Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human situations

markdohle

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the

goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless

exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Human situations

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the suffering that is in this world. A woman came by on Sunday needing help. She is homeless and needed a place to stay on Monday for a week. She was around 50 years old, small in stature and she seemed a pleasant sort. As we talked she told me that she never thought that she would be in the position she is in, being homeless. She asked if I could help her get her medicines, so I gave her some money, it was not much. As she left, I told her to come around 10 AM on Monday.

Her sister drove her in this morning and I brought them to the parlor next to the office so we could talk. I did ask her if there was any way that she could make things up with her family. Both of them responded with a strong ‘No’; so I guess it was pretty serious. We had room until Friday and then she would have to move out. I told her that I could help with a room for three days in a local place that knows me. I also asked her to please not tell anyone that we helped her, because if too many people started to come around I would be forced to stop helping at all. We have limited resources. In any case, next Monday hopefully, her brother would have found a place for her in Atlanta.

Later on, Pattie informed me that her sister decided to let her stay until Friday, which is good for her. At least she has some family to help her. To tell you the truth I don’t often know how to react. I am learning that I have to put a limit on what I can do, because if I don’t they keep coming back, if I don’t put up boundaries. I wish I could help everyone but I can’t. I am beginning to wonder if I should be guest master at all. I could be bringing in future troubles for the retreat house by allowing people in need to stay here. However saying no, will also cause me some problems. I believe that some part of my humanity will shut down if I start doing that. Life situations are impossible, all any of us can do is the best we can. Though I feel it is never enough.

Women battered and sometimes men. Children being abused in the United States in the hundreds of thousands, not to mention the self destructive addictions and there is no end in sight. Things do not just turn themselves around, then there is a point of no return, where we just free fall until we hit bottom. It has happened all through history, why not now? Although hopefully I am wrong...in spite of the dark tone of this post, I am by nature hopeful.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markdohle

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic