Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 16 votes

Was Vincent van Gogh Jack the Ripper ?

vincent van gogh jack the ripper serial killers true crime case solved

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
325 replies to this topic

#196    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

It's as good a theory as any that's around but

The timeline of Van G's life has been mentioned many times in this thread.

It wasn't Vincent.

Starry, starry night....

#197    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,482 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostAntilles, on 19 February 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

It's as good a theory as any that's around but

The timeline of Van G's life has been mentioned many times in this thread.

It wasn't Vincent.

Starry, starry night....

Agree it was not him, but there are far better  theories than this one. This one has to be at the bottom of the list.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#198    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 February 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Agree it was not him, but there are far better  theories than this one. This one has to be at the bottom of the list.
Tbh none of these theories dovetail completely with Jack The Ripper.
So in a strange kind of way that makes them all equally valid.
I could be right about either Tumblety or the Prince Albert conspiracy.
The Monkster could be right about Robert Mann.
The OP could be right about Vincent Van Gogh.
But we could all be wrong because it could be something we havn't conceived between ourselves.
It's just like peeling an onion it's that multi- layered.
It isn't like an UFO sighting where you either believe it or not.
But you have to say I'm not buying Spring- Heeled Jack.
Threre's no way it's going to be a Victorian bogeyman.
Somebody killed  those women which is something I'm sure we all agree on.
However what bugs me is people attacking the OP without presenting their own counter- theory.
Tbh I would put Van Gogh at the bottom of my list also.
But that's no reflection on the OP because he's been admirable throughout.
The perfect host.

Edited by Medium Brown, 19 February 2013 - 07:26 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#199    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,482 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 19 February 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

Tbh none of these theories dovetail completely with Jack The Ripper.
So in a strange kind of way that makes them all equally valid.
I could be right about either Tumblety or the Prince Albert conspiracy.
The Monkster could be right about Robert Mann.
The OP could be right about Vincent Van Gogh.
But we could all be wrong because it could be something we havn't conceived between ourselves.
It's just like peeling an onion it's that multi- layered.
It isn't like an UFO sighting where you either believe it or not.
But you have to say I'm not buying Spring- Heeled Jack.
Threre's no way it's going to be a Victorian bogeyman.
Somebody killed  those women which is something I'm sure we all agree on.
However what bugs me is people attacking the OP without presenting their own counter- theory.
Tbh I would put Van Gogh at the bottom of my list also.
But that's no reflection on the OP because he's been admirable throughout.
The perfect host.
There are far more reason to not suspect Van Gogh.
yes the OP has been admirable, I would also be too if i wanted people to buy my book.
I think it would have been much more admirable to ask peoples opinions before writing a book, than trying to convince them that his theory is the right one.
I have my own theories, but this is not the thread to do that on, this is about Van Gogh.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#200    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 February 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

There are far more reason to not suspect Van Gogh.
yes the OP has been admirable, I would also be too if i wanted people to buy my book.
I think it would have been much more admirable to ask peoples opinions before writing a book, than trying to convince them that his theory is the right one.
I have my own theories, but this is not the thread to do that on, this is about Van Gogh.
If only we could have our own particular views on Jack The Ripper.

Anyway I'm bowing out now because the footie's starting soon.

But I'll have to say this subject is absolutely riveting.

Edited by Medium Brown, 19 February 2013 - 07:37 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#201    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 19 February 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

If only we could have our own particular views on Jack The Ripper.

Anyway I'm bowing out now because the footie's starting soon.

But I'll have to say this subject is absolutely riveting.

I agree, riveting.

But I would love to hear more theories... I doubt that there will be a way to concretely pin the crime on anyone since it was so long ago and all involved have long since died but it still deserves to be looked into.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#202    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

Interesting,well thought out,but as others have said the timeline of van gogh's location at the time does not add up.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#203    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 20 February 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

Interesting,well thought out,but as others have said the timeline of van gogh's location at the time does not add up.

What a Co-inkydink!  I'm reading Black House again...Hehe

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#204    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostLava_Lady, on 20 February 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

What a Co-inkydink!  I'm reading Black House again...Hehe

LOL in my top 3 of his books,and i have read almost all of them :tu:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#205    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,862 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

If Vincent spent all those time traveling and killing he couldn't have painted all the paintings that we know off, his paintings and sketches done during his time at Arles is a more accurate diary than his letters to Theo.

During his stay in Arles between February 1888 and May 1889, Vincent Van Gogh did about 300 drawings and paintings.

The extent to which his mental health affected his painting has been a subject of speculation since his death. Despite a widespread tendency to romanticize his ill health, modern critics see an artist deeply frustrated by the inactivity and incoherence brought about by his bouts of illness. According to art critic Robert Hughes, van Gogh's late works show an artist at the height of his ability, completely in control and "longing for concision and grace"

Vincent was also under strict observation during this period of his life. Theo, concerned and worried kept a keen eye on Vincent's well being from afar.
I know Vincent, he is not Jack.

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#206    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 20 February 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

If Vincent spent all those time traveling and killing he couldn't have painted all the paintings that we know off, his paintings and sketches done during his time at Arles is a more accurate diary than his letters to Theo.

Vincent was also under strict observation during this period of his life. Theo, concerned and worried kept a keen eye on Vincent's well being from afar.
I know Vincent, he is not Jack.

Who's Theo?

#207    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Theo was vincents younger brother lava

#208    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,758 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Very Dan Brown-esque!   We all knew Dan was full of crap, but look how rich we made him!    I think of Dale kinda like his lackey little brother.   ;)

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#209    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,862 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 20 February 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

Who's Theo?

CrimsonKing is right, Theo is Vincent's younger brother. They were very close all their lives, till the very day that Vincent died. Theo died not long after, two years if I remember correctly. They were buried side by side.

There are plenty of books and even movies about Vincent's relationship with his brother, just google "Vincent and Theo" :)

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#210    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,482 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 20 February 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

series of paintings including Van Gogh's Chair (1888), Bedroom in Arles (1888), The Night Café (1888), Cafe Terrace at Night (September 1888), Starry Night Over the Rhone (1888), Still Life: Vase with Twelve Sunflowers (1888), all intended to form the décoration for the Yellow House.[96]

Paintings and the fact that he was already complaining about the cost of his rent, he flittered back and forth to England to commit murder once in a while!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users