Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Beaver Kills Man

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

View PostMrSerendipity, on 16 April 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

It doesn't matter how or in what circumstances a person dies, stupid or otherwise, it is always a heart breaking event, (and in this case tragic as well), for their friends and family.

Awe what the hell. One less idiot in the world, no big loss, leaves more room for the beavers.

#47    godsblade

godsblade

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

You really have to word your wishes very carefully when dealing with an evil Genie...

#48    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,901 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostHilander, on 12 April 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

I never thought a Beaver would kill you.  Gotta watch those sharp teeth.  Poor guy.
I've heard tales from locals about how dangerous beavers can be to men.   It looks like the tales are true.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#49    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

"Art is what you can get away with." Andy Warhol.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

View Postevancj, on 17 April 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

Awe what the hell. One less idiot in the world, no big loss, leaves more room for the beavers.

That is a sick and totally uncalled for comment about the loss of a human life evancj. Shame on you!

Posted Image

​"​A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely fool proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams.

#50    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostSakari, on 16 April 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

Yes it is heart breaking....

But as said, if it is from stupidity on their part, it is also fair game for jokes.....

27 February 2012, North Carolina) "It was just a freak incident," said an investigator, that caused the death of 43-year-old Gary Allen Banning. Gary was at a friend's apartment when he spotted a salsa jar containing a mystery fluid. Thinking that it was an alcoholic beverage, he helped himself to a sizeable swig of gasoline! Naturally enough, he immediately spit out the offending liquid onto his clothes. Then, to recover from the shock, Gary lit a cigarette.
Whoosh! Gas+Flame=Combustion.
Firefighters responded to calls reporting a fire in the apartment, and found a badly burned man sitting on a charred carpet. The following morning, Gasoline Gary died at the UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill.
Two mistakes caused his death. The first mistake was minor: gulping a golden liquid from a salsa jar. Although Darwin Awards editors feel that a jar of yellow liquid is best left sealed, drinking its contents usually does not lead to combustion. But the second mistake--lighting up a cigarette to recover from the shock of taking a mouthful of gasoline--was a decision that an average five year old would consider questionable. As the late Bill Hicks said, "Darn, we lost another idiot."
Gary's friend was a mechanic and kept the jar of gasoline near the kitchen sink to remove grease from his hands.
Reader comments: "That's some HOT salsa!"
"Gasoline and chlorine are both effective at cleansing the gene pool." -Quinton W.
"you can't fix stupid, but stupid eventually fixes itself." -Issac T.
"Dumb people should smoke more!" -Frank G.
"Great Balls Of Fire!" -Darren L.
"'Shine' is generally clear, so even by Carolina standards this is dumb." -Patrick T.
"The shrinking gene pool." -Nery M.

A ton more here, at the Darwin Awards site....

Smile, it makes you healthy.

The Darwin Awards: In Search Of Smart.

http://www.darwinawards.com/

It is my personal opinion that a human death is NEVER fair game for a joke. Every human death means there is a grieving family, relatives and friends. The silly and unnecessary so called 'Darwin Awards' that you use to justify your indifference and contempt for deaths such as the one in question here are deplorable in the extreme. We are all capable of making stupid mistakes. If this had been a member of your family circle would you have thought it so funny? And would you have been pleased to know that it had been given a 'Darwin Award'? I think not.

Posted Image

​"​A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely fool proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams.

#51    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,453 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

I am also guilty of making light of a tragedy at times.  I really don't mean any disrespect for the person or people.  I think sometimes when we post these stories we forget we are dealing with a human being, even though their own fault because of stupidity, that lost their lives.  We get to bull...... each other just passing the day not thinking about the real topic sometimes, no harm meant.

I don't know what I would of done if this man had been my friend.  To watch him get attacked, bitten on the thigh and have a artery punctured then having to watch him bleed to death before my eyes while trying desperately to stop it.

#52    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

View PostMrSerendipity, on 17 April 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

That is a sick and totally uncalled for comment about the loss of a human life evancj. Shame on you!

I stand by my comment, and feel no shame for thinking it or posting it. A human life is no more special than any other life on this earth. We humans need to learn a little humility and if it takes a beaver to teach us that then so be it.

