Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Man, 50, left without electricity or gas

gas electricity chris guest meter torchlight

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,027 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

A man locked in a battle with his energy supplier has gone without gas or electricity for three years because he refuses to pay for his meter to be fixed.

Chris Guest, 50, has refused to pay Eon £70 to fix the device, which they installed in 2010, and has been left without power ever since.

Mr Guest has been forced to read by torchlight, go without heating and hot water, and survives on corned beef sandwiches because he is unable to cook.

http://www.dailymail...ring-meter.html

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,793 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

A bit concerned about the "man 50" bit, he is not exactly a pensioner, my gran was still carrying wood from the outside shed to her log burner when she was in her 80`s.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    George Ford

George Ford

smile

• 2,819 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

It is their damn device! It remains their property. The evil b******* should fix it! ALSO Eon broke the UK data protection act. They have given his personal information to the press. Now everyone knows he has not used energy in 3 years. So they have basically given us all 3 years worth of his billing information.... just saying..

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#4    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,441 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

He obviously doesn't know his way around the Law. Is it broken or just not connected, if they installed it and are trying to collect cash to connect it,its a case for the ombudsman,you should not pay for an exchange meter as its their property, and will stay there until the Electric Co,is changed.If he broke it then he must pay any damage, non of these issues have been explained so we have the usual Half a story.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,793 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

View Postbulveye, on 19 October 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

It is their damn device! It remains their property. The evil b******* should fix it! ALSO Eon broke the UK data protection act. They have given his personal information to the press. Now everyone knows he has not used energy in 3 years. So they have basically given us all 3 years worth of his billing information.... just saying..
Hiya bulveye, 1st I would like to point out that i am no fan of these electricity companies.
In this particular case, eon has not broken the data protection act, it is him who went to the press:

After three years living in miserable conditions, he has finally decided to speak out having reached the end of his tether.

3 years is a long time, really this should have been resolved a lot earlier.
As for no cooking conditions, that IMO is :
his choice,
a complete lie
or the man has some mental issues

Camping stoves are not hard to find, he could have easily bought one of these:

Posted Image
I had to use one of these for 2 months on my first boat while we were doing it up. They are cheap and do the job and are quite safe to use indoors.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#6    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,387 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 October 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

A bit concerned about the "man 50" bit, he is not exactly a pensioner, my gran was still carrying wood from the outside shed to her log burner when she was in her 80`s.

As you stood and watched?

(lol)

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,793 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostEldorado, on 19 October 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

As you stood and watched?

(lol)
Watched? are you kidding, i was not going to go out there, it was far too cold.

#8    George Ford

George Ford

smile

• 2,819 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 October 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Hiya bulveye, 1st I would like to point out that i am no fan of these electricity companies.
In this particular case, eon has not broken the data protection act, it is him who went to the press:

After three years living in miserable conditions, he has finally decided to speak out having reached the end of his tether.

3 years is a long time, really this should have been resolved a lot earlier.
As for no cooking conditions, that IMO is :
his choice,
a complete lie
or the man has some mental issues

Camping stoves are not hard to find, he could have easily bought one of these:

Posted Image
I had to use one of these for 2 months on my first boat while we were doing it up. They are cheap and do the job and are quite safe to use indoors.

"Eon decline to comment on the dispute, but confirmed that Mr Guest has not used any electricity for three years.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2iCuapeVq
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

They should neither have confirmed nor denied that information. If I called your electric company and asked if they could confirm you spent more then £800 in gas last year and they said yes, then they made a mistake. Or, if I called your Doctors and asked if they could confirm you have not had Langer-Giedion Syndrome and they said either yes or no then it is also not the job of the press to report that. If he is actually mentally ill then whatever he says is between him and the energy company and a court of law. (IMO) :huh:

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#9    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,441 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

Any Electric or other Company or a Doctors Surgery giving out personal info is asking to have their asses sued off,as this info is "classified",between the client and the Company.

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,793 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

I get where you are coming from, but they did not disclose any confidential information, Mr Guess told the press, when asked eon confirmed what had already been disclosed, when asked.
Oh boy, this sounds as if i am on the side of eon, but i am not. I am just not comfortable with what seems to be half the story and a bit if a sympathy plea.

#11    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,441 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 October 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

I get where you are coming from, but they did not disclose any confidential information, Mr Guess told the press, when asked eon confirmed what had already been disclosed, when asked.
Oh boy, this sounds as if i am on the side of eon, but i am not. I am just not comfortable with what seems to be half the story and a bit if a sympathy plea.
  Yep agreed I had a problem with Electric supply, when S.W.E.B. sold out to E.D.F. (a frog company),I decided I was not going to pay the frogs for my electric,so I changed to Scottish Power,then I was bombarded with E.D.F. literature,and people at the door asking why.The final straw was when they said my meter was out of date,and threatened to cut me off,a man turned up from E.D.F. a new meter but Scottish Power had already installed theirs so I politely told him I didnt need it,he got quite annoyed and said he Must change it for Safety Standards as the new one was out of date (wow), so I not so politely told him that the second word was Off.I still get loads of literature about why I should change back,and at least 2/3 phone calls a week.So I just pick up the phone and put it on the table until they ring off, I'm happy its costing them for the phone calls and they will get sick before I do,this has been going on for 3 years,so maybe they are putting up the price of electricity to pay for the phone calls hahaha.I love annoying these big companies just for the fun of it.

