Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

theories behind evp's

lone wolf2

What are the theories behind how evp's are created. I've heard its emf. And i have tried experimenting. But got nothing on the experimental setup and did on the control

I think Evp's are mostly trash. Almost all of these noises are just sounds in the background or people making sounds themselves and not realizing it. They hear what they want. Also, why would a recorder pick up something that you can't already hear? They pick up the same frequencies that we do. Unless they somehow get some radio frequency which sometimes does happen.

• Like 1

I take it you have never gotten a class a evp

• Like 3

The point is, those so-called Class A EVP are probably someone talking. Someone very much alive.

What are the theories behind how evp's are created. I've heard its emf. And i have tried experimenting. But got nothing on the experimental setup and did on the control

Hello,

As said by GodOfGrumpyCats, When recording the sounds there is a lot of factors that come into effect.

1. Know your voice recorder,

A voice recorder can pick up distant noises or even through walls, airvents etc, not always clearly. I once stuck my voice recorder in an old traveling chest and cover it with pillows and wrapped out side with comforters. I then shut the closet door, for an hour i was singing a nursey song. When I played it back, i heard faint parts of the song. People forget that the world moves on and empty houses do amplify the noises from distances.

2. Remembering the source of the sound,

This is what I have against ghost relality shows, Ghost Hunters have so many people wondering around (The cast, the camera crew, the sound guy, director, lunch (yes they have a lunch guy/girl) walking around a very quiet building) that it is impossible to know who is where and who said what or did what when they are listening to the recordings. When you listen to the recording you may of think you heard a noise as a ghost/spirit/unicorn made of cheese that could be just a fellow human or even animal.

3A. Tampering, Evps are very easy to contaminate by accident. Unlike TV shows where they can in a few seconds, slow down a noise and make it clear and sharp it is not possible in reality. I don't want to get techiqcal but slowing down or speeding it up can change the way it sounds.

3B. Tampering, Evps are very easy to contaminate on purpose, either using software or even using their or other peoples voice and make a story up.

4. Power of suggestion, I notice how people will play the sound but give their opinion of the sound they have heard, so people will have that word or sound in mind when listening.

5. Nature, Wind and animal noises do get recorded.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 4

I will be more detailed this weekend....

Electronic devices and radio.

Speakers can pick up radio stations, so can braces....A digital recorder and a mic, of course......

Radio station waves travel better at night.

Be back....

A dynamic mic. Can but condencer mic have a high resistance. To rf. Simply by design. And recorders are shielded agenced rf. Along with most electronics. Cause you dont want to be picking up the raido station. In the middle of your lecture your recording

• Like 1

Besides. With out some kind of tuneing circuit. Wouldn't you be picking up all stations at once. That would be A garbled mess

Besides. With out some kind of tuneing circuit. Wouldn't you be picking up all stations at once. That would be A garbled mess

No, just random things....

Example...The Ghost Box.

No ghost box sweeps up and down the frequencies. It doesn't recieve them all at once

Just a side note here...I have left out my very good mics I use in my band for recording for EVPs and all I get is the normal noises of my dog and cats; sometimes some outside noise...

What kind of microphones are you using?

I found something about braces picking up radio signals. Apparently its only am singles and the teeth act as a crystal like in an old crystal radio. But you half to be very close to a high power transmitter The crystal is the tuneing divide in the radio

When I was a kid, we had a device in the house (I think it was a baby monitor) that would regularly pick up the next door neighbours cordless phone signal and broadcast his phonecalls to us.

Sounds can come from all sorts of unexpected sources.

Edited by Archimedes

Listen I don't care what type of mic you are using, if you don't create a legitimate "faraday cage" you aren't keeping outside signals...out, period end of story. Even a poorly constructed faraday cage won't keep all interference/signals out.

So build a faraday cage, put your recording device in it, then get me a "class a evp" and get back to me.

Edited by CakeOrDeath
  • Like 4

You would half to use a solid grounded box to block them all out. The point is simple. Any wire can and does pick up rf but it can't do anything with it. A baby monitor can. Its basically a radio. Unless you can prove me wrong. I would like to know your research

The problem with EVP's is that IF they were voices from beyond who in their right mind wouldn't set up a 24/7 monitor to tune in to what the 'spirits' have to say. Speaking of which (no pun intended) why do the EVP's typically consist of one or two words?

