Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shadow people

hippi

Just wondering what people's perceptions are of what is a typical phantom. I use the word phantom here in the broad sense of the word to include any kind of ghost, apparition, goblin, spirit, orb, shadow or anything that does not appear to be part of the physical world.

Most of my life, my impression of ghosts was always of something that sort of glowed, and was either cloud shaped, or had the appearance of a person. Since joining UM, however, my impression is that most sightings of these phantoms are of the shadow people variety. Would you say that the shadow person is the typical phantom?

:sleepy::wacko::alien::geek::rolleyes:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Barek Halfhand

• MasterPo

• rhyknow

• Twisted_Dragon

There are a lot of different opinions on shadow people. I myself would say that they aren't and never have been human but that's just me

Just wondering what people's perceptions are of what is a typical phantom. I use the word phantom here in the broad sense of the word to include any kind of ghost, apparition, goblin, spirit, orb, shadow or anything that does not appear to be part of the physical world.

Most of my life, my impression of ghosts was always of something that sort of glowed, and was either cloud shaped, or had the appearance of a person. Since joining UM, however, my impression is that most sightings of these phantoms are of the shadow people variety. Would you say that the shadow person is the typical phantom?

:sleepy::wacko::alien::geek::rolleyes:

good point !

some of them are rather lack luster indeed.....the ghosts seem to be a projected(residual) image that is more visible at some times that others....with the enities or spirits of the "dark" nature it seems the the less light the better......B :geek:

There are a lot of different opinions on shadow people. I myself would say that they aren't and never have been human but that's just me

Where do you think they come from?

I agree. The study of shadows (aka shadow entites, shadow people, shadow apparitions etc) is a field unto itself.

So many theories. From ghosts to aliens to being the source of the MIB (Men In Black) phenomena.

Recently my group was at a presentation by Rosemary Ellen Guiley who's for years has been studying shadows and surveying people's shadow encounters. Below is a summary of what she said on the subject:

Most shadow entities appear while a person is asleep, or about to fall asleep/wake up.

They usually enter a room (or building) through a door way but have been seen coming right through solid walls.

Encounters can be occasional or throughout a person's life time. Sometimes they seem to "follow" a family from one generation to another.

Encounters can start when people move to a new location. They sometimes are seen lurking in woods and undeveloped areas around buildings.

The most commonly reported physical characteristics of a shadow are:

Tall 5-6 feet, sometimes 7 feet

Male in appearance

Dark and slim

Very black - "Blacker than black"

Looks like they are wearing a long black trench coat and a large brimmed hat

They appear to be 3-dimensional, opaque and seem to have physical mass

No eyes

Silent - they make no noise as they move but movement is clearly known

They react when their presence is noticed, usually moving away very quickly

They don't seem to obey common physical laws - can move through walls, unnaturally fast movement, can appear or vanish instantly.

People often feel a sinister or mischievous feeling when they are encountered.

Direct verbal communication is rare but some kind of thought-level communication sometimes appears to be occurring.

Pets often react very negatively to them and places they have been

They seem to "invade" your personal space

She described 6 sub-categories of shadows:

Sentinels - They stand in corners/edges and just watch us

Lurkers - They move through an area, often the same path over and over.

Predators - They seem to want to invoke intense fear/terror. Physical attack is sometimes reported.

Visitors - Groups of shadows. Often described as appearing other worldly.

MTB - Minding Their own Business, similar to Lurkers they seem not to notice us as they move through an area.

Omens - Often appear just before a bad luck event or death happens. Often follow a person or entire family for generations.

Haunters - Are associated with accepted haunted locations

Possible explanations for shadows include:

Ghosts/spirits

Shape Shifters

"Old Hag" legends

Thought Forms - beings that are formed out of our subconscious thought (like in the old movie "Forbidden Planet" with Walter Pigeon).

Ultraterrestrial beings - "Moth Man"

Extraterrertrial beings - May be related to the M.I.B. (Men In Black) reports

Things people can do to try to rid themselves of a shadow haunting:

Prayer

Spiritual cleansing

Mediate for emotional harmony

Change your environment

Sleep with the lights on (they rarely show during the day or in the light)

I would disagree with some points, firstly I don't personally count SP type shadows as paranormal, that's just my opinion.... I've seen various shadow energies range in size from figure shapes to energy masses (large and small) to animal shaped (cat) I know that the cat spirit is a spirit, it just has a weak energy.... I think often some shadow energies are just low energy spirit energies....

These are her conclusions based on accumulating and summarizing hundreds/thousands of reported shadow encounters. Animal-like shadows have been reported but the whole concept of animal ghosts/spirits is questionable in general (it's been discussed here a lot).

Her main point was that shadows appear to be humanoid forms but are not the common ghost/spirit entity otherwise countered. The key factor was that shadows appear to be trying very hard to elicit a deep fear/terror response in us. Why is unknown.

There could be various reasons why the majorty report a fear/terror response. Shadows without a doubt do seem to be the most common and experienced. Could it possibly be it's the persons reaction of seeing something unknown rather than it being the cause of the fear? It's a hard thing to measure.

Also if her summary is based on collections that include SP shadow related experiences, then these will account for a high percentage of fear/terror....Fear/terror pretty much goes hand in hand with any SP episode..... I just feel that SP related shadow experiences should not be put in the same boat as the rest (if this was the case)

knowledge of some is not accountable for all -

i see "shades" in bright sunlight--while outside working around my place...

totally non-threatening- less chaotic than spirits..

all shorter than me-i have always known them-

i could be their shadow.....

