Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Wedding of Jesus

Ben Masada

THE WEDDING OF JESUS

Now, please, hold on unto the stones, and no throwing at least until you hear what I have to say. Besides, that's not my final word. I am still researching the matter. I am partially submitting this topic for some second thoughts to make sure it remains no doubt in my mind.

Jesus was a Rabbi and here are the proofs: Matthew 23:7; Luke 7:37-39; John 1:38; 3:2; 20:16. In many other instances he was addressed as Master which means the same. The point is that a Rabbi in Israel, then and today, had to be a married man or about to get married. Otherwise, he could not be "ordained" as such. According to Judaism, after the proper procedure, the Jewish prospect would undergo the ceremonial "mikveh" or immersion in waters and, if not married yet, to take care of that before "ordination."

After Jesus' immersion in the Jordan River by Yonathan the Immerser, Jesus was seen during the next two days recruiting his disciples and on his way to Galilee. (John 1:35,43) Then on the third day after his mikveh, the family and friends were celebrating his wedding in Cana with Mary Magdalene. Wait! Put down the stones! I'll explain. First of all, and according to the custom, usually the mother of the Bride would be in charge of the celebrations, but probably Mary's parents had passed away because she used to live with her sister Martha and brother Lazarus in Bethany. I mean, they used to live with Mary who was the one well-to-do. Martha would pay her room-and-board as a maiden servant, and Lazarus... well, I think he was a loafer boy taking advantage of his rich sister. He was probably a sick man anyway.

Okay, but back to the wedding, Jesus' mother Mary had to do the host job; and she did it quite well, by giving orders around to the servants. Also, according to the custom, the Bridegroom was in charge to provide the guests, especially with the wine, which Jesus, mind you, made sure it was of the best quality. The tale of the miracle was interpolated much later to deviate the probing attention of those who have a mind of their own from finding out what was really going on in Canah.

After Jesus' wedding, you can check for yourselves, all Jesus' come-and-goes were from and to Bethany, the home of Mary Magdalene. It must have been a very spacious and beautiful home since Mary had the means to maintain it. Mind you that she would also take the tab for the expenses of Jesus' group of the Twelve, along with some other women of course who would pitch in from time to time. (Luke 8:2,3)

Whenever Jesus would return from his missionary campains throughout Israel, the address was Bethany. To his wife obviously, although most the time Mary Magdalene would follow Jesus as his beloved disciple; but never like one of the Twelve. The Church later interpolated John as the "beloved disciple" for the same reason to get the mind of the readers away from the thought that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. But it's not helping because the evidences are just too shouting.

Do we have any hint to pick up as evidence for any romantic approach prior or after their wedding? Of course, we do! After Jesus exorcized seven demons from Mary she must have fallen in love with him.(Luke 8:1-3) The expression seven demons means only the struggle Jesus had to go through to extricate Mary from her not-so-reputable business in Magdala. Then, in Bethany - where else? - when Mary was smearing Jesus' body with that expensive pefume, we all know, although we forbid ourselves to think about, that Mary did not just throw that perfume at him from afar. Definitely not! she did smear him almost all over even in terms of massage, so much so that some of the guests thought it to be unbecoming. (Mat. 26:10-13; Luke 7:37-39)

Then, while everyone else would address Jesus as Rabbi, even his friend Nicodemus, (John 3:1,2) Mary would call him "Rabboni," a colloquial term used as an expression of love, especially by a Rabbi's wife. It also means "Master of my suffering," as Rachel named her son Benoni before she died from child birth. (Gen. 35:18) Jesus was the master of Mary's predicament to change her life style. In another occasion, when Mary went to the tomb area after the crucifixion, and saw the empty tomb, she never suffered more in her life. She wanted to take him away with her. (John 20:15) Then, she was crying without consolation. In the middle of her travails, she saw a man standing by and took him for the Gardener. "Why are you crying?" the man asked. Of course, Jesus knew why, but he wanted to enjoy the answer from his beloved's own lips. Alas! She did not identify him; it was too dark. But then Jesus tried her name the way he used to call her: "Mary...!" It's hard to say it in writing, but Mary melted all down and exclaimed" "Raboni!"

This term "Raboni", or Master of my sufferings, is such a solemn and love-tender expression in Hebrew and Aramaic that only seldom it is used out of the frame of deep love. It was then that she jumped to hug him but Jesus, probably all in bandages, forbade her to cause him any unnecessary pain. He would meet her later at more propitious circumstances. (John 20:17) Then, after some apparitions to the disciples, Jesus said goodbye and left his company. From then on, the names of these three peoples were never mentioned again; Jesus, Mary Magdalene and Joseph of Arimathea. Jesus yes, but only in connection with his teachings by the Nazarenes, a Jewish Sect organized by his Apostles. Joseph had to go along because if he had stayed, he would probably be crucified for having cheated on Pilate regarding Jesus who was not dead when he was taken off the cross.

Today, there are three speculations about their whereabouts. The first is that they settled down incognito in Talpiot, a small town not too far south of Jerusalem, where some people have claimed to have found out the graves of Yeshua, Miriam and Joseph. I went there personally but just to be told that the area could not be explored or visited by order of the local Meier for being under an Apartment building. The second speculation is that they left Israel in the direction of Cashmere, India, where a Russian Archaeologist had found the graves of Yeshua, Miriam and Joseph under the sign of the shield of David. And the third speculation is the one of the Da Vinci Code, that the three went to Europe and settled down in the Southern part of France in a small village. And that Mary gave birth to a daughter, who eventually got married into the Merovingian nobility.

Whatever happened after Jesus said goodbye to his disciples, I don't endorse anything that has been speculated. My point is only to verify the truth about Jesus' marriage to Mary Magdalene. If that's true without the shadow of a doubt, we have only to be joyful that Jesus fulfilled also the commandment to get married and father children. Besides, a married man only adds to his honour for being so. Why deny Jesus the pleasure of being a man by experiencing the love of a woman? Obvious, don't you think so?

Okay, now you can throw the stones. Nu! I am ready! Hello! Where is everybody? Hellooo! Well, I guess they all left. They must have got the idea that they all have feelings too.

Ben

• Like 2

I think I have just had Deja vu!

• Like 1

I think I have just had Deja vu!

Try harder and share with us what you have been reminded of.

Ben, when Joesph died Jesus was the head of the family as the oldest son, the wedding at canon may have been one of his sisters, as why to he supplied the wine. Also in the tomb of Talpiot there a ossusrie Judan son of Jesus ,Judan was the youngest in the family after the sisters and Jesus may have taken the role of a father to him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Tomb_of_Jesus

Edited by docyabut2

THE WEDDING OF JESUS

Now, please, hold on unto the stones, and no throwing at least until you hear what I have to say. Besides, that's not my final word. I am still researching the matter. I am partially submitting this topic for some second thoughts to make sure it remains no doubt in my mind.

Jesus was a Rabbi and here are the proofs: Matthew 23:7; Luke 7:37-39; John 1:38; 3:2; 20:16. In many other instances he was addressed as Master which means the same. The point is that a Rabbi in Israel, then and today, had to be a married man or about to get married. Otherwise, he could not be "ordained" as such. According to Judaism, after the proper procedure, the Jewish prospect would undergo the ceremonial "mikveh" or immersion in waters and, if not married yet, to take care of that before "ordination."

After Jesus' immersion in the Jordan River by Yonathan the Immerser, Jesus was seen during the next two days recruiting his disciples and on his way to Galilee. (John 1:35,43) Then on the third day after his mikveh, the family and friends were celebrating his wedding in Cana with Mary Magdalene. Wait! Put down the stones! I'll explain. First of all, and according to the custom, usually the mother of the Bride would be in charge of the celebrations, but probably Mary's parents had passed away because she used to live with her sister Martha and brother Lazarus in Bethany. I mean, they used to live with Mary who was the one well-to-do. Martha would pay her room-and-board as a maiden servant, and Lazarus... well, I think he was a loafer boy taking advantage of his rich sister. He was probably a sick man anyway.

