Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Future of the Earth: 500 Years From Now

spacevudoo

If you could travel back in time five centuries, you’d encounter a thriving Aztec empire in Central Mexico, a freshly painted “Mona Lisa” in Renaissance Europe and cooler temperatures across the Northern Hemisphere. This was a world in the midst of the Little Ice Age (A.D. 1300 to 1850) and a period of vast European exploration now known as the Age of Discovery. But what if we could look 500 years into the future and glimpse the Earth of the 26th century? Would the world seem as different to us as the 21st century would have seemed to residents of the 16th century? For starters, what will the weather be like?

http://www.cosmosup.com/future-of-the-earth-500-years-from-now

• Like 3

If you travel back in time 5 centuries there were no:

nuclear weapons

catastrophic nuclear disasters at plants

pollution on a mass scale

over population

animals being killed to near extinction because someone wants its paw as an ashtray

concrete jungles

greedy bankers

stupid councils

poverty

loss of instincts

disrespect for nature

oh the list is endless.

We have no idea what the world will be like in 100 years time due to us, let alone 500.

• Like 1

Very interesting thanks spacevudoo :tu:

From the link:

...Physicist Stephen Hawking proposes that by the year 2600, this growth would see 10 new theoretical physics papers published every 10 seconds...

That is simply ridiculous. :lol:

If you could travel back in time five centuries, you’d encounter a thriving Aztec empire in Central Mexico, a freshly painted “Mona Lisa” in Renaissance Europe and cooler temperatures across the Northern Hemisphere. This was a world in the midst of the Little Ice Age (A.D. 1300 to 1850) and a period of vast European exploration now known as the Age of Discovery. But what if we could look 500 years into the future and glimpse the Earth of the 26th century? Would the world seem as different to us as the 21st century would have seemed to residents of the 16th century? For starters, what will the weather be like?

http://www.cosmosup....-years-from-now

Please place your copied material in quote tags. In fact you stated none of your own thoughts in your OP.

If we were to go back 500 years

1. wars

2. elites governing great poverty

3. complete disregard for the environment

4. no thoughts of conservation

5. cities with no sanitation

6. decimation of conquered poulations

7. death from simple infections

8. small pox, polio, cholera, plague, etc.

The achievements we have made are endless. There will be great changes to come.

• Like 6

nuclear weapons

over population

animals being killed to near extinction because someone wants its paw as an ashtray

concrete jungles

greedy bankers

stupid councils

poverty

loss of instincts

disrespect for nature

oh the list is endless.

We have no idea what the world will be like in 100 years time due to us, let alone 500.

hi freetoroam, i don't understand why you think there was no poverty 500 years ago? Or greedy "bankers" or "stupid councils" ?

Not counting slaves.. who owned nothing including themselves, i believe there were plenty of extremely poor people?

There were money lenders back then who were every bit as greedy as any banker today?

"Rome" hunted many animals to near extinction so they could watch them kill and be killed in the Arenas?

As for "stupid councils" ? i doubt groups of stupid people were in short supply 500 years ago?

• Like 5

Please place your copied material in quote tags. In fact you stated none of your own thoughts in your OP.

1. wars

You left off:

9. No true concept of medicine - An open wound to the stomach was pretty much a death sentence...

10. Rudimentary dentistry (at best)

11. Public executions with the bodies left to rot in public "as reminders"...

12. "weekends" did not exist... people worked every day - sunup to sundown unless they went to church (no wonder it was so popular!)

13. No electricity - no radios, TV, computers, etc... Books were hand written and extremely rare and valuable... But don't worry - you would have most likely been illiterate anyway

14. Infant mortality was so severe (most children died before they reached the age of 5) that many people did not name their children until they reached the age of 3...

15. In the 16th century a woman faced a 10% chance of dieing in childbirth... Today the chance is .01% (11 out of every 100,000)...

16. The vast majority of people never traveled more than 25 miles from the place they were born, in their entire lives...

17. In most Western cultures, the penalty for theft of a loaf of bread was either removal of the hand, or death...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 4

hi freetoroam, i don't understand why you think there was no poverty 500 years ago? Or greedy "bankers" or "stupid councils" ?

Not counting slaves.. who owned nothing including themselves, i believe there were plenty of extremely poor people?

There were money lenders back then who were every bit as greedy as any banker today?

"Rome" hunted many animals to near extinction so they could watch them kill and be killed in the Arenas?

As for "stupid councils" ? i doubt groups of stupid people were in short supply 500 years ago?

The poverty has not got better in some places, infact worse considering after all these years.

There were no GLOBAL banks ripping off people back then, the technology for the new type of banking was not around then.

