Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Early Christians weren’t persecuted

persecuted romans jesus christians

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 11 March 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Actually the Romans persecuted anyone who didn't go along with the state the Gauls, Celts, Sarmatians, etc. I don't think they really cared what religion you were as long as you paid tribute to the state. The used to kill Druids on sight.
Druids were major targets, Caesar says because thay had human sacrifices (the Romans were horrified by this but nevertheless had the Coliseum.  I've never understood.)Otherwise the Romans were tolerant and readily accepted additional deities or identified them with deities the Romans already had.  Jews were even for the most part given special dispensation to not have to sacrifice to the state deities (because of antiquity) until, of course, they launched rebellion.It is widely thought that the persecutions under Nero were myth; even though the Christians would not do the proper sacrifices, the Roman state generally followed a "do not ask" policy until Diocletian, who was trying to somehow save the old system and saw the Christians for what they turned out to be -- a serious threat to classical civilization.Of course we know he failed and did nothing but allow the Christians a chance to demonstrate their courage and faith (and stupidity?).

#17    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Easy a sacrifice is just killing against somebody who is usually helpless to defend themselves. The coliseum shows courage and prowess of battle and has whole slew of other activities; ok some where quite screwed up but I can't find myself hating it completely. If I had the choice between a death sentence being strapped with no chance to fight back or fighting in an arena. I'd take the arena any given day of the week.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the persecution of early Christians were a tad bit embellished.

#18    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,410 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 11 March 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Druids were major targets, Caesar says because thay had human sacrifices (the Romans were horrified by this but nevertheless had the Coliseum.  I've never understood.)Otherwise the Romans were tolerant and readily accepted additional deities or identified them with deities the Romans already had.  Jews were even for the most part given special dispensation to not have to sacrifice to the state deities (because of antiquity) until, of course, they launched rebellion.It is widely thought that the persecutions under Nero were myth; even though the Christians would not do the proper sacrifices, the Roman state generally followed a "do not ask" policy until Diocletian, who was trying to somehow save the old system and saw the Christians for what they turned out to be -- a serious threat to classical civilization.Of course we know he failed and did nothing but allow the Christians a chance to demonstrate their courage and faith (and stupidity?).

The Celts were a wild bunch, but I think the reason for Caesar for going after the Druids is because they traveled from place to place and were a major source come communication for the Celtic peoples of central Europe, from what I have read.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#19    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

The Celts in Gaul were probably as advanced as the Romans, or not far behind.  At this time in history they were widespread, found in Asia Minor, parts of Italy and over most of northern Europe until you came into Germanic areas.

I don't know if anyone knows enough about what was Druidic practice then to assess it; it may well have been human sacrifices, although if memory serves this claim has been challenged.

#20    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,410 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Some of the bog people show evidence of being human sacrifice,  but nothing like what murder the Romans did.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#21    flbrnt

flbrnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

I saw nothing new in the allegation. It has long been known that persecution of Christians were sporadic and localized for the most part, at least until Christians took over. Then Christians went after other Christians with a vengeance.

#22    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,410 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostJinxdom, on 11 March 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

Easy a sacrifice is just killing against somebody who is usually helpless to defend themselves. The coliseum shows courage and prowess of battle and has whole slew of other activities; ok some where quite screwed up but I can't find myself hating it completely. If I had the choice between a death sentence being strapped with no chance to fight back or fighting in an arena. I'd take the arena any given day of the week.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the persecution of early Christians were a tad bit embellished.

Not everybody who died in the Coliseum was handed a sword. If you were condemned you would just be put out to killed by wild animals or burned to death in a reenactment of a myth.  Most gladators didn't live past 10 fights. They won't there by choice, either.

#23    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

Seems like  they all take turn on each other with persecution, when a certain religion becomes more popular. Political and religious power don't mix, it's usually all about the money and power then persecution takes hold, what better way to condone anything  except by it's god's will...

One reason our US forefathers believed in freedom of religion and seperation of politics and religions.  Even in  the French revolution  they had it correct when they became tolerant of religious beliefs and said  First I am French second I am what ever sect or non belief.  

All about freedom of thought and tolerance, which always gets the shaft eventually :(

#24    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,752 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

We have supposedly "historical" accounts of martyrdom, like Polycarp and Justin and about 2000 others.  And the stories fit with Roman history.

We also have accounts of Roman executions, like the crucifixion of about 500 people a day during the seige of Jerusalem and Akiva ben Joseph being flayed alive.  Josephus mentions the crucifixion of one Jesus of Lydda.  These things are known to have happened.  It is quite likely that in at least a few cases, they happened to Christians.

Of course, the Christians got even and then some.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#25    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,850 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 14 March 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

Of course, the Christians got even and then some.
Doug
True enough, such is the way of history.  We become that which we despise.  I am reminded of the famous quote - "if we do not learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it".  It was as true back then as it is now.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#26    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,068 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

True enough, such is the way of history.  We become that which we despise.

How could that be? Christians don't despise their enemies.

Posted Image

#27    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,850 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

View Posteight bits, on 14 March 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

Touche.  I'm sure you knew what I meant, though.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#28    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,752 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Don't bet your life on that.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#29    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

They sure do.

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#30    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,850 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

View PostHavocWing, on 14 March 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

They sure do.
:wacko:

Sorry, late at night, best my body could come up with....

Posted Image

Also tagged with persecuted, romans, jesus, christians

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users