Okay, but back to the wedding, Jesus' mother Mary had to do the host job; and she did it quite well, by giving orders around to the servants. Also, according to the custom, the Bridegroom was in charge to provide the guests, especially with the wine, which Jesus, mind you, made sure it was of the best quality. The tale of the miracle was interpolated much later to deviate the probing attention of those who have a mind of their own from finding out what was really going on in Canah.

After Jesus' wedding, you can check for yourselves, all Jesus' come-and-goes were from and to Bethany, the home of Mary Magdalene. It must have been a very spacious and beautiful home since Mary had the means to maintain it. Mind you that she would also take the tab for the expenses of Jesus' group of the Twelve, along with some other women of course who would pitch in from time to time. (Luke 8:2,3)

Whenever Jesus would return from his missionary campains throughout Israel, the address was Bethany. To his wife obviously, although most the time Mary Magdalene would follow Jesus as his beloved disciple; but never like one of the Twelve. The Church later interpolated John as the "beloved disciple" for the same reason to get the mind of the readers away from the thought that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. But it's not helping because the evidences are just too shouting.

Do we have any hint to pick up as evidence for any romantic approach prior or after their wedding? Of course, we do! After Jesus exorcized seven demons from Mary she must have fallen in love with him.(Luke 8:1-3) The expression seven demons means only the struggle Jesus had to go through to extricate Mary from her not-so-reputable business in Magdala. Then, in Bethany - where else? - when Mary was smearing Jesus' body with that expensive pefume, we all know, although we forbid ourselves to think about, that Mary did not just throw that perfume at him from afar. Definitely not! she did smear him almost all over even in terms of massage, so much so that some of the guests thought it to be unbecoming. (Mat. 26:10-13; Luke 7:37-39)

Then, while everyone else would address Jesus as Rabbi, even his friend Nicodemus, (John 3:1,2) Mary would call him "Rabboni," a colloquial term used as an expression of love, especially by a Rabbi's wife. It also means "Master of my suffering," as Rachel named her son Benoni before she died from child birth. (Gen. 35:18) Jesus was the master of Mary's predicament to change her life style. In another occasion, when Mary went to the tomb area after the crucifixion, and saw the empty tomb, she never suffered more in her life. She wanted to take him away with her. (John 20:15) Then, she was crying without consolation. In the middle of her travails, she saw a man standing by and took him for the Gardener. "Why are you crying?" the man asked. Of course, Jesus knew why, but he wanted to enjoy the answer from his beloved's own lips. Alas! She did not identify him; it was too dark. But then Jesus tried her name the way he used to call her: "Mary...!" It's hard to say it in writing, but Mary melted all down and exclaimed" "Raboni!"

This term "Raboni", or Master of my sufferings, is such a solemn and love-tender expression in Hebrew and Aramaic that only seldom it is used out of the frame of deep love. It was then that she jumped to hug him but Jesus, probably all in bandages, forbade her to cause him any unnecessary pain. He would meet her later at more propitious circumstances. (John 20:17) Then, after some apparitions to the disciples, Jesus said goodbye and left his company. From then on, the names of these three peoples were never mentioned again; Jesus, Mary Magdalene and Joseph of Arimathea. Jesus yes, but only in connection with his teachings by the Nazarenes, a Jewish Sect organized by his Apostles. Joseph had to go along because if he had stayed, he would probably be crucified for having cheated on Pilate regarding Jesus who was not dead when he was taken off the cross.

Today, there are three speculations about their whereabouts. The first is that they settled down incognito in Talpiot, a small town not too far south of Jerusalem, where some people have claimed to have found out the graves of Yeshua, Miriam and Joseph. I went there personally but just to be told that the area could not be explored or visited by order of the local Meier for being under an Apartment building. The second speculation is that they left Israel in the direction of Cashmere, India, where a Russian Archaeologist had found the graves of Yeshua, Miriam and Joseph under the sign of the shield of David. And the third speculation is the one of the Da Vinci Code, that the three went to Europe and settled down in the Southern part of France in a small village. And that Mary gave birth to a daughter, who eventually got married into the Merovingian nobility.

