Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Live tapeworm pulled from man's brain

Still Waters

A California man is recovering after he had a live tapeworm removed from his brain during emergency surgery.

Luis Ortiz was admitted to a hospital in Napa with what he called the worst headache of his life.

In a brain scan, neurosurgeon Soren Singel discovered the larva of a tapeworm and told Mr Ortiz he had about 30 minutes to live.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-34732010

• Like 5

And this is why it is wise to avoid drinking poop filled water....wait, that is just a good idea in general.

• Like 8

The US Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports larval cysts in the brain - neurocysticercosis - develop after a person swallows microscopic eggs passed in the faeces of a person who has an intestinal pork tapeworm.

The CDC says approximately 1,000 people per year are hospitalised for neurocysticercosis and removal of the larvae.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34732010

How? what? WHY?

Do I really want to know?

• Like 8

Good reason to cook pork well and wash your hands after a good poop. Truth is this could have come from a resturant worker that didn't wash their hands. Kind of wondering if you shake hands with someone that didn't wash if it could be transmitted.

Did anyone notice this article at the bottom of the OP article.

Man died with 'tapeworm tumours'

• Like 7

Doesn't America have filter water machines

We do, though not all people use them or buy filtered water.

Our tap water is chlorinated, which kills all kinds of nasties, but not sure if it kills that. Likely does.

The issue here appears to have come from someone who has an intestinal tapeworm, pooped, did not wash their hands thoroughly, and unwittingly transferred the microscopic eggs of said nasties to someone else (who eventually ingested them) in any number of ways.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Wait, he had a half hour to live? It takes longer then that to just wheel you across the hospital to the O.R.. Much less prep the patient and get the O.R. ready with blood and tools. Maybe the half hour was a lowball estimate?

• Like 1

Wait, he had a half hour to live? It takes longer then that to just wheel you across the hospital to the O.R.. Much less prep the patient and get the O.R. ready with blood and tools. Maybe the half hour was a lowball estimate?

yeah, it's strange. the article doesn't actually give much detail about how they removed it. from the one quote, it sounds like he was concious when they did it? which makes me shudder a bit.

• Like 1

yeah, it's strange. the article doesn't actually give much detail about how they removed it. from the one quote, it sounds like he was concious when they did it? which makes me shudder a bit.

I think they actually do a lot of brain surgeries with the patient awake, so they can tell if they do something monumentally wrong immediately. I'm not sure that if they did, what it is they think they might do to fix it though. Maybe super-glue?

• Like 4

I have a well, not filtered and love it but I live in a very rural area. This is a case of not washing hands after bathroom break or someone that served him possibly a salad and not washing their hands.
  • Like 1

I think they actually do a lot of brain surgeries with the patient awake, so they can tell if they do something monumentally wrong immediately. I'm not sure that if they did, what it is they think they might do to fix it though. Maybe super-glue?

did some reading, and it seems like you're right.

i'm still shuddering about it though

• Like 2

And it is for this reason, among others, that I avoid bodily contact and don't eat pork.