Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Homosexuality Wrong?

Bracket

With such news items as DADT, gay marriage, and gay adoption, i wanted to start a conversation on this because i guess i wanted to understand (though most likely not agree with) the other side of this argument. Simply put, is homosexuality wrong? I don't mean to post this to start controversy, and i hope this doesn't descend into name calling and such. I'm hoping to have an intelligent conversation on the matter. Modern attitudes toward homosexuality have religious, legal, and medical underpinnings. I think we could really have a multi-level conversation on the matter.

Personally, i don't see a problem with it. I have had many friends and some family members who were (and are) gay, and they were excellent additions to society. I just haven't seen any facts that prove it is wrong.

Maybe some facts will help with the conversation. On the topic of gay adoption and parents, the American Psychological Association has done many studies comparing groups of children raised by homosexual and by heterosexual parents, finding no developmental differences between the two groups of children. Many groups claim that homosexuality is "unnatural" because it doesn't lead to the birth of a child, but sexuality in humans isn't just about reproduction, it's also simply done for pleasure. It's a fact that humans, bonobo monkeys, and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure, and homosexuality is seen almost regularly in the other two species. It is actually seen regularly in nature. Infact, male bats have the highest rate of homosexuality of any mammal. And, as an added note, there's no real evidence that it is just a choice.

Homosexuality has also been proven by multiple studies to not be a mental illness, with one psychologist concluding "Homosexuality in and of itself is unrelated to psychological disturbance or maladjustment. Homosexuals as a group are not more psychologically disturbed on account of their homosexuality". I think a quote from Sigmund Freud makes alot of sense. "Homosexuality is assuredly no advantage, but it is nothing to be ashamed of, no vice, no degradation, it cannot be classified as an illness; we consider it to be a variation of the sexual function produced by a certain arrest of sexual development. Many highly respectable individuals of ancient and modern times have been homosexuals, several of the greatest men among them (Plato, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, etc.). It is a great injustice to persecute homosexuality as a crime, and cruelty too..."

So, looking at the facts, i really don't see a problem with the topic. In my opinion, it's not my preference but who am i to be disgusted and hostile toward what somebody does privately in their own bedroom. The only thing i can really understand (yet, once again, don't agree with) is for religious reasons. The interesting thing is that before the High Middle Ages, homosexual acts appear to have been tolerated or ignored by the Christian church throughout Europe. This only changed around the twelfth century. Lets not forget that there are many societies and religions that tolerate, even support, homosexuality.

So, to get back to the question, in case you've forgotten, do you think homosexuality is wrong? And, if you do, why?

(And please don't bring up DADT too much. There's already a thread on that.)

Edited by Bracket

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bracket

• Sakari

• Coffey

• ~TheBigK~

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*snip*

No, I don't believe it is wrong. I can't help how I feel about females just as I cant help how I feel about males. You can't change a heart. ^_^

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
removed redundant quote

No, I don't believe it is wrong. I can't help how I feel about females just as I cant help how I feel about males. You can't change a heart. ^_^

Yes, exactly. It's not like they can help it. It's just a preference.

Edited by Bracket

:tu:

I don't think it's wrong either. There's no reason it should be considered wrong.

:tu:

I don't think it's wrong either. There's no reason it should be considered wrong.

Well, there are people who believe differently. :hmm:

There was a time when I couldn't stand homosexuality, just the thought of two people of the same sexes together made me cringe. As I grew older, though, I began to accept homosexuality much more. And today I take a strong stand in that homosexuality isn't wrong. Looking back, I can't really understand why I found it so wrong. Now, I stand up openly against those who see it as wrong and treat those who are homosexual differently. Love is love no matter who it is. That's my belief anyways.

There was a time when I couldn't stand homosexuality, just the thought of two people of the same sexes together made me cringe. As I grew older, though, I began to accept homosexuality much more. And today I take a strong stand in that homosexuality isn't wrong. Looking back, I can't really understand why I found it so wrong. Now, I stand up openly against those who see it as wrong and treat those who are homosexual differently. Love is love no matter who it is. That's my belief anyways.

Can you possibly remember what made you change your mind? Was there a specific event or did you just get "older and wiser"?

Well, there are people who believe differently. :hmm:

Yeah I know. My cousin is a lesbian and has had death threats from school over it. People need to mind their own business, I've heard people say "god" doesn't approve of homosexuality and that they're not going to get into heaven. If there is a heaven and a god then let them be judged by him when the time comes.

It's wrong to treat them differently, they should have the same rights as everyone else, they're still humans.

I definitely don't think it's wrong or see anything wrong with it. I have 2 gay dads and they are human just like everyone else. I'm bisexual myself. My dad told me he was gay when I was 9 years old and I never thought anything wrong with it. I understood, love is love. There are a lot of gay people in my family and they are great people. There is nothing wrong with homosexuality.