Whatever happened after Jesus said goodbye to his disciples, I don't endorse anything that has been speculated. My point is only to verify the truth about Jesus' marriage to Mary Magdalene. If that's true without the shadow of a doubt, we have only to be joyful that Jesus fulfilled also the commandment to get married and father children. Besides, a married man only adds to his honour for being so. Why deny Jesus the pleasure of being a man by experiencing the love of a woman? Obvious, don't you think so?

Okay, now you can throw the stones. Nu! I am ready! Hello! Where is everybody? Hellooo! Well, I guess they all left. They must have got the idea that they all have feelings too.

Ben

What's that old saying " never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

fullywired

• Like 1

What's that old saying " never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

fullywired

... and if there's a few things you can throw in to make the story better, go ahead and do so. Edited by IamsSon

... and if there's a few things you can throw in to make the story better, go ahead and do so.

No., there are those on here with much more fertile imaginations than I, who will no doubt oblige you .Whilst I will content myself by sitting at the feet of the master

fullywired

• Like 1

Ben, when Joesph died Jesus was the head of the family as the oldest son, the wedding at canon may have been one of his sisters, as why to he supplied the wine. Also in the tomb of Talpiot there a ossusrie Judan son of Jesus ,Judan was the youngest in the family after the sisters and Jesus may have taken the role of a father to him.

http://en.wikipedia....t_Tomb_of_Jesus

Well, hypothetically every thing is possible but why all that, just to safeguard him from having been a married man? There are more contradictions to deal with if Jesus was a single man than if he was married.

Ben

I'm not an expert in these matters, but why not the OP's conjecture? I think Jesus as a married man would not be compatible with the idea of Jesus as Messiah, so his marriage would have been suppressed.

There seems to be more circumstantial evidence that he was maried than him being resurected. It's much more plausible to say the least.

Jesus was a Rabbi and here are the proofs: Matthew 23:7; Luke 7:37-39; John 1:38; 3:2; 20:16.

Ben

Goodness gracious... where to start? lol.

First off there's no scriptural evidence that Jesus was an ordained Rabbi. What is more likely and can be inferred from the scriptures is that because Jesus taught the Word of God and did so while performing miracles and teaching it from a position of authority, all those who believed on him called him Rabbi or Master out of respect. Those who believed on him were already believing him to be the prophesied Messiah and heir to the Throne of David. Therefore it is for those reasons that he was called Rabbi, not because of him ever being ordained...

First off, in Math 23:7 Jesus is talking about OTHERS liking to be called Rabbi because of the prestige that comes with it, HE'S NOT EVEN TALKING ABOUT HIMSELF OR IS ANYONE ELSE CALLING HIM RABBI!! Further on in that chapter he says that you have only ONE MASTER, even Christ! And we all know that He IS Christ, therefore he's giving you the reason right there as to why He is called Rabbi......because He is the prophesized Christ, He is Rabbi by his very nature, NOT because he was ordained, as Christ, he was ordained by GOD!

In Luke 7:37-39 Simon ( the phairasee that invited Jesus into is house) calls Jesus Master after people were upset he let a sinner touch him and Jesus begins to tell him a parable to justify what's happening....once again, as it states in verse 39: 36And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat. This Pharisee was different from the others there, he perceived Jesus was Teaching the True Word of God and he desired him to eat with him, it is out of respect and belief that Jesus's words are true that Jesus is called Master, not because he was an ordained Rabbi.... You will never see any of Jesus's enemies call him Rabbi to the best of my knowledge, and that's because only his followers and believers called him Rabbi or Master.

John 1:38 again, Jesus isn't called Master here because of any formal ordination, he was called Master because the disciples heard John The Baptist call Jesus The Lamb of God! Since they overheard this from John The Baptist they believed Jesus was a Master and Teacher.

35Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples;

36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!