As for councils, the way the likes of Hackney and Croydon councilsrun their business is a lot different from 5 centuries ago.

I agree with what you say about the past, but it is very VERY sad that these situations can still be compared to todays events.....things have changed, they have got worse for some and bigger.

What have we learned from our past misfortunes and mistakes and deaths?? NOTHING......but today we have the technology to improve things...be it for the peaceful and for the criminals!

1. wars

I had to re read that, that could be the list for today. We can add ebola into number 8.

As for wars....today? where do we start.

I do hope there will be great changes, but it will not be for the whole of mankind, there are too many of us and its growing and there will always be those who do not want to share, like there always has been.

yup freetoroam, we seem to be extremely slow learners.

• Like 1

It has taken many years, many deaths and many great minds to bring us to this point in our lifetime where technology and science has given this world the GREAT things for the benefit of mankind.....it will take one bomb to destroy it.....lets hope that never happens.

yup freetoroam, we seem to be extremely slow learners.

I am not too sure, some learn very quickly, very quickly indeed, but not to benefit man or this planet., to benefit themselves. This I feel with be around for a, lets say, at least another 500 years. :cry:

• Like 1

nuclear weapons

over population

concrete jungles

greedy bankers

stupid councils

poverty

loss of instincts

disrespect for nature

oh the list is endless.

nuclear weapons - True

catastrophic nuclear disasters at plants - True

pollution on a mass scale - There were many nasty cities and areas where sanitation was worse than today

over population - Many areas were overpopulated

animals being killed to near extinction because someone wants its paw as an ashtray - Many animals were killed to near extincition. Animals were treated badly in most cases.

concrete jungles - Cobblestone

greedy bankers - These existed. Also the tax man was worse back then

stupid councils - These existed

poverty - More than today

loss of instincts - Not sure what this means

disrespect for nature - Nature was not respected anymore than today.

• Like 4

Not correct. They had few sewage systems and streets were awash in human waste. You could smell the stink of the cities from miles away.

over population

Check statistics on the slum areas of the world. You'll find them overpopulated back then.

Ancient Egyptians drove their ibis to extinction because they wanted the birds as bird mummies. Cave bears in Europe were killed off for bear rituals... etc, etc.

concrete jungles

greedy bankers

stupid councils

poverty

In fact, you'd find all of those -- and worse because there were no regulations. The rich ran everything and the kings controlled the rich. If someone didn't like you, all they had to do was accuse you of witchcraft and you'd be hauled off and tortured. And there are a lot of stupid laws from that time on the books.

...and so on.

But I do agree that it'd be impossible to predict the world in 500 years.

• Like 5

pollution on a mass scale - There were many nasty cities and areas where sanitation was worse than today = because of over population, back in those days there were no flushing toilets or fairy liquid.

over population - Many areas were overpopulated = not to the extent as it currently is now.

animals being killed to near extinction because someone wants its paw as an ashtray - Many animals were killed to near extincition. Animals were treated badly in most cases.= agree, to a certain extent. Animals (exclude the greedy romans,) were killed as a matter of survival, meat, fur...we can not compare that to animals being killed in one area of the world to be sent to another area of the world because of "fashion" or "an ashtray". The global market changed a lot of things.

concrete jungles - Cobblestone == get outta here!

greedy bankers - These existed. Also the tax man was worse back then = not on a global scale, which is much bigger and can affect a whole country, not just a little village. but I suppose they had to start somewhere.

stupid councils - These existed = some of the current councils have far exceeded stupid, again, suppose they had to start somewhere.

poverty - More than today = understandable back then, but today there is no excuse for poverty in some areas when you consider the amount of charities around now and all the money they get. Over population does not help matters when the rich have no intentions of sharing with the minorities..same as before, but on a much bigger scale today, hence more poverty.

loss of instincts - Not sure what this means = natural extincts..eg: not having a panic attack and not knowing what to do when there is a power cut or your phone battery runs out when on the phone to Chantelle and there is no power supply insight...many people would not survive in the forests for more than a few days, let alone the jungle.

disrespect for nature - Nature was not respected anymore than today. = again...go back to concrete jungles and get outta here. Will go bigger though and bring in the rain forest and the experiments done in the pacific, even on land with military testing. Killing trees and wildlife to find a way to kill their fellow man! pollution done to this planet, how many people really are eco conscious?

Edited by freetoroam

Check statistics on the slum areas of the world. You'll find them overpopulated back then.

Ancient Egyptians drove their ibis to extinction because they wanted the birds as bird mummies. Cave bears in Europe were killed off for bear rituals... etc, etc.

