Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 4 votes

More NASA UFO's?

ufo nasa

• Please log in to reply
1528 replies to this topic

Poll: Are these UFO's? (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Do these videos contain images of UFO's?

1. Yes (22 votes [43.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.14%

2. No (29 votes [56.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1471    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

View Postsynchronomy, on 21 November 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

It amazes me that so called (self-professed) experts get away with crap like this.
There is an abundance of hustlers, cheats, and conmen associated with UFO's, conspiracy theories, and black-ops myths.
And when I say abundance, I mean that the vast majority of them are lying just to make cash.
They are even permitted to publish their books as "non-fiction".
As long as the subject is dominated by twits like this perpetuating and creating falsehoods, we will never be able to determine the truth in anything.
Just take a look at the Hoagland video I submitted a few posts back.  He claims there are huge structures built within the rings of Saturn.  He even says that due to the low gravity environment, "they could be built using spaghetti".
And the audience sits there silently taking it all in as facts.
It makes me sick.

I think that most of the people who buy into this obvious nonsense have a fantasy prone personality.

Fantasy prone personality (FPP) is a disposition or personality trait in which a person experiences a lifelong extensive and deep involvement in fantasy.[1] This disposition is an attempt, at least in part, to better describe the popular term "overactive imagination".[2] An individual with this trait (termed a fantasizer) may have difficulty differentiating between fantasy and reality and may experience hallucinations, as well as self-suggested psychosomatic symptoms. Three closely related psychological constructs are daydreaming, absorption and eidetic memory.

Wilson and Barber also put forth 14 characteristics in their 1981 study. They require having six or more of these traits to be characterised as "fantasy prone." These are:
  • excellent hypnotic subject
  • having imaginary friends as child
  • fantasizing often as child
  • having an actual fantasy identity
  • experiencing imagined sensations as real
  • having vivid sensory perceptions
  • reliving past experiences
  • claiming psychic powers
  • having out-of-body experiences
  • receiving information from higher powers, spirits, intelligences
  • involved in "healing"
  • encountered apparitions
  • hypnogogic hallucinations (waking dreams)
  • seeing hypnogogic hallucinations (ghosts, aliens, etc.)[8]

Subsequent studies have recorded additional potential features:
  • claiming to have been abducted by aliens
  • believes they can receive sexual satisfaction without any stimulation
  • believes they have mystical healing and can do great things[9]

http://en.wikipedia....one_personality

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#1472    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,258 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

View Postquillius, on 21 November 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

Hey Psyche,

I did post the link in a previous post :)
anyhow here it is again  http://www.enterpris...com/dtran4.html

I think Edgar deals with Hoagland very well throughout and shows that Edgar is not easily fooled in and that he is careful with his words...

Thanks mate. I found it myself, but I like links with your posts as they are always very much worth the read I find.

I agree, I thought Dr Mitchell held his own very well. Much better than the Bill Nye interview IMHO.

View Postquillius, on 21 November 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

yes I agree, its what I am trying to say. He finishes interview with Kerrang.......then did the producer phone NASA and ask for confirmation? confirmation of what? Edgar doesnt say anything about NASA involvement or cover up so how and why did the producer decide to call NASA?

if he really did that is, but it does make sense as to why NASA made any sort of statement following the interview.

Surely NASA's involvement is due to the large number of assumptions made in error about the Source of Edgar's information. As per the many links MacGuffin left, reporters are more than willing to take that leap and make the link to NASA themselves. We can see ourselves that many posters were under the impression that Edgar implicated NASA when he had not.

View Postquillius, on 21 November 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

no I dont think Edgar thought that, however I did take his response as if you are correct in what you say then yes it is interesting use of language....however as Jim pointed out, the contextual key parts were removed to create his point...very naughty indeed. And no I dont give him an ounce of credence  but will check most things out before dismissing them....maybe once I am twenty years into the study I may make more 'rash' evaluations on things said by certain people.

As opposed to 20 or more years of UFO chasing, my interest in astronomy negates Hoagland's claims at face value. They make absolutely no sense, and I suspect that 99.9% of astronomers would be able to do little more than chuckle at Hoagland's suggestions.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#1473    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,600 posts

• space debris, decided to evolve and become us!

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 21 November 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

I think that most of the people who buy into this obvious nonsense have a fantasy prone personality.

i wonder how precise memory recall (photographic memory) could lead to fantasizing... :unsure2:

#1474    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,743 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 21 November 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

And what's wrong with any of those, i ask?
Particularly when we come to the supplementary characterististics.:
:innocent:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#1475    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

View Post747400, on 22 November 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

And what's wrong with any of those, i ask?
Particularly when we come to the supplementary characterististics.:
:innocent:

I never said anything was wrong with any of those characteristics individually. When a person exhibits several of them (6 or more according to the Wilson and Barber study) then it can become a detriment. With the recent invasion of UFOlogy by the new agers who rather vocally promote many of the characteristics listed, it seems that FPP could be a relatively large percentage of UFOlogy. They would be the ones most likely to believe the Sitchins and Hoaglands of the world in my opinion.