37 And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.

38Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?

I will rest my case on the reason Jesus was called Rabbi,Rabboni, Master, ect was because his followers simply believed on Him and His Teachings as coming from God and not because he was an ordained Rabbi with this (which you attempted to use to argue the opposite) : John 3: 1-2:

1There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

You have not quoted any scripture that backs up your claim that Jesus kept going to Bethany and staying at Mary Magdalen's house, nor is there any truth to Mary Magdalene being the sister of Martha or lazarus... There is also nothing that says Mary Magdalene was the one who anointed Jesus's head with oil, and also your lieing about it being some sort of sexual massage act and the others there being upset by it, the scripture states they were upset that the whole box of oil was used for the anointing because it could have been sold to make money to give to the poor...

Mathew Chp 26:

6Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper,

7There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.

8But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste?

9 For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor.

10When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.

11For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.

Not only do these verses show the real reason they were angry, but also show Jesus in Bethany in Simon the leper's house, not Mary's as you have made up...

Lastly, Rabboni was just another way of saying Master as it states in the scripture. Also Jesus did die on the cross and rose again on the third day from the dead. All I can really say about your ridiculas topic post and attempt to use scripture to back up your Ludacris claims.....is that satan tries to use scripture to his advantage too, but just like how Jesus shut him up by using it the correct way, you and your crazy stories have also been shut up by the actual scriptures...

• Like 3

THE WEDDING OF JESUS

Ben

Just a small question but not inconsequential if you think about it...

How many prophets totally accepted by the Jews and whose books are part of the Tanakh were actually married?

Even further, John the Baptist, highly respected by the Jews even if not part of the Tanakh since he wrote no book, was he married?

The mistake you make is in thinking that Rabbi is a title. It is but it is not a formal title, it merely means teacher. In later centuries, it did become a formal title with a specific ordination, just as a priest.

There is no evidence that a teacher of the Law, just as aprophet of the law, had to be married. That it became accepted practice in later centuries is not in doubt, but it was not so at the time of Jesus.

It was certainly very common, but I can't find a requirement in the talmud, and I find two talmudic examples to indicate that such as not neccessary.

Sotah 4b says that Ben Azzai was unmarried and we know that he was called a Rabbi, although the title was never conferred to him officially. But the fact that many called him Rabbi anyway, demonstrates that the title is not needfully connected to a married man.

On Kiddushin 71b R. Yehudah of Pumbeditha is asked why his son, R. Yitzchak, is not yet married (and is an adult).

Kiddushin 82a does argue that an unmarried man cannot teach children, but this appears to be a concern about the appearance of impropriety, not a question about his ability or knowledge.

According to Rambam, getting married is highly recommended, even for a rabbi, but is not an absolute requirement. Perhaps in today's society it is less acceptable, but Halachically it is permitted, albeit not recommended.

http://judaism.stack...d-to-be-married

Edited by Jor-el
  • Like 2

I'm not an expert in these matters, but why not the OP's conjecture? I think Jesus as a married man would not be compatible with the idea of Jesus as Messiah, so his marriage would have been suppressed.

And I agree with you. Jesus' marriage was suppressed indeed but by the Church when the NT canon was organized. They had realized that to get "the son of God" as a married man on earth would be a serious complication to establish his divinity.

And I agree with you. Jesus' marriage was suppressed indeed but by the Church when the NT canon was organized. They had realized that to get "the son of God" as a married man on earth would be a serious complication to establish his divinity.

Why would that be the case?

There seems to be more circumstantial evidence that he was maried than him being resurected. It's much more plausible to say the least.

And you can say that again. The idea that Jesus had resurrected came about only 30 years after he had been gone. The one who fabricated the idea was Paul as he himself confessed to his disciple Timothy that the resurrection of Jesus was according to his gospel. (2 Tim.2:8) It means that obviously there was another gospel being preached at the time in whose agenda resurrection never happened to Jesus. Besides, Jesus was Jewish and Jews do not believe in resurrection.

And you can say that again. The idea that Jesus had resurrected came about only 30 years after he had been gone. The one who fabricated the idea was Paul as he himself confessed to his disciple Timothy that the resurrection of Jesus was according to his gospel. (2 Tim.2:8) It means that obviously there was another gospel being preached at the time in whose agenda resurrection never happened to Jesus. Besides, Jesus was Jewish and Jews do not believe in resurrection.

No actually the other gospel was not that the resurrection never happened it was that there was no such thing as the bodily resurrection of the dead for anybody, much like the Sadducees and you do as well.

• Like 1

Goodness gracious... where to start? lol.

First off there's no scriptural evidence that Jesus was an ordained Rabbi. What is more likely and can be inferred from the scriptures is that because Jesus taught the Word of God and did so while performing miracles and teaching it from a position of authority, all those who believed on him called him Rabbi or Master out of respect. Those who believed on him were already believing him to be the prophesied Messiah and heir to the Throne of David. Therefore it is for those reasons that he was called Rabbi, not because of him ever being ordained...

First off, in Math 23:7 Jesus is talking about OTHERS liking to be called Rabbi because of the prestige that comes with it, HE'S NOT EVEN TALKING ABOUT HIMSELF OR IS ANYONE ELSE CALLING HIM RABBI!! Further on in that chapter he says that you have only ONE MASTER, even Christ! And we all know that He IS Christ, therefore he's giving you the reason right there as to why He is called Rabbi......because He is the prophesized Christ, He is Rabbi by his very nature, NOT because he was ordained, as Christ, he was ordained by GOD!

In Luke 7:37-39 Simon ( the phairasee that invited Jesus into is house) calls Jesus Master after people were upset he let a sinner touch him and Jesus begins to tell him a parable to justify what's happening....once again, as it states in verse 39: 36And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat. This Pharisee was different from the others there, he perceived Jesus was Teaching the True Word of God and he desired him to eat with him, it is out of respect and belief that Jesus's words are true that Jesus is called Master, not because he was an ordained Rabbi.... You will never see any of Jesus's enemies call him Rabbi to the best of my knowledge, and that's because only his followers and believers called him Rabbi or Master.

John 1:38 again, Jesus isn't called Master here because of any formal ordination, he was called Master because the disciples heard John The Baptist call Jesus The Lamb of God! Since they overheard this from John The Baptist they believed Jesus was a Master and Teacher.

35Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples;

36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!

37 And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.

38Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?

I will rest my case on the reason Jesus was called Rabbi,Rabboni, Master, ect was because his followers simply believed on Him and His Teachings as coming from God and not because he was an ordained Rabbi with this (which you attempted to use to argue the opposite) : John 3: 1-2:

1There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

You have not quoted any scripture that backs up your claim that Jesus kept going to Bethany and staying at Mary Magdalen's house, nor is there any truth to Mary Magdalene being the sister of Martha or lazarus... There is also nothing that says Mary Magdalene was the one who anointed Jesus's head with oil, and also your lieing about it being some sort of sexual massage act and the others there being upset by it, the scripture states they were upset that the whole box of oil was used for the anointing because it could have been sold to make money to give to the poor...

Mathew Chp 26:

6Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper,

7There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.

8But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste?

9 For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor.

10When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.

11For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.

Not only do these verses show the real reason they were angry, but also show Jesus in Bethany in Simon the leper's house, not Mary's as you have made up...

Lastly, Rabboni was just another way of saying Master as it states in the scripture. Also Jesus did die on the cross and rose again on the third day from the dead. All I can really say about your ridiculas topic post and attempt to use scripture to back up your Ludacris claims.....is that satan tries to use scripture to his advantage too, but just like how Jesus shut him up by using it the correct way, you and your crazy stories have also been shut up by the actual scriptures...

