Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Did most dinosaurs have feathers ?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,554 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

I've said this on an earlier thread -
I understand that the current theory about 'Raptors appearance supports feathers - and maybe they did..

But I sure like the look of the earlier concept better!

#17    Sheetz

Sheetz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

feathers on dinosaurs has been proven for quite some time now...as to every which one that had them cannot be proven, but its not a new concept at all - in fact its been proven for over a decade or longer.  I've seen several documentaries that even had feathers on the heads and necks of Trex....and to me that seems suspect.  From one standpoint, proportion of feathers and their function in respect and two, I don't believe that the feathers would adorn the heads and necks of these types of carnivores much like we see on todays buzzards.  the heads and necks are actually void of feathers due to their eating habits and being free of food, bacteria and mess that would accumulate while feeding.  I've seen the raptor fossils where feathers are prominent around the limbs and such, but it was an evolutionary stage, where several other breeds of larger raptors didn't have them.  Birds evolved from dinosaurs, no doubt, and feathers were an integral step in that direction.  my two worthless cents. LOL

#18    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

View PostLilly, on 07 July 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

I wonder if the feathers were colored? The idea of a 'pretty' Velociraptor is kinda distrubing actually!
I know they were able to tell some colors from well preserved fossils, I think the resultant color was a ruddy red color.

Ah, here we are: http://www.wired.com...feather-colors/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#19    Sheetz

Sheetz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

Posted Image

New smaller Trex found in China....Yutyrannus

Posted Image

Scientists discovered feathered dinosaurs going on over 20 years ago now.

Edited by Sheetz, 12 July 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#20    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

Someone hook that fellow up with a 70's hair band.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#21    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,840 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

Feathers are a fancy hair,  right?       So.. they most likely evolved from simpler hair?    Interesting that some were hairy and fuzzy and feathery and probably leathery...  and not all were scaly .

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#22    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

View Postlightly, on 15 July 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

Feathers are a fancy hair,  right?    So.. they most likely evolved from simpler hair? Interesting that some were hairy and fuzzy and feathery and probably leathery...  and not all were scaly .
I had a check, and it looks like there's a split on how feathers developed. On the one hand they evolved from scales, which is what I've heard.
However it looks like a new theory is that they evolved separately from follicles as part of thermoregulation. Wish I was subscribed to a journal, to bloody expensive if I'm not in the field though.

-Terry Pratchett

#23    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

View PostLilly, on 07 July 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

I wonder if the feathers were colored? The idea of a 'pretty' Velociraptor is kinda distrubing actually!

New study of melanosomes has actually allowed us to learn some dinosaur plumage colours. Here's an example, Anchiornis huxleyi :   Posted Image

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#24    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

View PostArbitran, on 15 July 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

New study of melanosomes has actually allowed us to learn some dinosaur plumage colours. Here's an example, Anchiornis huxleyi :   Posted Image
Hey, I already posted that!
;)

-Terry Pratchett

#25    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

View Postpallidin, on 07 July 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

Somehow the thought of tyrannosaurus Rex with feathers just doesn't seem right.

Get used to it. Yutyrannus huali was discovered in China a few months ago.
Posted Image

View PostShadowSot, on 15 July 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

Hey, I already posted that!
;)

Oh, ha, I apologize! I didn't notice!

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#26    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostArbitran, on 15 July 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

Get used to it. Yutyrannus huali was discovered in China a few months ago.
Posted Image

Oh, ha, I apologize! I didn't notice!
No worries, I'm just ribbing.
We've only gottenso far with coloration, I wonder if there were dinosaurs as vibrantly plumed as some of our modern day birds.

Just to nip this off, dinosaurs didn't live in the sea, those were marine reptiles. While they were almost exclusively warm blooded and gave live birth, they did not have feathers.

they were also cooler and scarier than their land dwelling cousins. Just saying.

Edited by ShadowSot, 15 July 2012 - 09:34 PM.

-Terry Pratchett

#27    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 15 July 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

No worries, I'm just ribbing.
We've only gottenso far with coloration, I wonder if there were dinosaurs as vibrantly plumed as some of our modern day birds.

Just to nip this off, dinosaurs didn't live in the sea, those were marine reptiles. While they were almost exclusively warm blooded and gave live birth, they did not have feathers.

they were also cooler and scarier than their land dwelling cousins. Just saying.

Indeed.

I look forward to the next major full-body colouration determination they do. Archaeopteryx has always been one of my favorite dinosaurs, ever since I was young, and I always pictured it being vibrant; almost like a quetzal or something... this year they had to break it to me that it basically looked like a crow. I still love it.

Posted Image

#28    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

Hey, I like how crows look. Even had a semi- tame one at the shop that'd pick up food left for it.
Besides, they travel with Odin. Anything with that company's alright in my book.

-Terry Pratchett

#29    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 15 July 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

Hey, I like how crows look. Even had a semi- tame one at the shop that'd pick up food left for it.
Besides, they travel with Odin. Anything with that company's alright in my book.

Hear hear!

#30    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,989 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

View PostTyminator, on 09 July 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

This calls for a Jurassic Park remake

After reading through this thread, I think a remake of The Birds might be more fitting...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users