Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Woman with "Visions" Amazes Detective

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,774 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Powers says Ragland and her children came to the house without knowing it was the boy's, walked on to the property and right to the partially buried body.
Powers says he searched the area previously without seeing it. He says the situation is "extremely bizarre" and he's "blown away."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...s#ixzz2YpANTzax

#2    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Like your uncle, only better

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

• There's definitely something weird going on in this Firm.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

POPULAR

I would think that taking police to a body would place you dead center in the investigation.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#3    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,774 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 12 July 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

I would think that taking police to a body would place you dead center in the investigation.

Indeed, my thoughts also, and I'm sure that will be looked at.

Let's hope, for the sake of possible evidence of the paranormal, that she is in no way connected to the murder.

#4    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Yeah... if forensics confirm it was there when Powers visited it, then okay, it's bizarre, but dont count out the other possibility.

Wherever there's a problem, there's solutions.
Answers are found from a wide deep perspective, from opened mind's eyes.
From where good and bad stay silent and you hear the real cause and effect, and big picture.
Giving up is wasting your time, but also necessary to find the true cause you didn't find yet.
Staying in the path is necessary only when there's trueness in that path.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,669 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

The mother said he was autistic and the father said he was a normal kid.  What's that about?  Since they arrested the step brother wonder if they will be looking at the mother.

The police work with physics more than you think and sometimes they are very helpful.

Edited by Hilander, 12 July 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#6    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

First time in history. Definitely a prime suspect now

#7    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

It is confirmation bias, nothing more. The thousands of cases where she guessed wrong are ignored, now once she has a lucky hit, and voila, it must be a miraculous power.

That is how religionists believe in miracles. Ridiculous.

#8    rustygh

rustygh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

View Postpallidin, on 12 July 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Indeed, my thoughts also, and I'm sure that will be looked at.

Let's hope, for the sake of possible evidence of the paranormal, that she is in no way connected to the murder.

Rather lets hope they find out how she was connected and wash away any idea of the paranormal as should be.

#9    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,146 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostHilander, on 12 July 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

The police work with physics more than you think and sometimes they are very helpful.

Maybe Physics, but not Psychics :)

"We discovered that the work of the psychics was not just ludicrous and laughable. it was sinister and evil....None of it ever led anywhere except to despair and disappointment, misery and confusion." --John Tate, father of Genette Tate who disappeared in 1978 (quoted in Investigating the Unexplained, p. 42)

A psychic detective (PD) is an alleged psychic who offers to help law enforcement agencies solve crimes.

In their book, The Blue Sense: Psychic Detectives and Crime, Arthur Lyons and Marcello Truzzi list many reasons people without any psychic powers gain a reputation for assisting in the detection of crime. In many cases, most of the evidence in favor of the psychic detective is provided to the mass media by the psychic rather than by an independent source. The mass media are rarely critical or skeptical of the claims of psychics. For example, alleged psychic detective Sylvia Browne has declared many times that she has used her psychic powers to solve crimes, yet it is rare to see her challenged as she was by Brill's Content.

Brill's Content has examined ten recent Montel Williams programs that highlighted Browne's work as a psychic detective (as opposed to her ideas about "the afterlife," for example), spanning 35 cases. In 21, the details were too vague to be verified. Of the remaining 14, law-enforcement officials or family members involved in the investigations say that Browne had played no useful role.
"These guys don't solve cases, and the media consistently gets it wrong," says Michael Corn, an investigative producer for "Inside Edition" who produced a story last May debunking psychic detectives. Moreover, the FBI and the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children maintain that to their knowledge, psychic detectives have never helped solve a single missing-person case..."Zero. They go on TV and I see how things go and what they claim but no, zero," says FBI agent Chris Whitcomb. "They may be remarkable in other ways, but the FBI does not use them"...............................More : http://www.skepdic.com/psychdet.html

Another good read:

Mass Media Funk

criminal profiling: cold reading for cold cases

November 15, 2007. Psychologist Ray Hyman tells the story of how he got interested in the psychology of self-deception. He was a college student, earning money as a palm reader. He'd read several books on the art but didn't believe any of it. He got so much positive feedback from his customers, however, that he started to think that maybe he did have psychic powers. The self-deception didn't last long, however. In an interview with Michael Shermer, Ray explained:.....................

http://skepdic.com/refuge/funk58.html

Edited by Sakari, 13 July 2013 - 06:08 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#10    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,774 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

View Postrustygh, on 13 July 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

Rather lets hope they find out how she was connected and wash away any idea of the paranormal as should be.

Good. I'm OK with that too, though for myself I do believe in the paranormal.

I will "debunk", as there is a lot of crap out there, but I am not a 100% debunker, at all. And this case seems appealing and worthy of further investigation of her.

I know that news changes very quickly anymore, but I hope that some type of full follow-up is done on her "visions", either to established fraud, complicity or whatever, or, to establish that this might actually be one of those rare, truly unexplainable events.

As fast as the news changes though, this might be the last we hear of her(other than a repeat in court of her discovery, of course)

But I hope we do hear more, much more, about her and this murder case.

Would be rather sad for the believing paranormal community if this is just filed away.

#11    dibatag

dibatag

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

• Do not belive everything you are told is true

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

I wish she would come and find my odd socks

#12    Fishface

Fishface

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything." - Edward Phelps.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

View Postpallidin, on 13 July 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

Good. I'm OK with that too, though for myself I do believe in the paranormal.

I will "debunk", as there is a lot of crap out there, but I am not a 100% debunker, at all. And this case seems appealing and worthy of further investigation of her.

I know that news changes very quickly anymore, but I hope that some type of full follow-up is done on her "visions", either to established fraud, complicity or whatever, or, to establish that this might actually be one of those rare, truly unexplainable events.

As fast as the news changes though, this might be the last we hear of her(other than a repeat in court of her discovery, of course)

But I hope we do hear more, much more, about her and this murder case.

Would be rather sad for the believing paranormal community if this is just filed away.

I am a practicing Catholic and as such I very much believe in the paranormal. I agree that there is a lot of crap out there with regard to this subject and it can be difficult to sort out the wheat from the chaff. I firmly believe, however, that there are a few people in the world with extraordinary psychic gifts and I wonder how many are aware of the remarkable talents of the American psychic Dixie Yeterian. Without the need to say any more I recommend watching the documentary at the following link. Her story is a truly remarkable one indeed:  http://easylink.play...ixiey/dixie.wvx

#13    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:24 AM

"Powers said Ragland called a tip line to say she was envisioning a location, and was invited to join the search.

Ragland and her children came to the house"

http://www.foxnews.c...s#ixzz2YyjujL67

That is just odd on several levels, imo.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#14    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,339 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

Is she the killer

#15    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:28 AM

How horribly sad... I really feel for the father of the boy who just wanted to bring him back home.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users