Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Painted turtles set to become all-female

painted turtles chrysemys picta

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 41,383 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

Males don't stand a chance in a warmer world, if they happen to be painted turtles. A temperature rise of around 1 °C is all it would take for the species to become 100 per cent female and earmarked for extinction.

Painted turtles (Chrysemys picta), found in lakes and streams across North America, are one of many reptile species whose sex is determined by temperature. Eggs in warm nests are likely to hatch as females, while males hatch in cooler nests, although no one is sure why.

Posted Image

#2    Razer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Eggs in warm nests are likely to hatch as females.  So a few males would still be born, they would have no competition in mating from males that would only hatch in cooler nests.  So they would pass on the genetic difference that had allowed them to hatch in the warmer conditions.

But it would not come to that anyway since they are found in "lakes and streams across North America" and North America of course does not have a uniform temperature.

This part makes me laugh... "In recent years, many researchers have raised concerns that global warming could skew the sex ratios of these reptiles."  I thought the fear mongers stopped using "global warming" years ago, now they call it "climate change".   It was only a few decades ago (back in the 70s) when the big fear was global cooling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users