Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Child mauled to death by African painted dogs

pittsburgh zoo african painted dogs

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,819 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

Looks pretty low and easy to fall out of from inside, if you were standing on the upper barrier. The video shows people walking inside and it doesn't look very high at all, to me. As someone else posted I would have jumped in after my son. But that is no strike on the distraught mother.

http://usnews.nbcnew...inted-dogs?lite

Posted Image

Edited by QuiteContrary, 05 November 2012 - 06:37 AM.

#17    Betrayal of Humanity

Betrayal of Humanity

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

• Hitch your wagon to a star... -Emerson

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

How could anyone just stand there for 5 minutes and do nothing to try and help him? I beat even some of them were taking video of it with their phone. I could never just sit back while a child is being hurt, I would have jumped in even if it cost me my life.

Reminds me of how a group of people watched as a Father repeatedly jumped on his child and did nothing to help. How hard is it to band together as a group to try and help?

"The advocates of abortion on demand falsely assume two things: that women must suffer if the lives of unborn children are legally protected; and that women can only attain equality by having the legal option of destroying their innocent offspring in the womb." --  Robert Casey

#18    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

• “Ask not of things to shed their veils. Unveil yourselves, and things will be unveiled.”

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

I dont see how a crowd of people could just stand there and watch something like that happen. if at least 5 people were to jump in and save that baby it wouldve still been alive. They just sat there and watch as if it were a real time movie..  *** humans...    

Rip young one.. travel well

“Often you shall think your road impassable, sombre and companionless. Have will and plod along; and round each curve you shall find a new companion.”

#19    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

• “Ask not of things to shed their veils. Unveil yourselves, and things will be unveiled.”

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostBetrayal of Humanity, on 05 November 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

How could anyone just stand there for 5 minutes and do nothing to try and help him? I beat even some of them were taking video of it with their phone. I could never just sit back while a child is being hurt, I would have jumped in even if it cost me my life.

Reminds me of how a group of people watched as a Father repeatedly jumped on his child and did nothing to help. How hard is it to band together as a group to try and help?
i didnt see this reply. but this exactly how im feeling.

“Often you shall think your road impassable, sombre and companionless. Have will and plod along; and round each curve you shall find a new companion.”

#20    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

I wonder if there is foul play involved.

If my kid fell like that, nothing could keep me from vaulting in there and covering him with my body.

But I pray I never am tested like that.

#21    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 05 November 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

I wonder if there is foul play involved.

If my kid fell like that, nothing could keep me from vaulting in there and covering him with my body.

I probably won't have children.

I don't know how I could live with myself if I saw something like that happen to my kid.

#22    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

What on earth possessed the mother to put the child on top of the fence? But also, having fallen off the fence, why wasn't there some sort of net that worked for him to land on? Catalogue of errors :hmm:

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#23    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,708 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

There is no way that I wouldn't have been down there protecting my child.  No way.  Although, someone in shock can freeze and not be able to move, so, I know from past experience that I would not freeze like that, others may not be able to react.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#24    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,761 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

Yeah, great points. I'm sure even a pack of 7 dogs(or whatever) would not want to take-on 10 angry humans, and thus likely would have scampered away.

#25    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

There were signs not to be standing on the rail but yet she put her child on it.  I don't understand why she did this.  If the kid needed a better view pick him up and hold him.

I couldn't of stood there and watched my child being mauled like that.  I would of went in after him immediately.

I also hope he died from the fall but I have my doubts about that.

I hate to say this but there are some that want to get rid of their kids.  We just assume because we would want to protect our children with our life others would, remember Susan Smith.

#26    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Hilander, are you under the age of 25, by any chance?

#27    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

I just read it was the dogs that killed the little boy.

Medical examiner: African dogs killed boy who fell into Pittsburgh zoo exhibit

#28    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 05 November 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

Hilander, are you under the age of 25, by any chance?
No, why?

#29    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Most of the people I interact with who write and say "should of" or "could of" instead of "should have" or "could have" are under 25. I actually wrote a thesis on the effects of texting and the infrequency with which younger people read books on the evolution of our language, so I was curious.

#30    zebra99

zebra99

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

The Mother lifted her child onto the fence as in the illustration.She was stupidly irresponsible,but why the zoo couldn't forsee this and mesh or glaze the viewing area God only knows.In picture two another observation area is partly wired.From what I can gather there is a mesh guard under the observation area...but the child bounced off this INTO the compound.
I blame both the Mother and the zoo in this case.A few years ago a child fell from a wall into a gorilla compound where luckily a silverback protected the lad from the other gorillas and he survived.A mesh fence would have avoided this too.Zoo planners worry that too much wire will spoil 'the experience' but surely low walls or fences are going to be useless as a barrier for the stupid or suicidal.

As for this earlier comment...

"I don't know the exact situation as to what happened, but surely there must've been someone around who was capable of jumping in after the kid to save him, it's not as though they are tigers or lions."

African wild dogs are much feared by lions, and single animals will run if they see a pack approaching.The Indian wild dogs (Dholes) regularly tree tigers and leopards who also have a healthy respect for them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users