Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The children who really do see dead people

Still Waters

Haley Joel Osment shocked millions of American moviegoers when he said, "I see dead people" in "The Sixth Sense."

Turns out, what's really shocking is how many kids can actually communicate with spooks -- or at least feel they do.

So says Caron Goode, a Fort Worth, Texas-based psychotherapist and author of the new book "Kids Who See Ghosts: How to Guide Them Through Fear" (Weiser Books).

Goode says that while some kids play with imaginary friends, there are others who are convinced they are being visited by spooks and apparitions.

Well, are they?

Depends on your upbringing, Goode says.

"Are ghosts real? In some cultures they are and others they aren't," she says, adding that there are many factors that can make people feel they are seeing one -- including stress and their brain waves being in a "theta" or daydreaming state.

On the other hand, there are many people -- including Goode -- who have had experiences that they believe could only be caused by another entity and are not hallucinations.

So how can you tell if your kid's chat with his dead Uncle Leo is normal child's play or a paranormal experience? Well, age appropriateness is one way.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Schizophrenia anyone? :whistle:

My 6 year old son has seen things. The most memorable was the "old" man standing under the tree in a cemetery. He was scared of him and wanted to leave (He was probably 4 at the time and had never been to a cemetery before). But, he's never had an imaginary friend.

My daughter see's ghosts. She has seen them since she was a toddler, she is 11 now. She also had an what you would call an "imaginary friend" that she would talk to and play with. I know she does see these ghosts, because I can see them to, and we would see the same ghost, and describe the ghost to each other. As a baby, her battery operated toys would go off in her room all the time, while she was sleeping. We continue to get spirits in our home.

I don't like to talk about my own strange experiences, but I'll give out one.

I recall as a child that I would play with these figures that were very human-like. They didn't sport any characteristics, they would simply be a human figure but everything else was white as if they were made of fog or a cloud.

I also remember being tormented at this restaurant we used to go to. The mouth thing you do with your hand? I used to always see something doing one of those outside the window of the restaurant. Same place every time. It acted as though it mocked me, for when I told my mom or grandma- whomever I was with- to look it would duck down when they did. I'm still horrified by that thing, and have no idea what it was...

My 6 year old son has seen things. The most memorable was the "old" man standing under the tree in a cemetery. He was scared of him and wanted to leave (He was probably 4 at the time and had never been to a cemetery before). But, he's never had an imaginary friend.

you didnt think he could have actually seen a Real, creepy looking man under a tree, visiting a grave in the cemetary?

• Like 1

i saw lots of **** when i was younger. i saw a top half of a tux float down my hallway, i saw what looked like a man that had been chewed up n spit out walking across our lawn with a tool box, ive seen rocks thrown across my old hallway when no one else was home, n one time i heard a bunch of crashing around in a bathroom when everyone was in the field and when they came in the tap was on full blast n flooding the bathroom:blink: just to name a few though. it seems as ive got older i no longer see things, which is fine by me. i still do have experiences though. ill be woken up a couple times a week around 2-4 and it always sounds like someone says my name right as im comming to :wacko: maybe ive always just had an overactive imagination, that or im a little skitzo :rolleyes:

My daughter see's ghosts. She has seen them since she was a toddler, she is 11 now. She also had an what you would call an "imaginary friend" that she would talk to and play with. I know she does see these ghosts, because I can see them to, and we would see the same ghost, and describe the ghost to each other. As a baby, her battery operated toys would go off in her room all the time, while she was sleeping. We continue to get spirits in our home.

although i question your experiences with your young child, the toys have nothing to do with spirits. electronics malfunction all the time.

you didnt think he could have actually seen a Real, creepy looking man under a tree, visiting a grave in the cemetary?

Did you consider they may have just had a real paranormal experience? Are you 100% sure they didn't without a doubt?

A 'real' man standing under the tree in a cemetery?.

Did you consider they may have just had a real paranormal experience? Are you 100% sure they didn't without a doubt?

where did i say i was 100% sure they did?

i cant find that post.

I would never call anyone here a liar but at the same time I think it's important that children who make such claims are examined by a doctor. IMO the odds are much greater for a child to have a psychological issue than a paranormal one.

where did i say i was 100% sure they did?

i cant find that post.

Calm down buddy, its was a question just saying :w00t:

Calm down buddy, its was a question just saying :w00t:

...calm down, from...what?

i dont get it. write something coherent next time.

No. Since logic dictates different. Especially when we are talking about the imaginations of kids.

Edited by The Skeptic Eric Raven

No. Since logic dictates different. Especially when we are talking about the imaginations of kids.

hes Back!

i saw one day when i was about 8 or 10 a full coulered joker like in the cards i was doing homework and my door was open he came out of the toilet he went past my room he turned smiled and waved to me without stopping and went into my parents room i told my mum she went and checked no one was there.

i also saw a shadow person about 2.5 meters walk past my room going to my parents room .