In fact, you'd find all of those -- and worse because there were no regulations. The rich ran everything and the kings controlled the rich. If someone didn't like you, all they had to do was accuse you of witchcraft and you'd be hauled off and tortured. And there are a lot of stupid laws from that time on the books.

...and so on.

But I do agree that it'd be impossible to predict the world in 500 years.

To the over population---- today we have more people on this planet than back then FACT...even after all the deaths from wars and diseases over the centuries. Many of these cities were once little villages.

Again, not good that after all these years we have not dealt with many any of these issues, infact, we have added to them and brought them into the global and modern world.

Yes, we have got rid of a lot of the bad and replaced it with good, but its no where near where we should be as an "intelligent" species, but I guess intelligence does not always mean considerate to the world around us.

Man has made many remarkable inventions for the benefits of mankind, shame we can not lose the greed (one instinct man has held onto tightly)

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

I own a Franklin Mint model of the original Enterprise "NCC-1701" that I keep in full view around my living room. I say around because every couple of months I relocate it to get a different view of it. To me it is a symbol of a optimistic future that I truly believe is attainable. I'm not saying things might not get worse before they get better, but in the long run (500 years) I think mankind can and will rise above the present chaos to shine and excel and expand into the galaxy. Some of you may think that is a naive but it beats the hell out of thinking of the alternative future where we continue on our present course of greed, war, poverty and most damaging, hate towards our fellow man.

So my vote for the long run is two thumbs up!

• Like 2

pollution on a mass scale - There were many nasty cities and areas where sanitation was worse than today = because of over population, back in those days there were no flushing toilets or fairy liquid.

over population - Many areas were overpopulated = not to the extent as it currently is now.

animals being killed to near extinction because someone wants its paw as an ashtray - Many animals were killed to near extincition. Animals were treated badly in most cases.= agree, to a certain extent. Animals (exclude the greedy romans,) were killed as a matter of survival, meat, fur...we can not compare that to animals being killed in one area of the world to be sent to another area of the world because of "fashion" or "an ashtray". The global market changed a lot of things.

concrete jungles - Cobblestone == get outta here!

greedy bankers - These existed. Also the tax man was worse back then = not on a global scale, which is much bigger and can affect a whole country, not just a little village. but I suppose they had to start somewhere.

stupid councils - These existed = some of the current councils have far exceeded stupid, again, suppose they had to start somewhere.

poverty - More than today = understandable back then, but today there is no excuse for poverty in some areas when you consider the amount of charities around now and all the money they get. Over population does not help matters when the rich have no intentions of sharing with the minorities..same as before, but on a much bigger scale today, hence more poverty.

loss of instincts - Not sure what this means = natural extincts..eg: not having a panic attack and not knowing what to do when there is a power cut or your phone battery runs out when on the phone to Chantelle and there is no power supply insight...many people would not survive in the forests for more than a few days, let alone the jungle.

disrespect for nature - Nature was not respected anymore than today. = again...go back to concrete jungles and get outta here. Will go bigger though and bring in the rain forest and the experiments done in the pacific, even on land with military testing. Killing trees and wildlife to find a way to kill their fellow man! pollution done to this planet, how many people really are eco conscious?

You are backing out of your original statement which was "If you travel back in time 5 centuries there were no:"

Sure there are more people, but times were worse and much tougher 500 years ago. There was much more poverty back then. It is just defined differently. Today, you could be living in poverty and still have food to eat each day and a shelter over your head. Rewind to a common person 500 years ago (nearly any place on Earth) and your situation is much worse than today.

• Like 1

You are backing out of your original statement which was "If you travel back in time 5 centuries there were no:"

Sure there are more people, but times were worse and much tougher 500 years ago. There was much more poverty back then. It is just defined differently. Today, you could be living in poverty and still have food to eat each day and a shelter over your head. Rewind to a common person 500 years ago (nearly any place on Earth) and your situation is much worse than today.

Not really backing out, we have just moved on...I stand by my original statement, there were no:

nuclear weapons

over population

concrete jungles

greedy bankers

stupid councils

poverty

loss of instincts

disrespect for nature

I do agree times were much harder back then, there is absolutely no disputing that, But i think the poverty thing is different for different reasons. You explain it here perfectly, poverty back then is NOT like it is today in most areas..

We have people complaining they are living in poverty because they can not afford to pay for their 5 kids to have upto date computers, a t.v and computer in every room, and ready meals daily....cooking proper foods is out of the question. People buy their foods as oppose to growing it themselves and if they can not afford to buy bags of chips and microwave meals daily then they say they are in poverty......please note, this is kind of flippant of me, I know there is true poverty in many areas of the world, but again, this is down to the greed of mankind and the ignorance of others, there really is no need for such poverty today.

