Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pink Floyd's movie The Wall

defective_one51

I just watched Pink Floyd's movie The Wall for the first time...and lemmie just say, wow! That was amazing:clap: ! But...the only thing was I don't understand a single thing. I can tell there's a TON of symbolism but I can't pick it all out. Can anyone explain to me what the heck was going on in that movie...I know it was depicting Pink's life and how his father died when he was young and his mother was super strict and neglected him and he hated school but does the movie have much more depth? I'm just sooo confused dontgetit.gif ! Thanks for the help. happy.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• defective_one51

• JackBauer

Top Posters In This Topic

Hrmm.. did you watch it stoned, or sober? Because no one will understand it sober, hahaha.

It's a tough one, and took me several times to get it, but here's the jist that i understood:

(It was really exciting the first time i actually got it, haha)

The main story focuses around a man, who i think is named 'Pink Floyd'.

This mans life is so destroyed and screwed up, he's practically trapped inside his own mind, trapped behind a 'Wall' of cascading emotions that are keeping him almost in a subconcious state. On the side of the Wall that he is on, is his memories of his life and how he came to get this way, and he cannot continue with his life unless he can get past the Wall and break through to the otherside.

So, inside his mind he shuffles through these memories, trying to sort out where he went wrong exactly, where his life turned from normal into a cess pile of hatred and destruction.

He remembers his 'faceless' childhood, where in school all the kids had to look and act a certain way, and that, he realised, added several 'bricks to the Wall' in his mind.

He suffles through all his memories and finds out what added bricks to his Wall. Eventually, all these thoughts and feelings, all his frustration at not being able to get through the wall starts to pile ontop of him, and in the scene with the groupie, he lets it all out.

And falls into an almost comatose state. He feels like society is just one big **** and he's being crapped on by it, as seen in the part with the huge ******** talking down to him.

WHat happens next is a little sketchy. Basically, he has now retreated even further back into his mind. SOmeone called the paramedics, probably the groupie, so they come and give him some shots and stuff. They take him to hospital, fix him up, spit him back out into the world. But he is still trapped behind the wall, and until he can break down the Wall and be free inside his mind he will not be right in the actual world.

Meanwhile in the real world, something George Orwellish has happened to him. After they fixed him up, they gave him a fake face, personality, etc, and i don't really know how to explain the next part, where he's the dictator at the end there.

But in the end, he breaks down the Wall, bursts through, and is able to live again.

Sorry for that sad ending, i had to rush it. I'm sure someone would be able to fill in my blanks.

I saw the movie a couple months back and enjoyed it not just because of the structure of the movie and with the acting and such, but because of the music. I love Pink Floyd, and it was pretty neat to hear the music in the background as you watch it.

The music isn't really for the background, it tells the story.

We should rent it again. It's so good.

Hrmm.. did you watch it stoned, or sober? Because no one will understand it sober, hahaha.

It's a tough one, and took me several times to get it, but here's the jist that i understood:

(It was really exciting the first time i actually got it, haha)

The main story focuses around a man, who i think is named 'Pink Floyd'.

This mans life is so destroyed and screwed up, he's practically trapped inside his own mind, trapped behind a 'Wall' of cascading emotions that are keeping him almost in a subconcious state. On the side of the Wall that he is on, is his memories of his life and how he came to get this way, and he cannot continue with his life unless he can get past the Wall and break through to the otherside.

So, inside his mind he shuffles through these memories, trying to sort out where he went wrong exactly, where his life turned from normal into a cess pile of hatred and destruction.

He remembers his 'faceless' childhood, where in school all the kids had to look and act a certain way, and that, he realised, added several 'bricks to the Wall' in his mind.

He suffles through all his memories and finds out what added bricks to his Wall. Eventually, all these thoughts and feelings, all his frustration at not being able to get through the wall starts to pile ontop of him, and in the scene with the groupie, he lets it all out.

And falls into an almost comatose state. He feels like society is just one big **** and he's being crapped on by it, as seen in the part with the huge ******** talking down to him.

WHat happens next is a little sketchy. Basically, he has now retreated even further back into his mind. SOmeone called the paramedics, probably the groupie, so they come and give him some shots and stuff. They take him to hospital, fix him up, spit him back out into the world. But he is still trapped behind the wall, and until he can break down the Wall and be free inside his mind he will not be right in the actual world.

Meanwhile in the real world, something George Orwellish has happened to him. After they fixed him up, they gave him a fake face, personality, etc, and i don't really know how to explain the next part, where he's the dictator at the end there.

But in the end, he breaks down the Wall, bursts through, and is able to live again.

Sorry for that sad ending, i had to rush it. I'm sure someone would be able to fill in my blanks.

502647[/snapback]

Thanks for all the help! I am watching it right now and it makes more sense now. Guess it's one of those kind you have to watch over and over again ya know. The only down side is that I think they should have added all of the songs that are on the video to the wall album. Pink Floyd rocks!

No problem.

But wait, one of the things about The Wall is that everyone has a different opinion on exactly what the symbolism is ment to portray and how the story goes.

So make your own mind up on it. Just take mine as a guideline. thumbsup.gif