting animal but I understand why.

Bad karma on the releasers who started this mess.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#10    jules99

jules99

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Python Steaks (2 in a 250g Pack) - MPYWHFP51

Posted Image

Price: £22.31

Supposed to taste a bit like calamari

#11    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

• MYSTICWEREWOLF FOR PRESIDENT.as a write in vote

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

if cooked wrong ( any way other than stewed or boiled until tender) then it is really really tough when they are that big ( yes I have had snake meat, I've had rattle snake, cobra and some type of Asian constrictor  which I cannot remember the name Of )  )  but having had and disliked calamari,  I don't think they taste anything alike.
I am surprised that  more people haven't started hunting some of the invasive species in Florida  for the bounties.

#12    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,178 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 21 May 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

That is the stuff of nightmares!   I would be completely agoraphobic if I had to worry about snakes that size or even half it's size... ok anything over 3 feet.

Those guys were lucky.  it could have ended much differently.  I think it's a shame to have to kill such a majestically interesting animal but I understand why.

Bad karma on the releasers who started this mess.

Some of the releases were no doubt from pet owners, but not necessarily on purpose, snakes are master escape artists. I had a native yellow rat snake for a year or so before it managed to escape its cage and a workshop and got outside, which was okay since they are local anyway, but you would be surprised how strong a constrictor can be.

My understanding is that most of the pythons were released by Hurricane Andrew when it leveled a breeding facility of snakes for the pet trade. A large number were released at once near the Everglades and formed the nexus of a breeding population. There is some thought that the hurricane was also was responsible for the release of Lionfish into the Atlantic as well as supposedly a tropical fish importer on the ocean was damaged as well, but that seems a bit more unlikely.

#13    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Eternal Seeker

• 2,649 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

I guess I should've said that I am against them having to be killed when humans bought them and freed them illegally.

Edited by AliveInDeath7, 21 May 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#14    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,074 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

Good idea to put a season on them. It should help keep the population in check.
Especially if given a good price. They have rattlesnake roundups. Why not Python roundups.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#15    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

View Postjustcalmebubba, on 21 May 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

18 feet 8 inches...hummm...thats make how many pairs of boots? or some woman a nice dress or skirt even sum nice jeans wow just a lot of possabilties and would be doing the state of fl a favore as well seems to me like a win win all around wouldnt be the first critter  to be harvisted for other means other then just killing
Skirt or dress in snakeskin is just a waste of snake and only Steven Tyler can get away with snakeskin jeans.
Lets just stick with shoes, belts , handbags , pursers and wallets. Like what God intended them to be used for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users