Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What happens when you die?

Bling

If you are an atheist, agnostic, non believer, non religious person....what do you believe happens when you die?

Physically, Spiritually, Emotionally, Morally....whatever.

If everyone is honest with themselves the answer would be

"I dont know"

And im a agnostic btw

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

Non Religious person: Your mind takes all that you have experienced here, and starts a new story at another bat time and bat channel, after you decide what you learned from the last play, and what you'd like to learn in the next one. It may or may not be a physical play on Earth. But there are a lot of plays you're involved in here on Earth, as well as other places you don't know exist from your vantage point in this play, all simultaneously.

I believe this is possible, and that's as close as I am to believing anything that happens when you die. I just really don't know.

• Like 2

Well there are really only two logical answers to this question.

The first is that nothing happens because your conciousness is an epi phenomenon of your brain. When it's dead, you are gone. Some may experience the below just before death.

The answer would be based on statistically analyzing NDES. And is the position that your brain is a receiver of conciousness and when it's dead, your awareness goes back to where it came from.

1) you may see your self outside of your body

2) a life review of your entire life will spin through your awareness

3) you will have the feeling of traveling through some sort of tunnel into what you will perceive as a bright light.

4) at the end of this tunnel benevolent spirits will be waiting for you. These are unusually passed family members and sometimes a much more overwhelming loving presence. For a small portion of people usually people who have particularly bad to words others the spirits seem not benovolant.

5) then there is place, for most, of overwhelming love and release.

Take your pick. They are equally logical, neither requires faith, and the only thing for certain is that one or the other will happen to you evenchually. Oh, and you will have to pay taxes along the way ;)

If you are an atheist, agnostic, non believer, non religious person....what do you believe happens when you die?

Well, classicaly like a dead fish, you are, um, just dead.

Hopefully for humans this will not be the case.

You erm.. soil yourself.

Edited by Rlyeh

You erm.. soil yourself.

As someone who has recently lost a member of the family, I don't find that amusing or appropriate....ever. If you think that's funny, well......

• Like 1

Well there are really only two logical answers to this question.

The first is that nothing happens because your conciousness is an epi phenomenon of your brain. When it's dead, you are gone. Some may experience the below just before death.

The answer would be based on statistically analyzing NDES. And is the position that your brain is a receiver of conciousness and when it's dead, your awareness goes back to where it came from.

1) you may see your self outside of your body

2) a life review of your entire life will spin through your awareness

3) you will have the feeling of traveling through some sort of tunnel into what you will perceive as a bright light.

4) at the end of this tunnel benevolent spirits will be waiting for you. These are unusually passed family members and sometimes a much more overwhelming loving presence. For a small portion of people usually people who have particularly bad to words others the spirits seem not benovolant.

5) then there is place, for most, of overwhelming love and release.

Take your pick. They are equally logical, neither requires faith, and the only thing for certain is that one or the other will happen to you evenchually. Oh, and you will have to pay taxes along the way ;)

I respect your theories. Interesting :tu:

Well, classicaly like a dead fish, you are, um, just dead.

Hopefully for humans this will not be the case.

'Hopefully for humans this is not the case'- so what do you believe is the case?

I love that this topic has no right or wrong answers!

As someone who has recently lost a member of the family, I don't find that amusing or appropriate....ever. If you think that's funny, well......

Why ask a question when you really don't want to hear the answers?

Why ask a question when you really don't want to hear the answers?

OK you go ahead and tell us about the physical things that happen to our body when we die. Feel free!

OK you go ahead and tell us about the physical things that happen to our body when we die. Feel free!

Physically we die, and rot.

Some adherents of quantum physics have a different take on what happens afterwards.

Edited by pallidin

You die.

Seriously. Everyone single one of us is going to spend the majority of the universe DEAD. You will have the majority of the universe to know what happens when you die. Why are you so worried about it now? The tiny portion you spend existing you worry about the majority you will spend dead.

I don't get it. We will find out soon enough anyway.

Edited by Kazoo
  • Like 2

i'd fall under the category of non religious in the sense that i don't adhere to any specific religion - but i do believe in god

what i believe, or let's say want to believe, is that we still exist with awareness.

although i always sort of thought there must be more, it wasn't a big question in my life. since my son died i find myself wondering where he is, how he is, if he is. it helps to imagine he is existing somewhere other than my memory.