Gay is what it is....happy. As long as it's not over the top camp as anything in my face i have no real problem with it, it's there business at the end of the day.

This is slightly offtopic but is it true that Homosexuality was mental illness until 80s?

Yes, it was classified as a mental illness until the early 80's. But, opinions about it starting changing before that.

There was a time when it was classified as a mental illness.

However it's been apart of humanity since the dawn of time. It was seen as normal to the greeks and romans.. and even celebrated in edo era japan. (Here's a tidbit. St. Augustine was gay.)

So no, there is not one damned thing wrong with homosexuality.

Just to be clear, I don't have problem with Homosexuality: never did - never will personally. But I will tell why some individuals have a problem with it in retrospect.....

It's do to religous influence and tradition. To quote what most religous individuals say, who are dedicated to their beliefs: "It's Adam and Eve,not Adam and Steve!" Statements like this, which you hear often repeated, are the one example of what I'm talking about.

It's a mentality set by traditional beliefs, which therefore believes that all should adhere to this ideolgy. It can only be perceived, by thier way of thinking, as perverse and inmoral because religous doctrine said so. And because it is laid down by a supernal(hellfire)entity, it is set as moral law that must be obeyed.

So despite whether the individuals love one another, it is still wrong by religous moral code and the hellfire entity. Feelings, apparently, have no importance in today's religions.

This from a philosophical approach, is the only way I can understand the reasoning behind it all.

Maybe for you to? Yes, No?

Yes, it was classified as a mental illness until the early 80's. But, opinions about it starting changing before that.

Does anyone knows what was the trigger to move homosexuality as a mental illness from encyclopedia?

Does anyone knows what was the trigger to move homosexuality as a mental illness from encyclopedia?

Studies simply showed that it wasn't a mental illness.

Do you have something to say about homosexuality? :huh:

Studies simply showed that it wasn't a mental illness.

Do you have something to say about homosexuality? :huh:

No I dont. I wonder what was the main reason to move that from the encyclopedia. What was the trigger? Thats all.

Studies?! What studies? Thats intrigues me. Who wrote them? When? Who was doing research? Based on what document "homosexuality as a mental illness" was moved from encyclopedia?

No I dont. I wonder what was the main reason to move that from the encyclopedia. What was the trigger? Thats all.

Studies?! What studies? Thats intrigues me. Who wrote them? When? Who was doing research? Based on what document "homosexuality as a mental illness" was moved from encyclopedia?

There are many. Atleast one was even done by the U.S. military.

Edited by Bracket

There are many. Atleast one was even done by the U.S. military.

Dont think that I have something against you or against homosexuality but I would like to know few of them, esepecially those who were triggers to move homosexuality as mental illness from books.

how can anyone possibly have a plausable argument as to a person's sexual preference and inclinations to be considered wrong............^_^

I cannot assign any sort of 'rightness' or 'wrongness' to homosexuality with the exception of a couple of provisos..

Firstly - that the 'lunatic fringe' of both camps leave my family and I out of it. (We don't have as much of the anti- and pro- gay militancy here in the UK - but it's there.)

Secondly - that the 'gay' tag is not used to reinforce a person's status as a victim, such as is seen so often with racial issues. "You're victimising me because I'm ..... etc."

Apart from that...Let 'em get on with it, I say!

s1709.gif

It is wrong according to the Jewish and Christian Bible, but since I'm a Deist I don't follow any of those revealed religions based on ancient writings. As far as I can tell, it has existed everywhere in the world, in every culture, no matter what terms were used to describe it--although the word "homosexuality" itself is a modern term first coined in the 19th Century.

From my point of view, I have no problem with what consenting adults do in the bedroom, and cannot even see why that should bother anyone else or society as a whole. If the Right-wing really wants to turn back the clock to the past when homosexuality was punished by death, then let them also restore the death penalty for adultery and flogging for "fornication" outside of marriage. Let them restore the death penalty for whites and non-whites who had sexual relations, and go back to a society based on arranged marriages with no divorce in which women and children were the property of husbands and fathers--as paterfamilias of the household.

That's what society was really like up to the 17th and 18th Centuries, even in the most "advanced" countries of teh time, although I don't see that anyone seriously wants to turn back the clock THAT far. It couldn't be done anyway unless they also want to reapeat the Industrial Revolution, the French and American Revolutions, and so on.

For that matter, if they really want to roll back the clock to a time when Biblical morality was enforced by law, then what they really need is an established church to which everyone is required to belong and pay 10% of their income to, with attendance on Sunday mandatory and not a matter of personal choice. Good luck getting everyone to agree on which church that should be, since many wars have been fought over which religion was the "true one" before people finally just agreed to disagree.