Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Facebook rant lands US man in UAE jail

Still Waters

An expat American has been arrested in the United Arab Emirates for comments he posted on Facebook while in the US.

Helicopter mechanic Ryan Pate wrote the Facebook post while in Florida after arguing with employer Global Aerospace Logistics (Gal) over sick leave.

On returning to Abu Dhabi from Florida, he was arrested for breaking the country's strict cyber-slander laws.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-31692914

This is why you don't post stuff publically, or to an audience who might not have your best interests at heart, screen shot your posts, and turn you in!

• Like 1

This is why you don't post stuff publically, or to an audience who might not have your best interests at heart, screen shot your posts, and turn you in!

Lol. Stated in a public post.

I'm adding this to my growing list why I no longer do Facebook.

Absolutely agree. I give the man credit for admitting he let his emotions get the best of him but this was a really dumb thing to do.

I don't know why more people do not use fake names. Its really not difficult to pull off on facebook. Oh well.

Absolutely agree. I give the man credit for admitting he let his emotions get the best of him but this was a really dumb thing to do.

I don't know why more people do not use fake names. Its really not difficult to pull off on facebook. Oh well.

I use Facebook liberally. It's locked down tighter than a drum. Nothing gets posted publically that I don't want public. And, not everyone sees all my posts either. For example, I have a whole groups of people I work with, who NEVER see any of my social posts. Not even my best friend who I work with! No once can get my friends list even.

Using a fake name isn't as easy as you might think. I have several friends who have tried, but since they aren't careful about the people they friend, or the things they say and when someone gets mad, they get reported for having a fake name. LOL.

Then there's another friend of mine who many years ago legally changed him name to something fairly comical and comic-like. Facebook INSISTS it's not his real name and locked him out of his account. He's having to send them copies of his drivers license et al. It's stupid. LOL.

I use Facebook liberally. It's locked down tighter than a drum. Nothing gets posted publically that I don't want public. And, not everyone sees all my posts either. For example, I have a whole groups of people I work with, who NEVER see any of my social posts. Not even my best friend who I work with! No once can get my friends list even.

Using a fake name isn't as easy as you might think. I have several friends who have tried, but since they aren't careful about the people they friend, or the things they say and when someone gets mad, they get reported for having a fake name. LOL.

Then there's another friend of mine who many years ago legally changed him name to something fairly comical and comic-like. Facebook INSISTS it's not his real name and locked him out of his account. He's having to send them copies of his drivers license et al. It's stupid. LOL.

I never had a problem with using fake names on FB but then again, I'm only there for keeping up with all the bands I'm a fan of. In fact, I only have 1 friend. :lol:

This is probably why I have no problems with FB.