Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Regarding recent deluge of spam posts

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 5,288 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Wouldn't it be possible to establish a threshold, say 25 posts, whereupon a new member would then be able to start a new topic or provide a status update?

I think that would really cut down on this nonsense. :)

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

a dark, sarcastic, depressing blanket of nihilism

• 25,348 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

I recommend fritters.

Actually, that does seem a reasonable suggestion.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#3    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,146 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

POPULAR

We don't want to penalise legitimate members, imposing such a restriction could be disastrous for the forums.

The moderators already do a pretty good job of removing spam posts within a very short space of time.

#4    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,903 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

What would also help is if more members would report spam posts when they see something obvious. I don't mean just post "spam" in the thread, I mean hit the report button.

Some spam posts are hard to spot and you'd be surprised how often members will reply to them in threads not realising they're spam.

Posted Image

#5    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 5,288 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 18 November 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

What would also help is if more members would report spam posts when they see something obvious. I don't mean just post "spam" in the thread, I mean hit the report button.

Some spam posts are hard to spot and you'd be surprised how often members will reply to them in threads not realising they're spam.
I try my best. But because my computer is old and on dial up, I find it kinda bothersome.To Saru: Maybe make the threshold 10 posts. I don't think that anyone would find that unreasonable or that it would be "disastrous to the forums."

#6    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,146 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 18 November 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

To Saru: Maybe make the threshold 10 posts. I don't think that anyone would find that unreasonable or that it would be "disastrous to the forums."

I doubt the majority of new members would agree with you.

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,501 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

I've reported them, I'm on dial up too, its not even good dial up and yes it does take longer.

How would you do an introduction when you join if you have to have a set number of posts to start a thread.

#8    me-wonders

me-wonders

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

View PostSaru, on 18 November 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

I do agree, on a requirement of 10 post before being allowed to start new threads. and usually I am ranting about freedom of speech.   One forum requires several post before a person is allowed to join political and religious discussions and this worked well for that forum.  It was annoying and I remember making several insignificant post just to get the required number, but it was also an achievement that gave me satisfaction.

On the other hand I am curious about this concern about spam, considering occasionally a post is filled with words that immediately lead to advertising if touch by the cursor.    I don't know how that happens and to me that seems very offensive, especially when it is one of my post some unknown person is using in this way.  Some days I think our focus on money has resulted in an excessive degree of immorality.   I resent being used to market someone else's product.

#9    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

if i remember correctly? it was very easy to become a member here.. there in lies the answer.. most forums are being slaughtered by over seas spammers from china, poland and everywhere.. you can block certain IPs in those type of countries, but with this forum/site having an international member base and feel to it, that wouldnt be wise..  sooo the trick is to create a question to answer on "why do you want to join UM"  make it so it has to be a minimum 8 letters (but dont say that anywhere) and that should block them for quite a while..

its mercury retrograde, so my brain is fried in the memory department.. but im pretty sure there wasnt any question, and with so many people joining here each day, you do have to wonder just how many of them are real, considering the majority never post..

peace..

#10    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,146 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Most forums are bombarded with spam on a daily basis, I don't really see it as any more of a problem here now than at any other time.

Our existing spam counter-measures continue to prove effective.

#11    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

i haven't noticed any spam here.. was just going on the OP..cheers..

#12    me-wonders

me-wonders

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

If I come to this thread without signing in, my above post is full of words that bring up advertizing.  If anyone knows how this happens and what I can do to prevent it, I would like to know.

#13    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

View PostSaru, on 18 November 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

I can do ten posts in my sleep  .I think I have actually .
If they post ten times ,with coherent replies to topics ,at least they have proven they're legit .
It would probably also weed out the troll I HAVE ENTITIES HURTIN ME ! posts

Miss me?

#14    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,720 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

I reported this topic as spam...... :su

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#15    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,267 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:52 AM

Setting a limit of 10 posts before a new member could start a topic is a rather silly idea. Many spam posts are already replies to existing topics, all it would do is make ALL spam replies to existing topics. Thus only legitimate members would be penalised and the spam will be harder to spot. A lose-lose situation.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users