I never saw a ghost as a child (that i remember) but i was sensitive...however you have to know when to distinguish between sensitivity and an overactive imagination..which i also had.

I would often feel there was something following me up the stairs at night. Was it a ghost, i doubt it. I was just a scardy cat going up the stairs. Even now sometimes i get spooked when i know there is nothing there.

Also, i once saw a movie about a monster in a closet and spent the rest of my childhood being nervous of a built in closet in my room. There was nothing wrong with the closet, my imagination was playing tricks on me because of the movie i saw lol.

Its a slightly different feeling when there is possibly something there though...hard to explain as its more intuitive, although imagination can play tricks. Its very convincing when it lets rip lol.

I do believe that some children could be sensitive to seeing such things, and some may not. But sometimes it is a childs imagintion doing most of the work too.

Nothing wrong with being imaginative, as long as you know thats what it is.

Edited by Moonlight_Magic

hes Back!

Boo ya. I took enough time away, so I figured I would come back.

Children have vivid imaginations.On top of that, the parents can bleed their on beliefs into the children. If the parents believe it, then I gurantee the children will as well. Its the same way children brought up in a particular faith, will tend to be that faith as an adult.

Edited by The Skeptic Eric Raven

i saw one day when i was about 8 or 10 a full coulered joker like in the cards i was doing homework and my door was open he came out of the toilet he went past my room he turned smiled and waved to me without stopping and went into my parents room i told my mum she went and checked no one was there.

i also saw a shadow person about 2.5 meters walk past my room going to my parents room .

Maybe it was your dad or someone else who dressed up like that to scare you?. You know, some dads like wearing santa claus outfits on christmas day. Just saying. may not be the case.

About the children, let kids be kids.. It's not unusual for them to have imaginary friends, you see them talking to themselves,dolls, house pets and television sometimes. Like the kid who lives beside my house, he likes to talk to himself in his own room at night. I know it's odd but there are parents out there who go "OMGzz11, My kid is so pure and special, he can see ghosts cause his heart is so pure and innocent". These things have been said a lot of times before, just repeatin..

Now, any parent should be able to understand that and be able to manage it, unless things really go out of hand with your kid and then maybe you might want to look for help.

These kind of things usually disappear when we grow up?, Do we lose our ability to see ghosts and spirits because our heart gets infected with evil?. Or maybe it's just that we develop a better understanding of the surroundings and world around us and mature?.

Maybe it was your dad or someone else who dressed up like that to scare you?. You know, some dads like wearing santa claus outfits on christmas day. Just saying. may not be the case.

About the children, let kids be kids.. It's not unusual for them to have imaginary friends, you see them talking to themselves,dolls, house pets and television sometimes. Like the kid who lives beside my house, he likes to talk to himself in his own room at night. I know it's odd but there are parents out there who go "OMGzz11, My kid is so pure and special, he can see ghosts cause his heart is so pure and innocent". These things have been said a lot of times before, just repeatin..

Now, any parent should be able to understand that and be able to manage it, unless things really go out of hand with your kid and then maybe you might want to look for help.

These kind of things usually disappear when we grow up?, Do we lose our ability to see ghosts and spirits because our heart gets infected with evil?. Or maybe it's just that we develop a better understanding of the surroundings and world around us and mature?.

nah he was see through it scared the daylights out of me .i dont really know if it was a ghost or my imagination

can you actually imagine something in your head and it becames visual ? all i know is what i saw. a seethrough cartoon joker smiling and waving to me. that was some 25 yrs ago but still remember it

What if some of the claims are actually paranormal though? Everyone tries their best to de-bunk something when it really could be paranormal thats why things like that are hard to explain, its paranormal which just means above the normal

What if some of the claims are actually paranormal though? Everyone tries their best to de-bunk something when it really could be paranormal thats why things like that are hard to explain, its paranormal which just means above the normal

theres no Normal. only Common.

and youd have to define what you think is paranormal.

and, sure, some claims may not have the down to earth explanation that some people on here give. but, they also dont really have any evidence to make them 'paranormal'. its on the people making the claim to prove it.

I would never call anyone here a liar but at the same time I think it's important that children who make such claims are examined by a doctor. IMO the odds are much greater for a child to have a psychological issue than a paranormal one.

See a psychologist!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

theres no Normal. only Common.

and youd have to define what you think is paranormal.

and, sure, some claims may not have the down to earth explanation that some people on here give. but, they also dont really have any evidence to make them 'paranormal'. its on the people making the claim to prove it.

Just like no one can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt ghosts exist,"NO ONE" can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that they don't exist