Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Applicants wanted for one-way ticket to Mars.

mars settlers

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#31    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Can we sign other people up?  :devil:  :D

Edited by WoIverine, 17 April 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#32    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,025 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

View Postseeder, on 17 April 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

from the article:

"The apparatus which recycles human waste and turns "yesterday's coffee into into tomorrow's coffee needs frequent maintenance and would likely not survive years of continuous duty on Mars", he says"

Not good then, you need to have better equipment or different systems to fall back on. I think the story is sensationalism... I cant believe any govt would let people go on a - literally - one way suicide mission
I don't think Govt. should have anything to do with what any of its citizens might choose to do. Besides, imagine the honour there'd be at being the first nation whose citizens set foot on an actual foreign Planet.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#33    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,167 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 17 April 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

I don't think Govt. should have anything to do with what any of its citizens might choose to do. Besides, imagine the honour there'd be at being the first nation whose citizens set foot on an actual foreign Planet.

But the applications are from all nations, so which nation exactly shall celebrate?

And see what happens when people protest! The citizens want to do that, then they get corralled, sprayed with gas, beaten, jailed!  But I DO agree, we shouldn't be treated in that way and we should be able to explore space.... but to possibly contaminate another planet as well? I dunno, the people going just cannot be assured of any life worth living....or even, living for very long. Remember this is for a TV show....  (a bit like the Running Man was too - Arnies version of course)

What great TV viewing (and ratings= earnings) to see our fellow man on webcam going slowly insane, starving, crying, asking for help they cant ever get, doing crazy stuff, and then dying

If it had a breathable atmosphere that might be a positive...

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#34    Geladius

Geladius

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

Mars shall be free from the Earth Dominion forces!...or am I too early for that?

Edited by Geladius, 17 April 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#35    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

For me it would depend upon who they are sending if its a bunch of loud mouthed extremist groups, religious nutters etc etc then "No". If its nice wholesome people who aren't full of hang-ups then yes.  :alien:

#36    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

Why would anyone want to go?... according to most on here its just rocks and clay up there. Curiosity has suggested that. If you discovered anything weird, it would just be debunked by all and sundry.

#37    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

From the OP link:

Future explorers take note. Applicants must be resilient, adaptable, resourceful and must work well within a team. The whole project will be televised, from the reality TV style selection process, to landing and beyond.

Most people are NOT going to meet those requirements. Adaptable alone kicks out half the human race, and resourceful most of the rest....

I'd go if I was single, younger and had no prospects... and if the concept had already been proven.

Anyway, appently they will be sending people up and over (one way) in 2 year cycles, so if you don't go on the first wave, there is always the second and third trips.

Once they get there, I wonder what will prevent them from refueling (probably with ice) and heading back? Is the ship set to land and not be able to take off again??

It's to be a Reality Show, but I think that I may only watch the first bit. Who cares what is happening to them as they lay around traveling for 8 months?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#38    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

Send all my worst enemies to Mars on  one way trips, Like the idea. if  micro meteors don't hole the ship and take them out on the way they will never get back to bother me again. living in space suits for the rest of their lives and being slaves to the moneyed few who will not work.... sounds good to me.  X lady friends/wives/bosses/politicians..... where do they sign up at

I know at least three I would signup right now if I thought I could get away with it.

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 18 April 2013 - 12:29 AM.

#39    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,775 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

I want to go ,And by myself ! That way nobody will believe that I did it !

This is a Work in Progress!

#40    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:44 AM

i wanta go this world we live in on earth is starting to suck  like ahorny spider monkey humping your leg

#41    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

This is how the progress is made... by pushing it.. not by passive exploration.. They have a well thought plan i dont know how funding is going so far but i guess they met the demands...

Damn i love such news!

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#42    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,025 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

View Postseeder, on 17 April 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

But the applications are from all nations, so which nation exactly shall celebrate?

And see what happens when people protest! The citizens want to do that, then they get corralled, sprayed with gas, beaten, jailed! But I DO agree, we shouldn't be treated in that way and we should be able to explore space.... but to possibly contaminate another planet as well? I dunno, the people going just cannot be assured of any life worth living....or even, living for very long. Remember this is for a TV show.... (a bit like the Running Man was too - Arnies version of course)

What great TV viewing (and ratings= earnings) to see our fellow man on webcam going slowly insane, starving, crying, asking for help they cant ever get, doing crazy stuff, and then dying

If it had a breathable atmosphere that might be a positive...
But you were saying that I can't believe any govt would let people go on a - literally - one way suicide mission. I was asking why it should be the business of any Government to prevent anyone from doing so, if it was their own free will? I don't know what complaining about governments brutally assaulting anyone who protests has to do with it?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#43    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 18 April 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

I want to go ,And by myself ! That way nobody will believe that I did it !
but dude .... you may well be eaten.... its plausible !

#44    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

Can we collect and book a couple of our conspiracy troothers on that flight?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#45    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

We should send Chuck Norris first,... then all the bad guys.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Also tagged with mars, settlers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users