Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stick with emissions, but plant trees

Roj47

A theory exists that the little ice age in medieval times was a direct result of the plague.

The reasoning being that with such large populations reducing that farmland became vacant. This in turn allowed trees etc... to grow, and absorb CO2 from the atmosphere, and thus cool the world.

I accept that populations are higher today, and that our consumption of resources is much higher, but I am interested in your thoughts on the following -

Continue looking for alternative sources of energy, but look to managing the environment to compensate. Is it more detrimental to Earth to lose the rainforests or continue with emissions?

Would it be possible to put aside national parks in every country to plan trees to absorb CO2? Would it be more beneficial to create islands with algae or foliage rather than wind farms?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4755328.stm

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/ear...ml&edu=elem

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ravinar

• Lord Umbarger

• Roj47

• Osirian

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to admit, I've never heard that one before. I guess that it could sort of make sence though. The only thing is that with allthe deforrestation that has taken place in the last few hudred years, wouldn't the effect be many times more than just what little was cut before the Ice Age? Shouldn't the temperture be in the triple digets by now?

I could possible go along with the idea that it's just one of the many factors leading to Global Warming but, I wouldnt go so far as to say that it is a major contributer.

I have heard that trees planted near a major highway will absorb more carbon, (from car exhaust), during their life and when harvested the lumber will be harder and stronger than trees of the same species growing farther away. I know that it's not really in the same vein as the OP but, I just had to add my two cents.

2,500th post!

There is certainly nothing wrong with planting trees, but I doubt the people that are struggling to survive in their overpopulated countries around the world will bother to plant them. It is more likely that any tree that reaches a few feet high will be used for firewood.

They are looking at putting in a ocean wave energy generator system here off the coast of Oregon. It supposedly will provide power for 15,000 homes.

I doubt that will be enough without cutting CO2 emissions at the same time. Even a fast growing tree (~25'' per year) will still need 10 - 20 years to reach a decent size. Add to that population growth & growth of emerging economies in the same time, and you see the problem. Also, if the warming trend continues, many native tree species all over the globe won't be able to cope with the rising temperatures & will die off; so we'll also have a huge loss of trees.

basically we humans have #$%@ed are selfs on all fronts. it would take time and effort that we dont have to restore are planets carbon sinks and are dependence on oil and coal is not going to go away any time soon. unless some one comes up with a cheap and effective clean energy sorce really quick here we are going to keep going down the crap hole and it wont be a pretty site. i could list all of the horrors that will soon befall us but i think every one knows what they are at this point. its kind of funy to.... im an atheist but im starting to see how armageddon is going to play out and the signs of it seem to be every where.