MF, thank you for your support. Why? Because in your desperation to wish you could refute me you only showed an attitude of denial and confirmed all my views. But let me just correct you on a lapse of memory: we all know that Jesus was a religious Jew. Even today a very religious Orthodox Jew cannot be addressed by a strange woman in public. Imagine 2000 years ago. Now we have 4 gospels reporting about different women anointing Jesus with perfume from the head down to the feet in public. Not Jewish at all. Let alone a religious Jew. One gospel writer the one who attributed his gospel to John identifies the woman with being the sister of Martha and Lazarus. (John 11:2) The woman reported by Luke was a woman of the street aka a sinner. Pope Gregory the Great said that she was Mary Magdalene the prostitute. IMHO Mary Magdalene and Mary of Bethany the sister of Martha were one and the same. Married to Jesus. Hoping that the other two reported by Matthew and Mark are the same Jesus is okay. He was married to her. But if they were all different, what have the gospels done by considering Jesus a "Casanova"? Jesus could not have been

a Jew but a lascivious libertine aka a fornicator. Is that what you want for him? Wouldn't much better that he was a respectable married man? I would say so.

Just a small question but not inconsequential if you think about it...

How many prophets totally accepted by the Jews and whose books are part of the Tanakh were actually married?

Even further, John the Baptist, highly respected by the Jews even if not part of the Tanakh since he wrote no book, was he married?

The mistake you make is in thinking that Rabbi is a title. It is but it is not a formal title, it merely means teacher. In later centuries, it did become a formal title with a specific ordination, just as a priest.

There is no evidence that a teacher of the Law, just as aprophet of the law, had to be married. That it became accepted practice in later centuries is not in doubt, but it was not so at the time of Jesus.

It was certainly very common, but I can't find a requirement in the talmud, and I find two talmudic examples to indicate that such as not neccessary.

Sotah 4b says that Ben Azzai was unmarried and we know that he was called a Rabbi, although the title was never conferred to him officially. But the fact that many called him Rabbi anyway, demonstrates that the title is not needfully connected to a married man.

On Kiddushin 71b R. Yehudah of Pumbeditha is asked why his son, R. Yitzchak, is not yet married (and is an adult).

Kiddushin 82a does argue that an unmarried man cannot teach children, but this appears to be a concern about the appearance of impropriety, not a question about his ability or knowledge.

According to Rambam, getting married is highly recommended, even for a rabbi, but is not an absolute requirement. Perhaps in today's society it is less acceptable, but Halachically it is permitted, albeit not recommended.

http://judaism.stack...d-to-be-married

Since we have no statement to the effect that the prophets throughout the Tanach were NOT married my answer to your question is that they were all married. And not because they were prophets or because Jesus was a Rabbi but because they were Jewish young men with the main aim or goal of all in Judaism which was to get married and father children. That was the common thing to do to build one's characher and prestige as a man in the society. To miss that would be embarrassing and immoral for lack of a better word, unless one was sick or retarded. To get married was a serious commandment, which still is. Now, think through the terrible disservice a Christian causes to Jesus by claiming he was not a married man.

Why would that be the case?

Oh my gosh Jorel, think! What about if he had been crucified in another 10 or 15 years and had children? How could trinitarians worship such a god and still be dealing with the "wife" of God and the biological "children" of God? Think of the complications. The Church authorities aka the Fathers of the Church knew what they were doing.

No actually the other gospel was not that the resurrection never happened it was that there was no such thing as the bodily resurrection of the dead for anybody, much like the Sadducees and you do as well.

Wow! You hit right in the bull's eye this time. I agree with you. Only that the Pharisees did not believe in bodily resurrection either but in the metaphorical resurrection of Ezekiel 37:12. The Pauline charge that they believe in his kind of resurrection was only to raise a contension between Pharisees and Sadducees because the Pharisees were more lenient and the Sadducees too legalist and would kill any one at the blinking of the eye for blaspheming agains the Law and the Temple which was the reason why Paul had been arrested.;

Since we have no statement to the effect that the prophets throughout the Tanach were NOT married my answer to your question is that they were all married. And not because they were prophets or because Jesus was a Rabbi but because they were Jewish young men with the main aim or goal of all in Judaism which was to get married and father children. That was the common thing to do to build one's characher and prestige as a man in the society. To miss that would be embarrassing and immoral for lack of a better word, unless one was sick or retarded. To get married was a serious commandment, which still is. Now, think through the terrible disservice a Christian causes to Jesus by claiming he was not a married man.

