Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * - 1 votes

What music do you listen to?


  • Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Common Sense Aficionado

  • Member
  • 2,130 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 22 February 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

In afraid not... Sure some of them rise out if their environments but they are the exceptions. Sats are a reflection of knowledge not intelligence. There are plenty of smart kids that learn how to get out of school and don't give a rats ass about education when their buddies are running around the streets. There are to many socioeconomic factors to base intelligence off of Sats. A not so bright  kid that is a hard worker can do well on the SAts while the genius kid is a genius at skipping school and barely makes it out of high school. Some of the smartest kids are actually in bands, skip school, and are difficult to contain. Why do Asians and indians do so well on Sats? It's because they are second generation kids that have operating values in their homes about work ethic. Not because they are inherintly smarter. There are plenty of intelligent people listening to rap music. I can't stand it myself, but rap songs are highly complicated and quit witty actually.  Poor kids just don't get as much of an opertunity to learn music. Spending hours poring over notes when your drunk dad might show up and kick the snot out of you doesn't seem like a good use of time to a smart inner city kid. And it probably isn't. Learning instruments makes you appreciate music more. If you study a violin, you will appreciate it more, piano, chelo, whatever. I play the guitar and ukellele I can hear and appreciate what the instrument and musician are doing. If you have never had the ooertunity to learn in most cases people will stick with what they know intelligent of not.

Correct!I do not like rap,i do not think it is music or poetry.There are a few exceptions Tupac was a extremely intelligent person,i have read a lot about him in the past.He had a very realistic look on life through his eyes and from everything he had seen and experienced.Most of it is just a bunch of synthesized noise with someone just bragging about stuff that has no true meaning.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#62    Everdred

Everdred

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 192 posts
  • Joined:10 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 22 February 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

In afraid not... Sure some of them rise out if their environments but they are the exceptions. Sats are a reflection of knowledge not intelligence. There are plenty of smart kids that learn how to get out of school and don't give a rats ass about education when their buddies are running around the streets. There are to many socioeconomic factors to base intelligence off of Sats. A not so bright  kid that is a hard worker can do well on the SAts while the genius kid is a genius at skipping school and barely makes it out of high school. Some of the smartest kids are actually in bands, skip school, and are difficult to contain. Why do Asians and indians do so well on Sats? It's because they are second generation kids that have operating values in their homes about work ethic. Not because they are inherintly smarter. There are plenty of intelligent people listening to rap music. I can't stand it myself, but rap songs are highly complicated and quit witty actually.  Poor kids just don't get as much of an opertunity to learn music. Spending hours poring over notes when your drunk dad might show up and kick the snot out of you doesn't seem like a good use of time to a smart inner city kid. And it probably isn't. Learning instruments makes you appreciate music more. If you study a violin, you will appreciate it more, piano, chelo, whatever. I play the guitar and ukellele I can hear and appreciate what the instrument and musician are doing. If you have never had the ooertunity to learn in most cases people will stick with what they know intelligent of not.

I think you're playing extremely loose with the concept of intelligence.  Kids who skip school and the like are showing poor forethought, which indicates poor development of the prefrontal cortex--a clear sign of low intelligence.  Also intelligent kids soak up knowledge like a sponge, and you can bet that a lot of kids scoring in the "Beethoven range" on the chart didn't study all that much.  And I'm sure poor kids get the same music programs as other kids.  Their families might be poor, but schools in poor areas get absolutely flooded with government money.


#63    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,772 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Your guess is as good as mine!

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 22 February 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

the Damned

So, you're the other one. "Light at the End of the Tunnel" is one of my desert-island picks.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#64    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts
  • Joined:07 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:AREA 69

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 23 February 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

So, you're the other one. "Light at the End of the Tunnel" is one of my desert-island picks.
cool, let the rest of the folks here have a taste of what we're talking about then!!! :)


#65    Professor T

Professor T

    3 of 7

  • Member
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:between

  • I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 22 February 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Haveing read everyone's responses I'd like to refine the op. what are your top 3 or 4 songs ?

Doh! Mind-changer.. :lol:
Sure hope there's a mind-blowing carrot at the end of this stick..

ok.........

Time (Pink Floyd)
The rain song.. (Led Zep)
Your Wildest Dreams (Moody Blues)
The Air that I beathe (Hollies)


#66    Antilles

Antilles

    NCC-1701

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Joined:23 Jul 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:2nd star from the left

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

Right now, I'm listening to Benny Goodman and his band. 'Sing, Sing, Sing'. Oh yeah!


