Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Mars water surprise in Curiosity sample

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    bruce fiction

bruce fiction

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

Didn't they find Water on Mars When Bill Clinton Was president?

#17    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

with the increase of private companies partaking in space explorations, i can't wait to quench my thirst on the upcoming "RED PLANET-bottled (only 23654639, 95$ / liter)".... :tu:

#18    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,912 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

View Postbruce fiction, on 30 September 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

Didn't they find Water on Mars When Bill Clinton Was president?
No, that was a Martian meteorite called Alan Hills 84001 (ALH 84001) which was believed to have fossils of tiny bacteria (much smaller than terrestrial bacteria).

Most experts now believe these "fossils" are geological not biological in origin.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#19    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:26 AM

God, what happened to that planet! ... I am sure it was once abundant in life....

Edited by qxcontinuum, 01 October 2013 - 01:27 AM.

#20    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:48 AM

If there is water in the soil, even "locked up," it would not surprise me to find microorganisms on Mars that have adapted to the conditions there and can exploit the source. We have algae on earth that has been found inside translucent rocks in Antarctica where there is no liquid water. This would seem to bump up the chances for life greatly.

#21    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,912 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostSundew, on 01 October 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

This would seem to bump up the chances for life greatly.
Nope, this doesn't improve the chances of life one iota.

This water is chemically bonded to the soil. Unless there is a life form which can heat soil to several hundred degrees without damaging itself in the process and then capture the water vapour given off then this source of water is unusable. There is only one known life form that could use this water and we are it.

There are other potential sources of water on Mars. There is still the possibility of life, but this is not not a discovery that improves the chances of finding it. It IS a discovery that improves our chances of surviving on Mars.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#22    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,578 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Indeed  Waspie Looks Like ITs going to be delayed for a bit now That NASA is Shutt down. Sad day for thousands of those fine people ! Water Rule we need to Keep Looking. :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#23    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,011 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

View Postdiablo_04, on 29 September 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

Is it me or i have read the same headline for at least one or two years "water found on mars" , almost every month I read the same headline.
Its not a news anymore, its time to move on!

I realize that you and a few others around here who get their science off of the History Channel (Colorado Stone anyone) might not understand that this is exactly how science is done.  A discovery is made.  It is written up in a paper.  It is then submitted to a peer-reviewed journal.  It is then accepted.  That journal then publishes the paper.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#24    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,578 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:33 AM

Oh ! My !
just had too ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#25    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Yea, every now and then NASA lets bits and pieces out.... water on the moon, water on mars. They know other probes are eventually coming, so don't want to look like dumbos in the eyes of the international community when other nations eventually discover these things..

#26    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,212 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 03 October 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

... so don't want to look like dumbos in the eyes of the international community when other nations eventually discover these things..

Uh...what other countries (other than the USA) have probes on Mars discovering things?

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#27    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,912 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

View PostLilly, on 04 October 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

Uh...what other countries (other than the USA) have probes on Mars discovering things?
Actually that is the only part of Zeta Reticulum's nonsensical drivel that is true. ESA (in conjunction with the Russians) will be launching a rover to Mars in 2018.

Mind you ESA have also been operating an orbiter around Mars since Christmas 2003. Any bets as to whose findings it confirms, NASA's or Zeta Reticulum's? (I'll give you a big clue, it's not Zeta Reticulum).

Posted Image
Click on button

#28    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

View PostLilly, on 04 October 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

Uh.. my post says eventually coming

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users