Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Teacher Tapes Kids Mouths Shut

teacher cruelty

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 04 March 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

A bit of tape over their mouths!!! How old are the mothers of these kids, do they not remember the CANE? Tape is nothing in comparison,  the kids today are far too soft.
I remember having the chalk board rubber thrown at my head by my geography teacher, it missed.......my mum complained....because it missed!

Agreed..

The cane, the ruler, the pump, the black board rubber and a good slap but non were more degrading than having to do PE, in my under pants if I forgot my shorts, that is when I decided to start going "Commando style"

Posted Image

#32    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

white hot fury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:09 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 05 March 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

I for one DO NOT find it perfectly acceptable, I am comparing this to what I knew as a child what was real abuse.
I will not speak for others here, but the reason why i do not see this as extreme....is because, its not in comparison.
I suppose some of us get hardened over the years, but please DO NOT think that because some of us have experienced real abuse and do not see this  as the same, does not mean we condone it!

Yes, I laughed, but purely because my 1st reaction was "really? In my days we got things thrown at us, the boys got the cane (now that was abuse) and many of us a real telling off for being naughty at school by our parents", schools have no discipline today at all, they have gone from 1 extreme to the other......maybe if they can find a middle ground with the help of the parents, some who today think their child is an angel, dispite the disrespect they have for their elders, then the teacher who has finally put up with enough may not flip!

the fact that it's not as severe as a beating does not mean that it does not constitute abuse. i know what schools used to consider acceptable as disciple, i've heard the horror stories from my own parents. those methods were not acceptable. this is not acceptable.

#33    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

A woman in my state years ago taped her foster child in a high chair and taped the child's mouth closed.  Unfortunately she also taped her nose shut, which caused the child to die.  Anyone who uses this type of punishment on a child should be very careful not to become a murderer.  People in prison are not kind to child abusers as a large number of the prison population are former abused kids.

#34    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,634 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

View Postseaturtlehorsesnake, on 05 March 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

the fact that it's not as severe as a beating does not mean that it does not constitute abuse. i know what schools used to consider acceptable as disciple, i've heard the horror stories from my own parents. those methods were not acceptable. this is not acceptable.
Ofcourse it is not, just like teachers being abused daily by students is not either.
Sorry, but on t.v we are constantly seeing adverts for save the children, I turn on the news and there are children caught up in the middle of a war,  I remember the days of what real abuse was like, so....again sorry, but am getting a bit sick of the stories like this.......sort your god damn childs manners out and teach them some respect, because the teachers do NOT have to put up with the disrespect they are being given today.
Again, I am not condoning this, but how about we address why the teacher did this and why the children in some schools today do not give a damn about respect....parents???
Teachers are .....there to teach, but some parents have forgotten why their child is going to school now.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#35    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,557 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 05 March 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

Teachers are .....there to teach, but some parents have forgotten why their child is going to school now.

That's never been all being a teacher is about. Yeah, it would be easy if every child was the same and perfectly behaved (I'd also be bored out of my mind). But if children are missing something at home, why shouldn't we stand in? There are appropriate ways to do this though. Selotape is not one of them.

View Postseaturtlehorsesnake, on 05 March 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

Couldn't have put it better.

Edited by Setton, 05 March 2014 - 10:50 PM.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#36    Mabon

Mabon

Psychic Spy

• 1,741 posts

• Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

Being able to outwit children should be the first criteria for teaching them. Abuse isn't outwitting them it's showing them how to bully and use violence.
You want an easy way to reshape this a friend of mine who teaches uses a simple HANDS OFF policy. They believe that if you hit or yell you've lost and they are right.

1. Class room behavior (and what is expected of them) is clearly defined at the beginning of the school year. (or to students who transfer in later)
2. Misbehavior is marked by names on a chalkboard. Three check marks after the students name and they are not allowed to participate in a fun free period at the end of the week but instead go to the principals office for extra work or to work or what they haven't finished during school hours.
Her students could be left alone. Were well behaved and had better than average test scores. It didn't take them long to realize they were hurting themselves and not her.

Mabon.

One need not be a chamber to be haunted;
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.  ~ Emily Dickinson

#37    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,634 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

View PostSetton, on 05 March 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

That's never been all being a teacher is about. Yeah, it would be easy if every child was the same and perfectly behaved (I'd also be bored out of my mind). But if children are missing something at home, why shouldn't we stand in? There are appropriate ways to do this though. Selotape is not one of them.

Agree sellotape is not the answer.  but although not condoning it, its still mild to what they used to do and what children who are really being abused today are going through.....maybe its seems really bad because it is a teacher who did this, but no way should it get to the stage where a teacher chooses to sellotape the childrens mouths up to get a response.....my point  is how did it get to this stage?

Children can be naughty, thats all part of being a child, but there is a difference between being naughty and being down right unruly,  there should be some form of discipline,  but today if the child is not getting it at home, its highly unlikely they are going to put up withit in school, expecially when the child knows the parent will not back up the teachers...even for just telling them off, .hence this particular teacher did go to far, but could it have been avoided earlier?

Edited by freetoroam, 05 March 2014 - 11:18 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#38    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,557 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:46 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 05 March 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

Agree sellotape is not the answer.  but although not condoning it, its still mild to what they used to do and what children who are really being abused today are going through.....maybe its seems really bad because it is a teacher who did this, but no way should it get to the stage where a teacher chooses to sellotape the childrens mouths up to get a response.....my point  is how did it get to this stage?

Poor behaviour management in the past and still poor now.

Children can be naughty, thats all part of being a child, but there is a difference between being naughty and being down right unruly,  there should be some form of discipline,  but today if the child is not getting it at home, its highly unlikely they are going to put up withit in school, expecially when the child knows the parent will not back up the teachers...even for just telling them off, .hence this particular teacher did go to far, but could it have been avoided earlier?

Actually, they do put up with it in school regardless of what their home life is like. You can guess all you like but I see it every day so I'm going to stick with that :)

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#39    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,205 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

If a kid won't shut up in class, why not?  Since it was a classroom I'm assuming she used scotch tape?  That stuff won't cause any kind of damage, and if a kid is "emotionally scarred" over a bit of tape over the mount and being told to be quiet then maybe the child needs a reality check, and should stop talking so much.

#40    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

white hot fury

• 2,038 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

View PostWickian, on 06 March 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

If a kid won't shut up in class, why not?  Since it was a classroom I'm assuming she used scotch tape?  That stuff won't cause any kind of damage, and if a kid is "emotionally scarred" over a bit of tape over the mount and being told to be quiet then maybe the child needs a reality check, and should stop talking so much.

"Some people got really bad rashes and this girl in my class had her lips bleeding," one pupil said.

"When she removed it at the end of the lesson it took the skin off her lips and made her lips bleed," Mr Lovell said.

read. the damn. article.

#41    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,634 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostSetton, on 06 March 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

Poor behaviour management in the past and still poor now.

Actually, they do put up with it in school regardless of what their home life is like. You can guess all you like but I see it every day so I'm going to st
ick with that :)
Guess it depends on which area and which school. I went to a South London school and would not have liked to be a teacher there now, the old days were bad enough, but today.......its a different kind of teaching to a different generation, the results of one parent housing estates for young single mothers and a diverse culture where the children are sticking to gangs of their own cultural backgrounds....where mobile phones and knives have replaced cornbeef sandwiches in the lunch boxes.
I am not for any form of abuse, but am for discipline and that should start at home. I am sticking with not seeing this as a major abuse case...BUT it still does not make what the teacher done right or ok.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users