Well, it seems that the "shadow people" have taken over the conversation with little regard to the initial topic posed, "what people's perceptions are of what is a typical phantom." Well, in general, people would probably say that "phantoms" and "ghosts" are not necessarily one in the same. Ghosts tend to be associated with lights, and human form. As a result, it is generally regarded that they are human spirits. Phantoms, on the other hand, always have that pesky dark connotation to them. They are more often associated with being evil or mischevious, and, in most cases, probably inhuman. In this regard, the concept of "shadow people" tends to fit in nicely with the concept of phantom, moreso than a ghost would. The most common form of phantom, however, is, of course, the imagination. ^_^

Well, it seems that the "shadow people" have taken over the conversation with little regard to the initial topic posed, "what people's perceptions are of what is a typical phantom."

Would you say that the shadow person is the typical phantom?

none veered off topic...

Predators - They seem to want to invoke intense fear/terror. Physical attack is sometimes reported.

MTB - Minding Their own Business, similar to Lurkers they seem not to notice us as they move through an area.

Omens - Often appear just before a bad luck event or death happens. Often follow a person or entire family for generations.

Ghosts/spirits

Shape Shifters

"Old Hag" legends

Thought Forms - beings that are formed out of our subconscious thought (like in the old movie "Forbidden Planet" with Walter Pigeon).

I would change one thing:....omens to omens/demons.......B

Where do you think they come from?

Personally I think they are entities from the lower Astral Plane, which I guess you could call Hell. That doesn't necessarily make them bad, just beings without essence

none veered off topic...

There was a lot of discussion as to shadow people in and of themselves, but little in regards to them as being generalized phantoms is all I meant.

you can call them shadows, phantoms, demons,omens, dark entities, shadow people, shadow entities, mustard genies, dark men ,shadow men,full torso'd floating apparitions, ectoplasmic amorphic masses.... whatever! ....BUT there is no calling them non exsistant anymore....the evidence is overwhelming at this point.......B

halfhandshuffle:ramones-psycho therapy

Edited by Barek Halfhand

you can call them shadows, phantoms, demons,omens, dark entities, shadow people, shadow entities, mustard genies, dark men ,shadow men,full torso'd floating apparitions, ectoplasmic amorphic masses.... whatever! ....BUT there is no calling them non exsistant anymore....the evidence is overwhelming at this point.......B

What overwhelming evidence would that be?

Other than a couple of blurry photos and videos it's mainly personal reports. Same with UFO's, Big Foot etc.

Definately enough IMO to be worthy of further study. But hardly overwhelming evidence of their existance.

What overwhelming evidence would that be?

Other than a couple of blurry photos and videos it's mainly personal reports. Same with UFO's, Big Foot etc.

Definately enough IMO to be worthy of further study. But hardly overwhelming evidence of their existance.

the reports roll in every day, I cannot believe this is some contemporary form of mass hysteria, now let me re-phrase my statement to read: there is sufficient evidence to warrent further investigation... but there is no denying that anyone who has consistantly read this forum over the last three months (Gods know how much longer) has seen reports of the same phenomena world wide,from all walks of life, heck the Long Island paranormal research group you quoted even broke them down into sub catagories for me! :D are they CHUDD or some type of inter dimensional beings? ...only time will tell ....but tell it WILL......B

halfhandshuffle:eurythmics-love is stranger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLwy2QuVOUE

Edited by Barek Halfhand

I agree. The study of shadows (aka shadow entites, shadow people, shadow apparitions etc) is a field unto itself.

So many theories. From ghosts to aliens to being the source of the MIB (Men In Black) phenomena.

Recently my group was at a presentation by Rosemary Ellen Guiley who's for years has been studying shadows and surveying people's shadow encounters. Below is a summary of what she said on the subject:

Most shadow entities appear while a person is asleep, or about to fall asleep/wake up.

They usually enter a room (or building) through a door way but have been seen coming right through solid walls.

Encounters can be occasional or throughout a person's life time. Sometimes they seem to "follow" a family from one generation to another.

Encounters can start when people move to a new location. They sometimes are seen lurking in woods and undeveloped areas around buildings.

The most commonly reported physical characteristics of a shadow are:

Tall 5-6 feet, sometimes 7 feet

Male in appearance

Dark and slim

Very black - "Blacker than black"

Looks like they are wearing a long black trench coat and a large brimmed hat

They appear to be 3-dimensional, opaque and seem to have physical mass

No eyes

Silent - they make no noise as they move but movement is clearly known

They react when their presence is noticed, usually moving away very quickly

They don't seem to obey common physical laws - can move through walls, unnaturally fast movement, can appear or vanish instantly.

People often feel a sinister or mischievous feeling when they are encountered.

Direct verbal communication is rare but some kind of thought-level communication sometimes appears to be occurring.

Pets often react very negatively to them and places they have been

They seem to "invade" your personal space

Ghosts/spirits

Shape Shifters

"Old Hag" legends

Well I see them quite frequently, but I am not about to fall asleep nor am I anywhere near my bed, lol. I work nights and see them all the time at work, but then I already know that this place is haunted by a man I once actually got to see him as something besides a shadow figure. But I have never felt any feelings of negativity or evil from them, nor have I sensed any communication. As for their attire, I have never been able to distinguish any form of clothing they are just an indistinct black shape that moves quickly when spotted.

Anything that occurs while laying in bed, has to be suspect, sorry but dreams can be so very vivid (I know I have some rip snorters myself, lol) you can't be absolutely 100% sure that it wasn't a dream that seemed to be real.