Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Supermarkets to sell spirits in plastic

Still Waters

Spirtis will come in plastic bottles and milk in bags as part of the latest consumer-led campaign to cut excess food packaging.

The major food retailers including Tesco, Sainsbury's and Marks and Spencer have all agreed to cut the carbon footprint of grocery packaging by 10 per cent over the next two years.

This will mean selling milk in bags, spirits in plastic bottles, meat in vacuum-packed plastic bags and loose fruit and vegetables. Even Easter eggs will come with less plastic packaging.

The agreement, that was driven by groups like the Women's Institute, will encourage retailers to provide facilities to recycle wrappings for bread and grapes as well as plastic bags.

To help consumers cut food waste, supermarkets will sell smaller portions such as half loaves of bread and suggest recipes for left overs.

The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, that drew up the agreement, said it could save consumers £800 million over three years because of the reduction in the amount of food thrown away.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purplos

• Still Waters

• schizoidwoman

• MichaelW

Top Posters In This Topic

They need less plastic, not only less packaging. Real glass bottles are a lot less damaging to the environment from what I understand.

They need less plastic, not only less packaging. Real glass bottles are a lot less damaging to the environment from what I understand.

Same here. I think it is widely known that glass is a hell of a lot more EF than plastic.

Instead of changing the packaging, which will be thrown out anyway, why not have reuseable shopping bags and charge those who want plastic or do you have those in place already?

Our local Sainsburys has just started selling milk bags but on the first day, all the use by dates on the milk were out of date and the whole display was being replaced... not the best start to a product launch!

I would have to agree, though it might have something to do with the carbon cost of recycling glass? :hmm:

Only if they are reused. Glass bottles that are thrown after one use have a disastrous carbon balance. The probably most efficient one-use are Tetra Packs for liquids.

what i have noticed in the last three to four years, whenever i bought a cucumber, cabbage, turnip, broccoli etc.. they where never wrapped in anything. Now these items are wrapped in plastic. whats happening there?

to keep the others from getting pregnant or some venerial disease?