Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where To look for fossils

Lycanthropyst

I hope this is a good place to post this topic.I live in a place that many many years ago used to be with water and stuff.And my entire life ive always wanted to find fossils ive only found some seashells like thispacific-triton-seashell.jpg these are the most common. but im just interested will i find something more exciting than that and is it hard to find fossils. I dont know much about that so i would like to know.

Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadowSot

• tipotep

• Lycanthropyst

• lightly

Try a stone quarry, anywhere.

It saves you digging in rock.

But you will have to ask permission first because it could be dangerous to walk about in a quarry.

thanks for replying guys i was expecting some trolls:P

ill try to look for some chalk there, and there arent any quarries in the vicinity.I really dont know much about paleontology and finding fossils. but yesterday i was climbing a hill thats close to my town and i noticed so many seashells they were scattered everywhere thats what made me wanna look for some more.I'll post some pics these days its a really great place:)

Here in Florida we mostly only got limestone, so I find plenty of shells, coral, and teeth.

Y'also find a lot of other stuff that'smore recent, like mastadon bones which are pretty common.

Best way to find out where are good places to find fossils are to hit geology websites and look up fossil hunting for your area

Recent stuff:

0829111041-1.jpg

0829111041b.jpg

0831111341.jpg

0831111342.jpg

0904112213.jpg

0904112214.jpg

Here in Florida we mostly only got limestone, so I find plenty of shells, coral, and teeth.

Y'also find a lot of other stuff that'smore recent, like mastadon bones which are pretty common.

Best way to find out where are good places to find fossils are to hit geology websites and look up fossil hunting for your area

Recent stuff:

0829111041-1.jpg

0829111041b.jpg

0831111341.jpg

0831111342.jpg

0904112213.jpg

0904112214.jpg

Nice one Shadow , how old are those pieces you have ?

TiP.

Nice one Shadow , how old are those pieces you have ?

TiP.

The layer of limestone was layed down around 35,000 years ago. Mind boggling.

I can barely find instact shells at the beach.

The tooth I'm trying to identify.

Edited by ShadowSot

The layer of limestone was layed down around 35,000 years ago. Mind boggling.

I can barely find instact shells at the beach.

The tooth I'm trying to identify.

Mind boggling alright , hard to imagine you can just go and dig up 35,000 year old fossils near your home , im going to have a look and see if we have anything like that around here , i doubt it but you never know .

Is the long dark piece the tooth you are talking about ?

I was going to ask you about it as i thought it may have been a stone tool of some description , any ideas on what it animal it might have been from ?

TiP.

Mind boggling alright , hard to imagine you can just go and dig up 35,000 year old fossils near your home , im going to have a look and see if we have anything like that around here , i doubt it but you never know .

Is the long dark piece the tooth you are talking about ?

I was going to ask you about it as i thought it may have been a stone tool of some description , any ideas on what it animal it might have been from ?

TiP.

Whoops, forgot some zeros. That should be 35 million. ^^;

The springs are only about a two hour drive. Not to terribly far but long enough to make it a decent trip.

I think it might be a tooth, but so far I can't be sure. The layer it's in, humans hadn't even evolved yet.

I dunno, it's to recent to be a marine reptile. If it's a tooth, it could be a number of different things.

It might just be it's a neat looking rock.

Whoops, forgot some zeros. That should be 35 million. ^^;

The springs are only about a two hour drive. Not to terribly far but long enough to make it a decent trip.

I think it might be a tooth, but so far I can't be sure. The layer it's in, humans hadn't even evolved yet.

I dunno, it's to recent to be a marine reptile. If it's a tooth, it could be a number of different things.

It might just be it's a neat looking rock.

35 million !! now that is impressive .

You sparked my interst , i have had a look but it seems the nearest site to me would be a 4 -5 hour drive :angry:

Rock or tooth still impressive :yes:

Hey let us know if you find out what it is , i would be interested to know .

TiP.

35 million !! now that is impressive .

You sparked my interst , i have had a look but it seems the nearest site to me would be a 4 -5 hour drive :angry:

Rock or tooth still impressive :yes:

Hey let us know if you find out what it is , i would be interested to know .

TiP.

I took it with me to an archaeology lab, and someone there's a fossil hunter.

Stated what it probably is, based off of density and look, is the rib bone of a dugong or small whale. They used these bones for balast.

So I was just a bit off on the idea of it being a tooth.

Gravel pits are a good place to find fossils. Here in michigan we have gigantic gravel deposits. I think they were formed by glacial actions?

Anyway, i used to find aquatic plant and small animal fossils among the rubble.

I took it with me to an archaeology lab, and someone there's a fossil hunter.

Stated what it probably is, based off of density and look, is the rib bone of a dugong or small whale. They used these bones for balast.

So I was just a bit off on the idea of it being a tooth.

Bone or tooth - knowing that yoy have a piece of an animal that was alive 35 million years ago is special , thanks for sharing it with us .

Keep us posted of any new finds :tu:

TiP.