#12    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,624 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

You know I recently had a similar problem with the modem supplied by my internet provider.  It must have short circuited in the thunderstorm that occurred that day while I was at work.  Came home - no power, luckily I have a safety switch.  I rang to complain about the fact they nearly burned down my house and asked for a replacement modem.  I was told it would cost $185.00 to replace.  So I said no problem, I'll just call another provider and they will happily provide one.  Suddenly, the replacement was free and I was on a new deal that was $25.00 p/mth better than the one I started with. :P

Seems like this man should have been talking to some competitors about the issue instead of stubbornly sitting around with no power for so long.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#13    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

yanno, here in America the utility companies are no better, but i will say this.. i do not honestly feel overly sorry for the guy.

Yes, if it is the electric/gas company who is responsible, then they should pay.. if our company refused to fix something that is thier responsibility, it would not take three yrs for me to push push push and fight it to be fixed.

Plus, hrmm... I dunno how it is in england and other countries, but we have a huge three burner cast iron propane stove. We have three propane tanks. it only costs about 22 bux to fill each one. We can and have (we have blizzards and icestorms which take out utlities for two to three weeks at a time) cooked and heated by propane for three weeks and it did NOT go through two propane tanks to do it, and that is using it for hot water too (we have a camping hot water heater now.. neighbors loved it.. NOW that one we had to refill, but since neighbors were using our hot shower, they paid to refill it.

So, umm, i do not feel he suffered much. We have on the wall oil lamps too.. AND during the last blizzard, we learned a neat trick.. you know those outdoor solar walk way lights? we neighbors figured out we can take those suckers INDOORS at night.. heh

We now have more then one set of those!

Hrmm.. now that we are 100% prepared for another icestorm/blizzard to take out utlities.. watch us have a mild winter the next few winters.

and before anyone asks.. I live in MIssouri.

Posted Image

#14    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,793 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

View Postwillowdreams, on 20 October 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

yanno, here in America the utility companies are no better, but i will say this.. i do not honestly feel overly sorry for the guy.

Yes, if it is the electric/gas company who is responsible, then they should pay.. if our company refused to fix something that is thier responsibility, it would not take three yrs for me to push push push and fight it to be fixed.

Plus, hrmm... I dunno how it is in england and other countries, but we have a huge three burner cast iron propane stove. We have three propane tanks. it only costs about 22 bux to fill each one. We can and have (we have blizzards and icestorms which take out utlities for two to three weeks at a time) cooked and heated by propane for three weeks and it did NOT go through two propane tanks to do it, and that is using it for hot water too (we have a camping hot water heater now.. neighbors loved it.. NOW that one we had to refill, but since neighbors were using our hot shower, they paid to refill it.

So, umm, i do not feel he suffered much. We have on the wall oil lamps too.. AND during the last blizzard, we learned a neat trick.. you know those outdoor solar walk way lights? we neighbors figured out we can take those suckers INDOORS at night.. heh

We now have more then one set of those!

Hrmm.. now that we are 100% prepared for another icestorm/blizzard to take out utlities.. watch us have a mild winter the next few winters.

and before anyone asks.. I live in MIssouri.
Ace :tu:

There is NOOOO excuse today for someone to be completely without any kind of cooking facility, a lot of the camping stuff can be used in doors safely.
I dread to think what some people will do here if there is a power cut....it will be like Armageddon for some of them.

#15    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,793 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 20 October 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

Yep agreed I had a problem with Electric supply, when S.W.E.B. sold out to E.D.F. (a frog company),I decided I was not going to pay the frogs for my electric,so I changed to Scottish Power,then I was bombarded with E.D.F. literature,and people at the door asking why.The final straw was when they said my meter was out of date,and threatened to cut me off,a man turned up from E.D.F. a new meter but Scottish Power had already installed theirs so I politely told him I didnt need it,he got quite annoyed and said he Must change it for Safety Standards as the new one was out of date (wow), so I not so politely told him that the second word was Off.I still get loads of literature about why I should change back,and at least 2/3 phone calls a week.So I just pick up the phone and put it on the table until they ring off, I'm happy its costing them for the phone calls and they will get sick before I do,this has been going on for 3 years,so maybe they are putting up the price of electricity to pay for the phone calls hahaha.I love annoying these big companies just for the fun of it.
We are supplementing other countries, this was foreseen when "we" decided to sell our souls to the neighbours. Add that to the tax our government is charging, someone is sitting pretty warm and cosy and its not us in England.
We collect our own wood but also use coal, which is now imported from Russia....thanks Maggie!!!!!! do not even get me started on this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users