#67    third_eye

third_eye

    _ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

  • Member
  • 9,120 posts
  • Joined:06 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Malaysia

  • "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"
    God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 22 February 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Agreed third! :lol:  This is going to take me a minute to really think about.I usually make the cutoff at top 20.To many good ones to leave off haha

When you get to my age ... you kind faint under trying to reach a top 100 cut off ... in my part of the world we listen to Hindi, Thai, Philippines (anyone remembers Aguilar's "Child" ? ) Indonesia, Hong Kong. Taiwan, Japan, Korea quite often, my personal quirk is I love African recordings (Nigeria, Mali, Ethiopia ) thanks to Ry Cooder and Ali Farka Toure ... Latin America .....  I doubt I can even get under a top 150 cut off :lol:

~ edit : Not to mention the local Malaysian music scene ... Latest fav listen is " Yuna " and "Zee Avi"

Edited by third_eye, 23 February 2013 - 07:16 AM.

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~


#68    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Common Sense Aficionado

  • Member
  • 2,130 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 23 February 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

When you get to my age ... you kind faint under trying to reach a top 100 cut off ... in my part of the world we listen to Hindi, Thai, Philippines (anyone remembers Aguilar's "Child" ? ) Indonesia, Hong Kong. Taiwan, Japan, Korea quite often, my personal quirk is I love African recordings (Nigeria, Mali, Ethiopia ) thanks to Ry Cooder and Ali Farka Toure ... Latin America .....  I doubt I can even get under a top 150 cut off :lol:

~ edit : Not to mention the local Malaysian music scene ... Latest fav listen is " Yuna " and "Zee Avi"

I am 29 and already have the problem of a top 100 cut off list haha,i can only imagine if i live to 60 and still have my brains i will probably be sitting around telling stories to my grandkids about a list of my top 5,000 favorite songs :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#69    Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Joined:06 Sep 2009
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Earth

  • "I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
    -Rocketgirl

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

I used to like pop music like backstreet boys and 98 Degrees. Now I listen to classical and rock music. Classical mellows me out and rock pumps me up.

"I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
-Rocketgirl

"Try to change the world for the better, if you fail keep trying. Always aim for that impact of change in a positive way."
-Rocketgirl

#70    third_eye

third_eye

    _ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

  • Member
  • 9,120 posts
  • Joined:06 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Malaysia

  • "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"
    God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostRocketgirl, on 23 February 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

I used to like pop music like backstreet boys and 98 Degrees. Now I listen to classical and rock music. Classical mellows me out and rock pumps me up.

bet you love 'QuarterFlash'

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~


#71    notoverrated

notoverrated

    O.O

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Joined:18 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas

  • courage > scooby

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

gangster rap duhhh  :gun:

But really i used to listen to a lot of rap and hip hop, my neighbor hood used to blast songs like: https://www.youtube....e&v=iRkoA6WOXag https://www.youtube....e&v=gUhRKVIjJtw
and my uncle squirrel ( yes that is really what they called him) would rap for me, so a lot of the old songs have nostalgia for me. but lately since i have moved and grown up, i cant really relate to the rap "culture" anymore and have moved on to slow and hard rock songs.

edit: i tried to embed the videos but its not working for me now.

Edited by notoverrated, 23 February 2013 - 12:27 PM.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#72    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 14,883 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostRocketgirl, on 23 February 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

I used to like pop music like backstreet boys and 98 Degrees. Now I listen to classical and rock music. Classical mellows me out and rock pumps me up.
Haydn mellows me up and Sousa pumps me up. :yes:

Edited by Frank Merton, 23 February 2013 - 12:57 PM.


#73    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

    Seeker79

  • Member
  • 12,618 posts
  • Joined:12 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

  • Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

    Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostEverdred, on 23 February 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:



I think you're playing extremely loose with the concept of intelligence.  Kids who skip school and the like are showing poor forethought, which indicates poor development of the prefrontal cortex--a clear sign of low intelligence.  Also intelligent kids soak up knowledge like a sponge, and you can bet that a lot of kids scoring in the "Beethoven range" on the chart didn't study all that much.  And I'm sure poor kids get the same music programs as other kids.  Their families might be poor, but schools in poor areas get absolutely flooded with government money.
I doubt all of that very much. Most Gifted kids are bored with school, their minds wonder and they just want out of it. Mostly boys, girls tend to react a bit different. Poor forthought? I would argue that case. The smart kid is the one asking what is all this going to do for me? And if the answer isn't apparent, they may rebel. The kids that follow unquestionably an education system built on industrial age thinking because they are told its good for them, are the ones not demonstrating forethought.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#74    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Joined:06 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East Coast

  • Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Top 4 songs?

Twiztid - Afraid of Me
Tech N9ne - Happy Ending
Incubus = Make Yourself
Cherry Popping Daddies - Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Hands down the ones that affect me the most. Well at least right now. Could easily list another 1000 or so songs that I think are simply amazing.

I must be stupid since two of them are rap though :) Must be an even bigger idiot because one of them is horrorcore. Or maybe it is idiotic to decide the intelligence level of somebody simply because of what they like?




#75    rashore

rashore

    Telekinetic

  • 7,590 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

I applaud the folks that are able to pick a top 4 songs. I sure can't. I can't even come up with a top 4 genres.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users