Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman, 28, sees everything upside down

Still Waters

A RARE brain condition that has left a woman seeing everything upside down has baffled doctors.

Bojana Danilovic, 28, views everything the wrong way up because of a problem in the way her brain processes images.

The council worker has to read papers from the bottom up, uses an upside down computer screen and needs to work with topsy turvy forms in her job.

Speaking to local news outlets, she said: "It may look incredible to other people but to me it's completely normal.

http://www.express.c...ing-upside-down

• Like 1

So I guess she writes the right way up? What about using her computer? Is it turned around like the tv? That's just weird.

So, how is she able to walk? And obviously driving would be out of the question.

But maybe she's adapted to this unusual condition, since she's had it from birth.

Edited by pallidin

As I recall, the human eye does invert the image on the retina. We all see "upside down" but she must not properly process the image.

So, how is she able to walk? And obviously driving would be out of the question.

But maybe she's adapted to this unusual condition, since she's had it from birth.

Apparently your brain can sort of adapt to inverted vision. Just found this:

A famous experiment was conducted in the late 1800s, in which a scientist wore glasses that showed him an upside down image of the world. After some time, he claimed he saw the world right side up. Scientists have been trying variations of this trick ever since.

http://io9.com/5905180/does-your-brain-really-have-the-power-to-see-the-world-upside+down

• Like 1

You would think they could make "glasses" with mirrors to invert the image before it reaches her eyes. I'm sure they wouldn't look pretty, but we do this already with optics. Its just a matter of putting it in a more compact, face fitting form.

Apparently your brain can sort of adapt to inverted vision. Just found this:

http://io9.com/59051...rld-upside down

Ha! I guess i should have read your post before posting mine. That said, why is she having to go through the hassle of flipping TVs and such upside-down if they can just pre-flip her vision with glasses?

• Like 1

My son sees everything in mirror-image. Discovered the only way to read his writing is to hold it to a mirror.

So I guess this means when she's looking at Bats it will look like they're standing up. :yes:

How do they find out about this, if she was born like this, she must surely have adapted to it 100%, so even if she sees the world upside down, she should be able to cope just as well as the rest of us. If she moves her hand up, it looks like down to her, but how does she know that, if its how she has always seen things. People with normal vision might think, that you can feel your hand going up, while you see it going down, but why would this feel strange to her, if she always saw the world this way. And turning the tv upside down for her, also sounds odd, to her it must be confusing seeing the world the right way up (if we can even talk about something being right or wrong here...). It might be true that she sees the world differently, but i dont see why that would affect her, when she was born with it.

can she drives car?

Well I'm not so sure about driving cars.But she might be able to drive UFO's.Unless they ask her to read all the instrument panels and give the aliens instructions.Can you imagine her on a loop da loop?She'll get nausea before she's even got strapped in.And has for her hanging upside down like a bat.Forget it.Because you can't eat food despite seeing things the other way round.Gravity always wins.Though for a time it might actually feel like normality.But because she's sat down like you and I it can't be bothering her that much.I don't even see a TV bolted to the wall which goes to show how much she has acclimatised.If I had her condition I would just lie down.

It would be better than seeing things inside out!

You would think they could make "glasses" with mirrors to invert the image before it reaches her eyes. I'm sure they wouldn't look pretty, but we do this already with optics. Its just a matter of putting it in a more compact, face fitting form.

My thoughts exactly :)

Sometimes is it cool to be different. Looks like she is dealing with it.

Well, there is something they could do. They could make some glasses with lenses that invert the image. Maybe even contact lenses, but not sure if they could be that thin :P

There are loads of weird eye conditions. Did you know the human eyes can actually see in ultraviolet, the only reason you don't is because they have a UV resistant layer (which stops the sun from burning them). If you removed it, or are born without it you would be able to see in the dark :o

Edited by Finity

8572849260_8f2cdda4d8_h.jpg

I'll have more than a crick in the neck if I read that!

I heard of a disease in which a woman couldn't see faces, I wonder how they could write and get around

that's pretty cool and awesome.I'm not really sure what to say though if its a good thing or bad thing.i do know i prefer the way i see normal though.she's unique though.good luck to her:)i believe she could fix the problem through the power of the mind

So, is this a problem with her visual cortex? Since images are upside down for everyone until they reach the visual cortex and are processed.