Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unbelief, the world’s third-largest religion

Still Waters

A new report on global religious identity shows that while Christians and Muslims make up the two largest groups, those with no religious affiliation — including atheists and agnostics — are now the third-largest “religious” group in the world.

http://www.washingto...05a7_story.html

The days are gone when gods were 'necessary'. No longer do we need them as scapegoats for ill-fortune, plague, crop failure and just plain bad luck. The threat of eternal damnation no longer has the power to keep most of the flock in line and ensure a 'Right Hand of God' seat to watch the 'unrighteous' suffer eternity in the flames of hell.

I wonder how many of those questioned replied "I think there must be something 'up there' but I don't believe in organized religion."? And were they counted as 'unbelievers'?

• Like 3

Those who are interested in this aspect of the report may also be interested in the exisitng thread on the report as a whole,

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=239529

which also includes direct links to the report, and value-added query features hosted by Pew.

Is it any wonder, seeing how the Churches of the world only seem to be interested in bickering about silly, pointless issues and give the impression that all they want to promote is God as a vindictive monster who hates just about everybody, really.

Edited by 747400
  • Like 3

Those who claim their unbelief is not a religion, they are kidding themselves because their unbelief is also built on the foundations of faith, ie they have faith in the belief that there is no god, because it cannot be proven definitively, their whole belief of unbelief is faith based just like a believers. Lol, the irony is sweet!

Those who claim their unbelief is not a religion, they are kidding themselves because their unbelief is also built on the foundations of faith, ie they have faith in the belief that there is no god, because it cannot be proven definitively, their whole belief of unbelief is faith based just like a believers. Lol, the irony is sweet!

It's not a religion, religion is based upon "god" existing and being the center of the universe (figuratively speaking).

• Like 2

If atheism is a religion, then NOT collecting stamps, is a hobby!

• Like 8

Apathy. The global pandemic.

• Like 1

It's not a religion, religion is based upon "god" existing and being the center of the universe (figuratively speaking).

In religion god is central figure and centre of existence, in atheism it is the self who is god and centre of their existence. Nothing different really. Their belief in no god is based on faith, so atheism is a religion based on unbelief in god and one requires faith for it too, scientist are the cleric and clergy, what they say is gospel ;)

Edited by Lion6969

Just because one doesn't believe in the psycho abrahamic god, doesn't mean athiests place themselves at the center of the universe. Belief (or un-belief) in something doesn't make it faith or religion.

• Like 1

In religion god is central figure and centre of existence, in atheism it is the self who is god and centre of their existence. Nothing different really.

That's a whopper of a strawman you've built yourself there.

wigtown_Wicker_Man.jpg

• Like 7

No faith makes a religion and your unbelief is entirely based on faith :)

Nor did say believe in Abrahamic god, I said those with unbelief remove god from the centre to replace it with themselves. The religion if atheism centres on the individual and was derived from philosophical foundations such as atomism!

a few stories are decent

That's a whopper of a strawman you've built yourself there.

wigtown_Wicker_Man.jpg

If god is at the centre if religious people lives then logically it follows that unbelief replaces him with one self, it's not gonna be another deity is it? It's yourself who is god and becomes central in the universe. Ie individualism, atomism abd atheism!

If god is at the centre if religious people lives then logically it follows that unbelief replaces him with one self, it's not gonna be another deity is it? It's yourself who is god and becomes central in the universe. Ie individualism, atomism abd atheism!

Why does one have to believe only in one thing??? Has humanity become so narrow minded that the only way to be accepted is just to choose one thing and side against everything else???

I believe in balance, that I am equal to everyone else and they are equal to me. I try not to place myself at the center no more than I would anyone else.

• Like 1

Why does one have to believe only in one thing??? Has humanity become so narrow minded that the only way to be accepted is just to choose one thing and side against everything else???

You reach a fork in the road, one path leads east, the other leads west. How then is it possible for you to take both paths simultaneously?

At some point, someone has to chose.

You reach a fork in the road, one path leads east, the other leads west. How then is it possible for you to take both paths simultaneously?

At some point, someone has to chose.

I choose freedom.

Sorry Lion6969, it's not as black and white as you make it to be.

It's as black and White as I said.

It's said on this thread that religious people have god at the centre of their universe, so logically it follows that irreligious folk replace that with something else, now if your atheist then lean towards it's doctrine and philosophy unless your a band wagon atheist and it's easier to jump on band wagons. You lean towards atomism, individualism, etc etc, these are the philosophical foundations of atheism, these philosophies centred around the self, the self is god. So the irreligious replace god with themselves.

It does not logically follow. For an atheist, God is a man made phenomenon. It needs replacing with nothing. Maybe you should read about atheists and how they actually see the world rather than just making something up (or simply repeating what someone else made up).

• Like 2

It's as black and White as I said.

It's said on this thread that religious people have god at the centre of their universe, so logically it follows that irreligious folk replace that with something else, now if your atheist then lean towards it's doctrine and philosophy unless your a band wagon atheist and it's easier to jump on band wagons. You lean towards atomism, individualism, etc etc, these are the philosophical foundations of atheism, these philosophies centred around the self, the self is god. So the irreligious replace god with themselves.

I mostly agree. Although as many people probably do view themselves as God or a god, I'm sure most of them don't. They have however replaced what would be the position of God in their lives, with themselves. Just wanted to clarify that a little.

You're not too bright. Just because you believe in a god doesn't mean it has any relevance to a non-believer.
  • Like 2

It does not logically follow. For an atheist, God is a man made phenomenon. It needs replacing with nothing. Maybe you should read about atheists and how they actually see the world rather than just making something up (or simply repeating what someone else made up).

You're wasting you're time, he seems like one of those christians who think they are going to heaven to watch down on those who aren't one of them burning in agony in the lake of fire with a great big grin on his face.