Then we have poverty in 3rd world countries.....5 centuries there was not a divide of 1st 2nd or 3rd world countries, there was a time when certain parts of Africa where very advanced.

But I will stand by my over population bit...something has to give to cater for us humans and its going to be at the cost of the land and animals...as it is now but it will get worse, can the Earth sustain that? we will have to wait and see, not sure we will be here in 500 years time to see the results though.

Edited by freetoroam

I had to re read that, that could be the list for today. We can add ebola into number 8.

As for wars....today? where do we start.

I do hope there will be great changes, but it will not be for the whole of mankind, there are too many of us and its growing and there will always be those who do not want to share, like there always has been.

It used to be the norm to kill everyone in a conquered land. Then imperialism changed that. The people were left alive but forced to pay tribute to their new ruler.

In the past there was no concept of being careful with natural resources. Forests were burned down to collect the ash to fertilize fields. Herds of bison were slaughtered just to acquire the tasty tongues. There is a myth that the ancients were in tune with nature. Not so. Examination of bison jumps shows that many more animals were killed than could be used. It was running out of available land to pillage and lay waste that led to the conservation movement.

Here is an article which discusses the destructive methods of the ancients and the loss of their cities.

http://www.jstor.org...=21104869804727

and another article suggesting that people everywhere have practiced destructive methods that led to their downfall

http://www.nasa.gov/...ncient-dry.html

Many animals were killed to the point of extinction by early man including: aurochs, European lion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurochs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_lions_in_Europe

Edited by stereologist
  • Like 3

Not really backing out, we have just moved on...I stand by my original statement, there were no:

nuclear weapons

over population

concrete jungles

greedy bankers

stupid councils

poverty

loss of instincts

disrespect for nature

I do agree times were much harder back then, there is absolutely no disputing that, But i think the poverty thing is different for different reasons. You explain it here perfectly, poverty back then is NOT like it is today in most areas..

We have people complaining they are living in poverty because they can not afford to pay for their 5 kids to have upto date computers, a t.v and computer in every room, and ready meals daily....cooking proper foods is out of the question. People buy their foods as oppose to growing it themselves and if they can not afford to buy bags of chips and microwave meals daily then they say they are in poverty......please note, this is kind of flippant of me, I know there is true poverty in many areas of the world, but again, this is down to the greed of mankind and the ignorance of others, there really is no need for such poverty today.

Then we have poverty in 3rd world countries.....5 centuries there was not a divide of 1st 2nd or 3rd world countries, there was a time when certain parts of Africa where very advanced.

But I will stand by my over population bit...something has to give to cater for us humans and its going to be at the cost of the land and animals...as it is now but it will get worse, can the Earth sustain that? we will have to wait and see, not sure we will be here in 500 years time to see the results though.

I understand now. You are saying that things are worse because there is more people. That is true, but not something to condemn by. 500 years ago was worse than 1000 years ago. 2000 years ago was worse than 1000 years ago. If grand scale is what you are going by then it has consistently gotten worse.

This thread reminds me of a cartoon I saw years ago. It shows a fence around a tree that has a sign proclaiming "The Last Tree." The man standing in front of the sign says "The last chair."

What draws our attention to issue is when that resource runs short. Lobster were once so abundant that they were plowed into fields as fertilizer. It was paupers food for the poor. Kids threw away their lunches instead of being laughed at for bringing lobster for lunch. People in Donora in 1948 had no idea how dangerous conditions had become when they could not even see across the street to watch the marching band. One man reported how he could not see the road and got out to look in the thick air and then turned and could not see his headlights and found the car because it was still running. In 1948 people did not know that air that polluted would kill until 11 were dead. Rivers have caught fire. Rivers have become sterile. Parts of treeless deserts were once with trees. The deforestation has been recent and it has been done thousands of years ago. We learn by suffering from loss of life, loss of food supplies, loss of homes. But we can also learn from past experiences.

I certainly agree with freetoroam that greed has jeopardized us. Greed and carelessness probably forced the Anazasi to move. It ruined ancients cities all over the world. We just have the technology to amplify the damage greed can wrought.

In 500 years time there is no way of telling what can happen. What is definately sure is these things:

1. Landscape changes, either very slightly or considerably based on which natural disasters may happen between and 500 years time.

2. Natural disasters that haven't happened yet. Between now and 500 years time, a certain volcano will erupt.

3. Animal life, sadly some animals we know today might disappear between now and then 500 years into the future. However, newer species will appear.

4. Population shifts. Human populations have always changed over the ages, increasing and then being reduced and then increasing again.

