Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama Makes Comment About Lipstick On A Pig

BlindMessiah

Obama has recently taken heat over his comment about lipstick on a pig. In a speech from Palin at the GOP convention, she said the only difference between herself and a pitbull was lipstick. Obama in his speech said if you put lipstick on a pig it's still a pig.

Here's the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPd4yk0x-eg

Now is it just me, or was he saying something entirely different. Everyone is claiming that he was calling Palin a pig, I took it much differently. Seems to me he was comparing Bush to a pig, and McCain to a pig with lipstick. I don't see what Palin has to do with these comments other than the fact they both made reference to lipstick in a speech in the last week.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nxt2Hvn

• BlindMessiah

• Incorrigible1

• bathory

Top Posters In This Topic

In a speech from Palin at the GOP convention, she said the only difference between herself and a pitbull was lipstick...

Has she ever seen a pitbull?

Obama has recently taken heat over his comment about lipstick on a pig. In a speech from Palin at the GOP convention, she said the only difference between herself and a pitbull was lipstick. Obama in his speech said if you put lipstick on a pig it's still a pig.

Here's the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPd4yk0x-eg

Now is it just me, or was he saying something entirely different. Everyone is claiming that he was calling Palin a pig, I took it much differently. Seems to me he was comparing Bush to a pig, and McCain to a pig with lipstick. I don't see what Palin has to do with these comments other than the fact they both made reference to lipstick in a speech in the last week.

You're probably correct, but at what point do Obama's gaffes come to haunt him?

He's an intelligent, quick-witted speaker, yet somehow this is a mistake? Puh-leeze!

I don't see what Palin has to do with these comments other than the fact they both made reference to lipstick in a speech in the last week.

That's the point.

I don't think he was directly refering to Palin either.

But it was a poorly chosen comparison given Palin's lipstick remark too. Obama may have been trying to "hijack" the liptstick satire for himself and it flopped miserably.

That's the point.

I don't think he was directly refering to Palin either.

But it was a poorly chosen comparison given Palin's lipstick remark too. Obama may have been trying to "hijack" the liptstick satire for himself and it flopped miserably.

I agree. I think he was trying to steal Palin's comment to take a stab at Bush and McCain. I just don't get why so many people are crying that he insulted Palin.

I agree. I think he was trying to steal Palin's comment to take a stab at Bush and McCain. I just don't get why so many people are crying that he insulted Palin.

Given that Palin used lipstick and a pittbull as an analogy then Obama uses lipstick and a pig I can see the thinking there is an implication. He shouldn't have done it. It was a poor attempt at stealing someone else's thunder. But it shouldn't be over blown either. There are bigger fish to fry.

In all likelyhood he wasn't referring to Palin since that lipstick on a pig saying is fairly well known, and fits the contxt of what he is saying...

though he might have been trying to be too clever and use it as a subtle jab at palin at the same time

regardless, it was probably a dumb thing to say, it'll come off as petty to many voters

Really? That's fairly obvious. Palin's ad-lib, during her nomination speech, referencing the joke about the difference between pit bulls and hockey moms should ring fairly in your ears.

Again, I consider Obama an intelligent, quick speaker. This was no mere, minor slip-up. It was deliberate, and BHO should not be granted the quarter to claim ignorance.

Geez, if he's quick enough to be president, he's quick enough not to feign innocence. 'Fess up, freshman Senator!

Really? That's fairly obvious. Palin's ad-lib, during her nomination speech, referencing the joke about the difference between pit bulls and hockey moms should ring fairly in your ears.

Again, I consider Obama an intelligent, quick speaker. This was no mere, minor slip-up. It was deliberate, and BHO should not be granted the quarter to claim ignorance.

Geez, if he's quick enough to be president, he's quick enough not to feign innocence. 'Fess up, freshman Senator!

I know why he referenced lipstick, but if you read the context of his quote, he's calling Bush a pig not Palin. He simply stole Palin's line.

hmmm so you reckon it was an attempt to compare Bush and McCain (McCain being the same as Bush, just prettied up) AND a jab at Palin?

Seems quite plausible i huess

hmmm so you reckon it was an attempt to compare Bush and McCain (McCain being the same as Bush, just prettied up) AND a jab at Palin?

Seems quite plausible i huess

Ya. I think he was making that analogy about Bush and McCain while mocking Palin's lipstick comment. I don't see how this can be twisted into him calling Palin a pig though.

Whatever way you look at it, it was in bad taste. imo

McCain said simulare about Hillary... yet no one threw a fit about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/ap_on_.../obama_lipstick

McCain's campaign called the comments "offensive and disgraceful" and said Obama owes Palin an apology. Obama's campaign said he wasn't referring to Palin and said the GOP camp was engaging in a "pathetic attempt to play the gender card." Obama's camp also noted that McCain once used the same phrase to describe Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care plan.

Maybe McCain had reason.

Somehow I feel Bill Clinton might have a definitive voice in this thread..................

I love the hypocrasy.. It's funny and amusing!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/ap_on_.../obama_lipstick

sigh and mental midgets miss the point

the phrase Lipstick on a pig is a common one, its kind of similar to polishing a turd

the issue is that after her speech, what Obama said comes off as a jab at Palin even though its obvious his main intention is to point out the supposed similarities between McCain and Bush... (McCain being the pig with lipstick, Bush being the pig)

I honestly don't care if Obama did it deliberately or not (and I think it was a dig at Palin's "lipstick on a pitbull" joke at the RNC). She brought up the comparison first, and Obama simply slipped in the knife by playing off her own words.

I agree with the majority here. It was unintentional. And not directed toward Palin.

But he probably shouldn't have used that lipstick / pig analogy.

Obama knew he would get a rise out of that remark... then he could do exactly what he is doing now...

Obama quote from this morning:

"Spare me the phony outrage. Spare me the phony talk about change," Obama said at the start of an education event in Virginia. "We have real problems in this country right now. The American people are looking to us for answers, not distractions, not diversions, not manipulations."

That way he could feel good about himself and look like he is trying to be the bigger person, when in fact he started the whole thing. How pathetic of a way to get attention.

Obama knew he would get a rise out of that remark... then he could do exactly what he is doing now...

Obama quote from this morning:

"Spare me the phony outrage. Spare me the phony talk about change," Obama said at the start of an education event in Virginia. "We have real problems in this country right now. The American people are looking to us for answers, not distractions, not diversions, not manipulations."

That way he could feel good about himself and look like he is trying to be the bigger person, when in fact he started the whole thing. How pathetic of a way to get attention.

So what you're saying is that Obama uttered a commonly used non-inflammatory phrase that was relevant to his argument regarding Bush (pig) and McCain (lipstick), deliberately to get a rise out of people?

Ok.