Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

78,000 people apply for trip to Mars

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

We didn't even attempt to colonize the moon which is much closer to earth, and we're looking to put people on Mars!  Makes no sense to me at all.

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#32    Oakum

Oakum

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

• The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

The fact of the matter is that these applicants were all charged $33 US application fee. This is a scam considering that the applicants already pledged their lives when applying, should not be charged anything in my opinion.
Mars One stated that they would get their funding from the Media and promoters alike. And how about those poor applicants that are rejected from the program? Do they get a refund? Not!

78,000 applicants X $33 US = $2,574,000

Expected applicants 500,000 X $33 US = $16,500,000 of pure profit..

Posted Image

#33    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

View Postdanielost, on 10 May 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

You know those golf balls the hit into orbit on the moon.  The truth is they didn't go any further than they would have on earth.

Alan Shepard (Apollo 14) hit two golf balls on the moon. After taking his second shot, Shepard observed the ball seemed to travel for "miles and miles and miles."

http://io9.com/56540...miles-and-miles

To redeation proof it they need lead.

Theoretically, almost any material can be used for radiation shielding if employed in a thickness sufficient to attenuate the radiation to safe limits.

Lead and concrete are among the most commonly used materials.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#34    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Every since these numbers as to how many applicants have applied hit the news, it's made me quite thoughtful in regarding this matter.

In regards to the Mars One project, I just find it absolutely incredible. I have been watching the applicant videos on the Mars One website. (You can rate these videos by the way.) The videos are about one minute long and underneath the video is some blurb from the applicant.
I find it very interesting to learn of some of the reasons why these people are so keen on going to Mars. However, I also find it very sad that these people may not realise their own possibility of dying. None of them seem to appear to have any clue as to the mechanics of getting to Mars, surviving the trip and also surviving the landing. Mars has no atmosphere. Mars has no magnetic field. And I'm pretty sure that Mars is a 'dead' planet. The Mars One website states the following:

" Mars One is a not-for-profit organization whose goal is to establish a human settlement on Mars through the integration of existing, readily available technologies from industry leaders world-wide."

So, with 'existing' technology going to Mars and colonizing it is possible? Really? Is that so? Either they know something that the rest of us don't or someone somewhere is seriously doing some crack-pipe dreaming.
We are still using fossil fuels. But yet we have 'existing' technology to get to Mars.

One of the questions on the application form is: 'What kind of sense of humour do you have?'   (From what I have read, there are only three questions asked).
Hasn't anyone picked up as to why that particular question is asked? For one of Humans greatest achievement, like -the biggest thing- we would have done in our entire history, there is a question on a application form about having a sense of humour.

Really? How does that relate to anything? I think I may know why: Because the whole thing is going to turn out to be a big joke.

Maybe it's just me, but I would really like to know just -how- this all could be actually possible.

Though, I will add that in regards to the videos of the applicants, much kudos as they have had the balls to video themselves and put it on the Internet. I'd never have the guts to do that.

Kind Regards.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#35    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,667 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostHazzard, on 11 May 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

Alan Shepard (Apollo 14) hit two golf balls on the moon. After taking his second shot, Shepard observed the ball seemed to travel for "miles and miles and miles."

http://io9.com/56540...miles-and-miles

Theoretically, almost any material can be used for radiation shielding if employed in a thickness sufficient to attenuate the radiation to safe limits.

Lead and concrete are among the most commonly used materials.

That might be true.  But, you can't see through lead and concrete.  How ever they use lead in the process of making crystal.  I have seen a crystal glass you could stand on and not break it.  This was some twenty years ago, and the salesman even stood on it to prove it.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#36    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,677 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

I would Still Go just for the Lunch,and the Almost Crash landing ! THats going to be a Blast ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#37    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,152 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

View Postdanielost, on 09 May 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

We can make air and water, usa's nuclear subs do.
No they do not.

We've been through this once before (HERE). They make oxygen FROM water. Why would a submarine which is totally surrounded by the stuff need to make water?

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 16 May 2013 - 02:49 PM.
added link.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#38    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,667 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 16 May 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

No they do not.

We've been through this once before (HERE). They make oxygen FROM water. Why would a submarine which is totally surrounded by the stuff need to make water?

Yes, we have.  Yet the shows on nuclear subs. Clearly state that they make their own water.  Besides the shuttle made its own water.  The only water they carried was for the station.  Seems you need an engine or a power generater to make your own water.  Further the apollo ships didn't carry water.  They taped their engine for it.  The only apollo that needed tp store water was 13  and that is because they had to shut down their engine.  I will take the shows word over yours becaue you have been wrong before.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#39    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,677 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:44 AM

Wow ! THats not quite a mouth full . :cry:

#40    rustygh

rustygh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

• “For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
    ― Carl Sagan

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 16 May 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

No they do not.

#41    rustygh

rustygh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

• “For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
    ― Carl Sagan

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostNiteMarcher, on 10 May 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

We didn't even attempt to colonize the moon which is much closer to earth, and we're looking to put people on Mars!  Makes no sense to me at all.

#42    rustygh

rustygh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

― Carl Sagan

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

They turn the salt water into usable drinking and washing water. Sure they do. Just because a submarine is surrounded by salt water doesn't mean its usable for much.

Earth and moon will eventually be toast by our own sun. Makes all the sense in the world. We need to start somewhere. This planets on a deadline believe it or not

Edited by rustygh, 17 May 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#43    GirlfromOz

GirlfromOz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

So when I said that NASA will soon come to an end,they approach the human population & ask them if they want to commit suicide & go to Mars.Thanks NASA!I know that NASA stands for 'Need Another Seven Astronauts'! Go at your own risk.

#44    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,677 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostGirlfromOz, on 18 May 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

So when I said that NASA will soon come to an end,they approach the human population & ask them if they want to commit suicide & go to Mars.Thanks NASA!I know that NASA stands for 'Need Another Seven Astronauts'! Go at your own risk.
WOw ! Thats not NASA`s way in any shape or form ! THey are why we are where er are today in our quest for Space and exploration. No one on this planet will disagree on that one ! NASA still Rocks ! Were just in a low point as far as commitment !

#45    dibatag

dibatag

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

• Do not belive everything you are told is true

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

78000 idiots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users