5. People today have already left scars on the earth, i.e. Fukushima and Chernobyl. In 500 years time those particular places would be inhabitable but still radiocactive. Plenty of plants and wildlife returned to Pripyat in recent times. That will be forgotten in 500 years time.

6. Discoveries of new worlds and uncovering of ancient past.

Edited by Red Howler
  • Like 1

I stand by my original statement

One of the most painfully naive things I've read all day. You're viewing the past with glasses so rose-tinted I'm surprised you can see anything.

nuclear weapons

No, but there were plenty of other weapons, which killed many more people than nuclear weapons did.

Not really the worst thing that's ever happened in modern times is it?

over population

disrespect for nature

]

I've put these two together. History is littered with example of civilisations - from Africa, the Americas, the Pacific, Europe - that collapsed due to extreme over-use of natural resources. It is not a modern thing.

concrete jungles

Some people like concrete.

greedy bankers

Taxation has been around since the Babylonians, and greed with it. Again, this is not a new thing.

stupid councils

Again - not the worst thing to beset us in modern times.

poverty

This is where you lose it completely. No poverty 500 years ago? Actually learn some history perhaps, instead of just making it up in your head?

loss of instincts

Please give me an example of people having more "instincts" 500 years ago.

Posts like this bug me hugely. People just don't know how good they've got it in the modern era. We're living longer than ever, we have more rights as humans, war is on the decrease (believe it or not), diseases are being eradicated, etc etc etc.

Seriously - STOP being so naive.

• Like 4

People often have anachronistic understandings of ancient times. One of those is the idea of slavery. In ancient Sumer slaves had rights. They were not chattel as in modern times. It was an agreement to pay off debts to another. There are records from Sumer showing that slaves went to court and sued the person who owned them and won.

Today we have courts where it is possible to be tried by a panel of your peers. That was not a part of ancient times.

Many things have changed. Overall the change is for the better although the dramatic increase in the human population has caused problems.

There have been many people making predictions about the future. Lets not forget Toffler and his "Future Shock" claims. I didn't believe him then or now. He was a big seller and had many people believing that the masses would be unable to keep up with rapid technological change. What an incredibly wrong prediction on his part. The one thing we know about people is that they are flexible and that technology can be made that addresses the needs of people.

• Like 1

One of the most painfully naive things I've read all day. You're viewing the past with glasses so rose-tinted I'm surprised you can see anything.

No, but there were plenty of other weapons, which killed many more people than nuclear weapons did.

Not really the worst thing that's ever happened in modern times is it?

][/size]

I've put these two together. History is littered with example of civilisations - from Africa, the Americas, the Pacific, Europe - that collapsed due to extreme over-use of natural resources. It is not a modern thing.

Some people like concrete.

Taxation has been around since the Babylonians, and greed with it. Again, this is not a new thing.

Again - not the worst thing to beset us in modern times.

This is where you lose it completely. No poverty 500 years ago? Actually learn some history perhaps, instead of just making it up in your head?

Please give me an example of people having more "instincts" 500 years ago.

Posts like this bug me hugely. People just don't know how good they've got it in the modern era. We're living longer than ever, we have more rights as humans, war is on the decrease (believe it or not), diseases are being eradicated, etc etc etc.

Seriously - STOP being so naive.

NAIVE? read all the posts and you may understand what I am saying. I am NOT saying we have not moved on for the better, i am saying we have not learned from the past, greedy people and population growth are NOT benefiting mankind. If you can not see that, then you are NAIVE.

Natural instincts are being lost because people rely on technology and "others", I am not saying this is a bad thing as such, it is obviously a part of us evolving in a society based round cities and we have entered a complete social change in many parts of the World. Many people have never grown a tomato, let alone live off their land.The family structure has changed a lot, in many big cities you do not have the family living side by side and helping each other, we have a system here where people here no longer look after their elderly, I am not sure, but do not know of old peoples homes centuries ago.

As for poverty.....I did not say there was no poverty back then, I said today we should not have the poverty we do TODAY, but AGAIN greed has contributed to this and there is poverty in cities today where centuries back they were only villages and small towns.

Bankers......not like there is today, unless you know of global banking centuries ago?

Concrete jungles = concreting over the land, creating big estates with social unrests, do you think living on a large concrete estate is better than living in a house with a garden?

"Not really the worst thing that's ever happened in modern times is it?" as for this in relation to catastrophic nuclear disasters at plants, ARE YOU FOR REAL? Take your pick from this lot:

You have dissected my post with out reading my replies and reasons. See posts 7, 10 14 17 and 18. You can not just jump in without reading all which was put. This has been an ongoing debate, start at the beginning!

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1