Hi ya Bling, sorry to hear of your recent loss. Here’s a short film about a NDE that is really nice I hope you like it,

also here’s a 14min film by a doctor who had a stroke and tells of her experience. She did not die but her experience is heart warming and a message all should hear. I have practiced meditation for over 30yrs and have been lucky enough to have experienced the same as the good doctor and a bit more there is an Inner Light it is Love it is our home. You can KNOW this experience for yourself by practicing meditation under the tutelage of a good teacher. I like your dancing banana. Take care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEY ‘ a stroke of insight’

‘all that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream’ Edgar Allen Poe

There are atheist who believe in an after life here is a site: http://www.cfpf.org.uk/.

I don't know, I do care, and I fear death. I believe those who say they don't, well they are sincere, but perhaps we don't know know we feel about death until we get the news from our doctor. Sorry about you loss, awful, I know there is nothing that can be said by a stranger that helps, but death sucks big time.

I hope this site gives you some help.

"What happens when you die?"

Well, erm, you die. That's the best we can get out of it.

Frankly though, I wouldn't mind some struggle in the afterlife if one exists. What I can't fathom is complete oblivion - no pain, no happiness, no consciousness, nothing - just oblivion. That horrifies me the most.

We rot, and our bodies become one with the earth. We don't have any evidence for an afterlife and from a scientific standpoint it is strictly impossible for one to exist. Quite frankly, I do not view death in a negative light, rather I view it as a beautiful thing; our energy will exist in the universe until its end... our energy will exist in the soil, in the trees, in the plants, etc. People who believe in afterlife are not only kidding themselves, but living an unfulfilled life. What comfort exists in believing that when you die, you get to spend an eternity with loved ones? That sounds quite depressing, to be honest. My great grandparents are dead, and that's it. I will not be seeing them at the end of milk-white tunnel as I die, and I won't be spending an eternity with them, either. In believing as such, we take things for granted.. I love life, and knowing there is only one encourages me to pursue my dreams and aspirations, as this is the only chance I will have. Life is a beautiful thing, so instead of taking pictures... experience it, cherish it... We are truly privileged to be able to thrive on this azrael mass in this vast universe.

i'd fall under the category of non religious in the sense that i don't adhere to any specific religion - but i do believe in god

what i believe, or let's say want to believe, is that we still exist with awareness.

although i always sort of thought there must be more, it wasn't a big question in my life. since my son died i find myself wondering where he is, how he is, if he is. it helps to imagine he is existing somewhere other than my memory.

:(

Don't worry Jgirl. I have been to the spirit world. It's there Im certain of it.

If I am wrong, and I'm simply talented at altered states of conciousness and nature is simply a cold random but deterministic march, be assured this life is merely a snapshot of a rare probability in an infinity of causality. As such the number will come up again somewhere or some time and your life with your son will come up again and is indeed a constant of the universe. Eitherway, we spend an eternity in the presence of those that we love. Logically there is no reason to assume that there is only one go then poof it's over forever. The only way that happens is if there is a creator god that allows true death, and I do not believe that for a second :)

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 1

I'll tell when I'll come back.... if I remember :P

Ah, the Houdini method.

You know that state of mind you're in when in a dreamless sleep? When you aren't aware of anything at all and don't even know you're sleeping? That's the most probable way of explaining death to me.

Humans hold themselves in the highest regards because we are the most advanced creature on Earth, but even then, we're still just that...animals. My Religious teacher once told me that animals don't have souls and I know for a fact that this is because we cannot understand them or that they aren't as advanced as us but it's a fact that in reality, we too are just animals with a superiority complex.

Edited by Sean93
  • Like 1

We don't have any evidence for an afterlife and from a scientific standpoint it is strictly impossible for one to exist.

This is completely incorrect. We have plenty of evidence, and science says absolutely nothing about an afterlife... It can't possibly.

If the universe is built upon probability only, then the arrangements of baryonic matter are finite. If something is possible it will come about again evenchually. Our lives and universe then become a repeating scenario vastly separated but infinitely repetitive. Either way we have eternal life.

Edited by Seeker79