#53    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostHilander, on 18 April 2013 - 12:23 AM, said:

I am also guilty of making light of a tragedy at times.  I really don't mean any disrespect for the person or people.  I think sometimes when we post these stories we forget we are dealing with a human being, even though their own fault because of stupidity, that lost their lives.  We get to bull...... each other just passing the day not thinking about the real topic sometimes, no harm meant.

I don't know what I would of done if this man had been my friend.  To watch him get attacked, bitten on the thigh and have a artery punctured then having to watch him bleed to death before my eyes while trying desperately to stop it.

A very fair comment. :yes: :tu:

Posted Image

#54    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

View Postevancj, on 18 April 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

I stand by my comment, and feel no shame for thinking it or posting it. A human life is no more special than any other life on this earth. We humans need to learn a little humility and if it takes a beaver to teach us that then so be it.

:no:

Posted Image

#55    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,901 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

View Postevancj, on 17 April 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

Sounds like something Paul Watson would say!   Oh the irony!

I think there's room in the world for people who feel this way and if they actually took the action to forward such an opinion, they'll be labeled every derogatory name in the book.  For instance, if you took it upon yourself to do things that were good for beavers and bad for humans, (e.g. helping them gather building ideal building materials and annoying people downstream) you'd be demonized by your local media for being so politically incorrect.  Yea, there's something attractive about people who don't care what other people think, they do what they believe is right anyway.   Even if they're wrong, that's a handsome human character imho.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#56    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

View PostYamato, on 18 April 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

Sounds like something Paul Watson would say!   Oh the irony!

I think there's room in the world for people who feel this way and if they actually took the action to forward such an opinion, they'll be labeled every derogatory name in the book.  For instance, if you took it upon yourself to do things that were good for beavers and bad for humans, (e.g. helping them gather building ideal building materials and annoying people downstream) you'd be demonized by your local media for being so politically incorrect.  Yea, there's something attractive about people who don't care what other people think, they do what they believe is right anyway.   Even if they're wrong, that's a handsome human character imho.

:w00t: :lol:

I think you misunderstand me. I agree with his goal to stop whaling, but I disagree with his methods.

In this case the beaver was able to defend itself without the help of a human. It's unfortunate that the minke whales can not do the same. That said we have been able to save many other far more endangered whale species without resorting to the tactics of your hero.

#57    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:01 AM

dam  , bad luck.   I was watching dual survival,  and Cody found a frozen beaver .. where it had died under the tree it had felled !!    

I wonder about beaver intelligence..    gotta love em though.

Edited by lightly, 19 April 2013 - 02:10 AM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#58    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,901 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:00 AM

View Postevancj, on 19 April 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

:w00t: :lol:

I think you misunderstand me. I agree with his goal to stop whaling, but I disagree with his methods.

In this case the beaver was able to defend itself without the help of a human. It's unfortunate that the minke whales can not do the same. That said we have been able to save many other far more endangered whale species without resorting to the tactics of your hero.
I think you agree with Watson on more than just the goal to end whaling if you're making such Watson-esque comments like that.  This had nothing to do with whaling also, so I think you agree with Watson on more than you know.
On disagreeing with the tactics I can understand that.  If navies of the world would take the rules and regulations passed by their bureaucrats seriously their tactics should be far more forceful than Sea Shepherd's physically blocking the transfer of whales to the mother ship for processing.   I think their tactics are just fine.  Physically blocking is the least that civil society can do to punish these illegal whalers when governments of the world do nothing (sans Australia).

Other whale species that are "more endangered" should make us even more motivated to stop slaughtering whales.  Blue Whale populations dropped an estimated 99% before efforts to protect them were enacted.  That's no acceptable manner of "saving them" that I'm interested in accepting, tolerating or repeating.

#59    RigDigman

RigDigman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

• "Don't ask what the world is hiding from you. Ask what you are hiding from the world."

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

Man. That was one Angry Beaver. *snicker*

#60    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

View Postevancj, on 18 April 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

You're right. Human lives aren't any more special.

But that's because all life is special. That's why our one planet out of once-upon-a-nine has it, and the others do not.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users