Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does The Sun light the earth?

xcodesia

There are countries (northern) on the earth which the sun is shining on the sky but it seems and feels like it is still night also clock shows that it is night. Or it seems and feels like morning but the sun doesnt appear. Is there any research that if there are layers on the earth which transforms sun light into night or day?

Are you referring to the polar night and day phenomenons? This occurs due to the Earth's axial tilt and occurs around the solstices.

im cunfuzzled

Are you referring to the polar night and day phenomenons? This occurs due to the Earth's axial tilt and occurs around the solstices.

darn you was about to post that

• Like 2

There are countries (northern) on the earth which the sun is shining on the sky but it seems and feels like it is still night also clock shows that it is night. Or it seems and feels like morning but the sun doesnt appear. Is there any research that if there are layers on the earth which transforms sun light into night or day?

:blink:

• Like 1

The simple answer to your question is yes.

I have to be honest, I really can't work out what it is you are trying to say.

• Like 1

Only time the sun can be in the sky yet look like night time is during a total eclipse.

i was confused to

• Like 1

Only time the sun can be in the sky yet look like night time is during a total eclipse.

Even then it's not quite like night. The solar corona becomes visible and gives the sky an eerie pink colour. It's more like dawn or dusk than night.

im cunfuzzled

....instant word o'the day! :D

It's called shift work sometimes I'm walking around working and the clock says it's night and then I go to bed and it is like all bright and stuff like it's day. yes there has been a lot of research in this area and everybody I talked to said it sucks.

....instant word o'the day! :D

lol your welcome!

Even then it's not quite like night. The solar corona becomes visible and gives the sky an eerie pink colour. It's more like dawn or dusk than night.

Oh, picky, picky, picky... :D

Well how about this..when there is a volcanic eruption and there is ash fall..that can turn day into night. I recall seeing that on the news at one time.

To this part (in Bold) the answer is NO.

Extreme Northern and Southern Latitudes DO experience virtually (but not quite) 6 months of daylight and 6 Months of darkness (but not at the same time :-* ) so you would indeed think that it was bedtime when in fact the Sun is still in the sky.

For reference, at the equator, day and night are approximately the same (a few minutes added for refraction) which sounds pretty good but imagine the sun rising at 6am and going down at 6pm before you have organised the Barbecue!!.

I would just like to add that for where I live in Spain sunrise today (19 July 2013) is 07:13, sunset at 21:34, but where I work in Germany Sunrise is: 05:08 and sunset is 21:17. and to be honest it messes with my biological functions in the morning :blush:

I suggest you google "Land of the Midnight Sun" which will describe in detail the answer that you are looking for.

Edited by keithisco