I have heard many EVP's that sound a lot like the folks doing the 'investigations'. Whether intentional or not I will not say.

If there were evidence such as EVP's that held up to scientific scrutiny I doubt seriously that ghost hunting would be relegated to the status it is now. JMO.

There are interesting noises happening everywhere all the time. Put a sensitive recorder in any house and you'll record non-stop racket. A little imagination and you have ghosts talking to you.

I see this debate is as pointless as most on here.

• Like 1

If dental fillings can pick up radio signals, a micraphone and a digital recorder can also.

You just need a long wire. At events I run sixty foot cables between a mixer and powered speakers (speakers with built-in amplifiers). The cables are "balanced" (two wires and a ground instead of just one wire) to eliminate any hum and radio signals. If I set a speaker to "unbalanced input" (only using one of the two wires in the cable) I always hear one or two AM radio stations.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a firm believer in the afterlife and ghosts. Now, I'm not exactly sure those spirits can physically interact with the living, but there have been cases documented where they did interact and sometimes violently. As for the EVP thing, it may be possible for that to be a real phenomena to be recorded. Most of it is nonsense you see on reality TV shows like Ghost Hunters, Ghost Lab, etc that are just doing that to be dramatic. That is why I'd only believe that if a TV network came along independently who had no interest in ratings and wanted to either prove or disprove the EVP thing. I doubt that'll ever happen, but who knows?

I am a firm believer in the afterlife and ghosts. Now, I'm not exactly sure those spirits can physically interact with the living, but there have been cases documented where they did interact and sometimes violently. As for the EVP thing, it may be possible for that to be a real phenomena to be recorded. Most of it is nonsense you see on reality TV shows like Ghost Hunters, Ghost Lab, etc that are just doing that to be dramatic. That is why I'd only believe that if a TV network came along independently who had no interest in ratings and wanted to either prove or disprove the EVP thing. I doubt that'll ever happen, but who knows?

Documented?........By whom?

Links please.

• Like 1

Documented?........By whom?

Links please.

Go to google and look up books on the subject. There is a wealth of material done by scholars and PHDs in the field. One of the more noted paranormal guys is John Zaffis of Haunted Collector fame on SyFy. He has been on such shows as "A Haunting" and other documentaries and has done numerous books detailing incidents throughout his decades of research. He even worked with noted paranormal investigators Ed & Lorraine Warren. For those who don't know, they were both experts in the field and Lorraine Warren was supposedly a clairvoyant who could interact with these spirits. Anyway, those who are serious enough to look into this ghost phenomena and the EVP side of it will find the material if they so choose. Looks like you just quoted my above statement to be sarcastic, which is fine. If you seriously want to find the documented cases, you will by looking through websites, books, and documentaries on this. If not, you are just another skeptic looking to do the online immature thing. Either way, I'm not going to be drawn into that. I am simply stating what I've seen and read and giving my take on it. Deal with it.

Go to google and look up books on the subject. There is a wealth of material done by scholars and PHDs in the field. One of the more noted paranormal guys is John Zaffis of Haunted Collector fame on SyFy. He has been on such shows as "A Haunting" and other documentaries and has done numerous books detailing incidents throughout his decades of research. He even worked with noted paranormal investigators Ed & Lorraine Warren. For those who don't know, they were both experts in the field and Lorraine Warren was supposedly a clairvoyant who could interact with these spirits. Anyway, those who are serious enough to look into this ghost phenomena and the EVP side of it will find the material if they so choose. Looks like you just quoted my above statement to be sarcastic, which is fine. If you seriously want to find the documented cases, you will by looking through websites, books, and documentaries on this. If not, you are just another skeptic looking to do the online immature thing. Either way, I'm not going to be drawn into that. I am simply stating what I've seen and read and giving my take on it. Deal with it.

John is a fraud, and should be in jail.

Ed Warren......Nice. To bad the thread is not still here from the woman whom was on the show. That case, and that guy were over whelmingly proven to be a fraud, both by her statements, history, and by investigation. A nice thing was done from this, Discovery channel was " hit " by a ton of emails about them showing crap like this. Did you notice, no other show for the fraud again.

So, there are no documented cases. Just claims, by proven frauds.