Edited by Slave2Fate, 22 November 2012 - 11:12 AM.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#1476    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,524 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 22 November 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

....my interest in astronomy negates Hoagland's claims at face value. They make absolutely no sense, and I suspect that 99.9% of astronomers would be able to do little more than chuckle at Hoagland's suggestions.

Oh, I think most astronomers do more than chuckle at Mr. Hoagland. I suspect comments like, "What a load of BS" are fairly common.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#1477    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,107 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostLilly, on 22 November 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

Oh, I think most astronomers do more than chuckle at Mr. Hoagland. I suspect comments like, "What a load of BS" are fairly common.

Frankly, I don't even think that "most astronomers" give Mr. Hoagland so much attention as to even bother....

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#1478    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 4,982 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 22 November 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

Thanks mate. I found it myself, but I like links with your posts as they are always very much worth the read I find.

I agree, I thought Dr Mitchell held his own very well. Much better than the Bill Nye interview IMHO.

Surely NASA's involvement is due to the large number of assumptions made in error about the Source of Edgar's information. As per the many links MacGuffin left, reporters are more than willing to take that leap and make the link to NASA themselves. We can see ourselves that many posters were under the impression that Edgar implicated NASA when he had not.

As opposed to 20 or more years of UFO chasing, my interest in astronomy negates Hoagland's claims at face value. They make absolutely no sense, and I suspect that 99.9% of astronomers would be able to do little more than chuckle at Hoagland's suggestions.

Well yes, NASA seem to have only responded to a question posed by the producer of the Kerrang radio show. I can only see this part that would have him involve NASA:

Margerrison:  DO YOU THINK OTHER PEOPLE WHO WERE INVOLVED WITH THE MOON LANDINGS KNOW ABOUT THIS?
Mitchell:  Some of them do. But again, like other people, if you are interested enough to dig into it and want to know about it, you can know about it.

I can picture the call to NASA now....''we have just interviewed Edgar Mitchell who has claimed that alien contact is real and there has been a cover up''. NASA then put out a statement that they do not agree with Edgars 'opinion on this and have no knowledge about UFO's....

from here the press spiraled out of control and this whole episode now read as Mitchell says ET is real and that NASA and the Government have been covering it up.....NASA denies allegations...

(these reporters are indeed lazy at best dishonest at worst....(reminds me of a reporter called Joe :) )

of course the bottom line is that he may have meant people from NASA when he mentions moon landings however he quite clearly says this is not the case in the later interviews....

(although I admit to being one of those thinking that he did 'loosly implicate people at NASA.....I was obviously wrong so Boon was right not to accept the compromise offered :) )

#1479    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,600 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

STS077-301-1....

Posted Image

:D

Edited by mcrom901, 22 November 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#1480    John Wesley Boyd

John Wesley Boyd

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

• "A reverence for life does not require a man to respect Nature's obvious mistakes." Robert Heinlein

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Wow. 2012, and all we still get are blurry blotches and points of light for pictures, and over fertile imaginations to determine what they are. Are they satellites, orbital debris, Marley's Ghost, or Elites flying Covenant scout ships? Since we can only reference our imaginations, they can be anything!

"I wonder how harmless such people are? To what extent civilization is retarded by the laughing jackasses, the empty-minded belittlers?"  Robert Heinlein from Have Spacesuit--Will Travel.

#1481    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,600 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

View Posthammerclaw, on 22 November 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

all we still get are blurry blotches and points of light for pictures,

Posted Image

#1482    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 4,982 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

View Postmcrom901, on 22 November 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

Posted Image

Flares maybe?

#1483    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,600 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

View Postquillius, on 22 November 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Flares maybe?

hiya quillius... i was havin a bit of fun there... are u referring to the sts77 pic i posted above?

i dunno what it is... could be.debris *cough* blackops... :clap:

Posted Image

http://www.abovetops...hread470427/pg1

#1484    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

View Posthammerclaw, on 22 November 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

Wow. 2012, and all we still get are blurry blotches and points of light for pictures, and over fertile imaginations to determine what they are. Are they satellites, orbital debris, Marley's Ghost, or Elites flying Covenant scout ships? Since we can only reference our imaginations, they can be anything!

There are a number of reports that are unidentified and in fact cannot be identified as anything, yet they exist just the same.  Jeff Challender found many of them on teh space shuttle missions as well.

#1485    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 4,982 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

View Postmcrom901, on 22 November 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

hiya quillius... i was havin a bit of fun there... are u referring to the sts77 pic i posted above?

i dunno what it is... could be.debris *cough* blackops... :clap:

http://www.abovetops...hread470427/pg1

no I was meaning the Prometheus trailer....just trying to be a little sarcastic and humorous (obviously failing miserably)

as for the sts pics..........ever considered the blackops on ufo type craft being named 'debris' wouldnt that be interesting?

Edited by quillius, 22 November 2012 - 05:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users