Wrong I can name One very specifically who not married... Jeremiah

Jesus may have been a Essence

Essene View of Resurrection.

"Particularly firm is their doctrine of Resurrection; they believe that the flesh will rise again and then be immortal like the soul,

But there was another test of chastity which seems to have been the chief reason for the name of "Ẓenu'im" (Essenes

http://www.jewishenc...es/5867-essenes

Edited by docyabut2

Oh my gosh Jorel, think! What about if he had been crucified in another 10 or 15 years and had children? How could trinitarians worship such a god and still be dealing with the "wife" of God and the biological "children" of God? Think of the complications. The Church authorities aka the Fathers of the Church knew what they were doing.

Ah yes... ever hear of the Sangreal and the Merovingian lineage? Just see the Da vinci Code by Dan Brown... absolute BS.

This is in the same vein as since we do it like this today, it must have been done exactly like this 2000 years ago. Judaism changed, man it changed alot. Jeez all one has to do to see this is read the Targums and the accompanying commentaries.

Wow! You hit right in the bull's eye this time. I agree with you. Only that the Pharisees did not believe in bodily resurrection either but in the metaphorical resurrection of Ezekiel 37:12. The Pauline charge that they believe in his kind of resurrection was only to raise a contension between Pharisees and Sadducees because the Pharisees were more lenient and the Sadducees too legalist and would kill any one at the blinking of the eye for blaspheming agains the Law and the Temple which was the reason why Paul had been arrested.;

Unbelievable!!!

Among the Jews the Pharisees believed in the resurrection of the physical body after death. "In classical Judaism, resurrection of the dead was a central belief, essential to defining oneself as a Jew. “Today,” writes Jon D. Levenson in Resurrection and the Restoration of Israel: The Ultimate Victory of the God of Life (Yale University Press, 2006)., professor of Jewish studies at Harvard, that fact “comes as a shock to most Jews and Christians alike.” (The Case for What ‘Comes as a Shock to Most Jews and Christians Alike’ by Peter Steinfels.)

Resurrection is the doctrine that in a future age the dead will rise from their graves to live again.

We Also Recommend

A surprising number of Jews think that they need to be buried complete so that they can be resurrected [from the dead] whole, and that giving up an organ for transplantation would thus leave them without it when they are resurrected.

Jewish Resurrection & Organ Donation

This doctrine appears frequently in Jewish eschatology, where it is associated with the doctrine of the Messiah and the immortality of the soul. There is no systematic treatment in the Rabbinic literature of the doctrine of the resurrection, any more than there is of any other theological topic. The ancient Rabbis were organic rather than systematic thinkers. Nevertheless, the picture which emerges from the numerous eschatological thoughts in this literature is of a three‑staged series of events.

The first of these is the state of the soul in heaven after the death of the body. The second stage is the Messianic age here on earth "at the end of days." The third stage is that of the resurrection of the dead. Unlike the doctrine of the immortality of the soul, the belief in the resurrection was nationalistic rather than individualistic. It was the hope of national revival that came to the fore and this embraced the resurrection.

After the restoration of the Jewish people to its homeland in the days of the Messiah, it was believed, the resurrection of the dead would take place.

Waking the Dead: Biblical and Rabbinic SourcesBy Rabbi Louis Jacobs

Maybe this is something you should really read... Why did the Jews give up the belief in the resurrection?

Flavius Josephus on the Pharisees: A Composition-critical Study, By Steve Mason

Edited by Jor-el
  • Like 1

Jesus may have been a Essence

Essene View of Resurrection.

"Particularly firm is their doctrine of Resurrection; they believe that the flesh will rise again and then be immortal like the soul,

But there was another test of chastity which seems to have been the chief reason for the name of "Ẓenu'im" (Essenes

http://www.jewishenc...es/5867-essenes