Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has the Higgs Boson finally been discovered?

WolfBane

wasn't sure if anyone had seen this yet.......or if im even posting it in the right section lol

if true what kind of effect do you guys think this will have?

http://www.wired.com...t-higgs-rumors/

wasn't sure if anyone had seen this yet.......or if im even posting it in the right section lol

Methink I will still have breakfast lunch and diner in that order even if the HB is found... but on the other end it might give a serious indigestion to some religious fundies.

Maybe they finaly found the "missing piece", if so, I wonder where it will lead?

Could mean some marvelous bit of technology that we at this time cant even imagine?

I've always found it interesting that some people cant just be excited about new discoveries that may push us further along to learning about our place in the universe without bashing religion.

Why would a single book printed on this planet have every answer to the mysteries of the Universe?

I believe in a creator, not sure at what level i believe the creator intervened in terms of making man or if we are just a happenstance of some other thing that was being made.

There are countless possibilities out there, why just pick one and constantly bash at it? I cant prove that a creator exists and i cant prove one doesnt. But logic would dictate that everything came from something.

I love this discovery, i love all scientific discoveries.

I seek the truth and this is just one more step to getting to that truth.

But it doesnt prove that god doesnt exist, its just one more step in learning.

Try to accept this for what it is.

Not what you want it to be.

Live and let live.

Edited by Capt Amerika
  • Like 1

What kind of effect it will have?

Well, put simply. Scientists believe the Higgs is responsible for giving all matter the property of mass.

It's the last remaining piece of confirmation of The Standard Model. This would also prove that scientists were on the right track all along, this goes back decades. It's amazing.

We'll be able to find out more about Mass itself ... imagine that we could control mass ... the possibilities are endless!!

After all the time and money spent to do these experiments will our lives be better for it.? As I can think of other ways to use all that money.

After all the time and money spent to do these experiments will our lives be better for it.? As I can think of other ways to use all that money.

Maybe we should just stick to banging rocks together and never move forward. Think of all the money saved that way. What a waste of existence to be so blindly tied down to colored paper.

if it is found wat would happen to the religious people?

The religious leaders who fear real jobs will find a way to explain it. The catholic church has already said it believes god may have created life on other planets.

I can see the headline on Fox news alert now: "God's Lego Blocks Found!"

Edited by Framling

...says the man on his computer built on very advanced science, as is the internet his message travels on...After all the time and money spent raising this guy to adulthood, will our lives be better for it? As I can think of other ways to use all that money...

Yeah, this is real stupid research. Completing the theory of the Standard Model.

Yanno, the model for which we can thank things like Wi-fi.

And getting knowledge of something like "mass" .. that'll be a real waste of money. Let's all just walk away from the Standard Model and assume we were right al along, no need to find the missing puzzle while we can. That's what science is all about ey.

if it is found wat would happen to the religious people?

nothing, because it has nothing to do with religion.

The god-particle is a poorly chosen term. It refers to the godlike quality of the particle because it would be responsible for giving ALL matter the property of mass. And since it's the missing piece of the standard model puzzle it means a lot. But it has NOTHING to do with god or religion...nothing nothing nothing.

• Like 1

Methink I will still have breakfast lunch and diner in that order even if the HB is found... but on the other end it might give a serious indigestion to some religious fundies.

How would this give indigestion to religious people? If we can figure out (exactly) how the universe was created do you take that to mean the universe wasn't really created? Very shallow thing to take away from this potentially monumental discovery.

Edited by OverSword

From what I know, It doesn't seem like they got exactly what was predicted. They got "interesting" or "encouraging" effects that could be explained by something like the Higgs boson. For those than aren't Phsyics savvy, you can't "see" a higgs boson. They are seeing if something similar explains experiment results. Either we got our theory about the Higgs boson slightly off, they are seeing something else, or some unknown factor is skewing the results. Constructing a new predictive model around experimental results could take some time.

If we can figure out (exactly) how the universe was created do you take that to mean the universe wasn't really created?

When did we figure that out exactly? Aren't we still putting the most important pieces of this puzzle together?

eta Genesis will need to be rewritten. "And on the night before God created the earth, he created the big bang."

Edited by Framling

eta Genesis will need to be rewritten. "And on the night before God created the earth, he created the big bang."

If they were going to rewrite the Bible, I would recommend starting with 1 Kings 7:23 where it alludes to the circumference of a particular circle being 30 cubits and the diameter being 10 cubits (suggesting that pi = 3).

Or, I suppose, one could interpret the Bible as an allegorical collection of morality tales and the history of a particular tribe of people, and not as literal and exact truth about the Universe.

If they were going to rewrite the Bible, I would recommend starting with 1 Kings 7:23 where it alludes to the circumference of a particular circle being 30 cubits and the diameter being 10 cubits (suggesting that pi = 3).

Or, I suppose, one could interpret the Bible as an allegorical collection of morality tales and the history of a particular tribe of people, and not as literal and exact truth about the Universe.

True. Archimedes computed pi to three decimles hundreds of years before jesus was born. The egyptions figured it at 3.16 over 1500 years before he was supossedly born.

Why didn't god know pi?

Damnit. Now I'm hungry.

Edited by Framling

True. Archimedes computed pi to three decimles hundreds of years before jesus was born. The egyptions figured it at 3.16 over 1500 years before he was supossedly born.

Why didn't god know pi?

Damnit. Now I'm hungry.

From the Christian point of view, you can't change the words of the bible so you have to change its interpretation or the concept of reality around it. "And God said, Let there be light", obviously meant the big bang. See? The bible is infallible. Sure, by that point, the heavens and earth had already been created, but obviously that referred to the underlying structure of the universe, not literally the rock that is this planet. The heavens could have been created since that's intangible. Now according to Kings, pi is 3, but that is obviously referring to a structure that our puny human brains cannot comprehend - it shows how amazing God is.... [/sarcasm]

The idea that Higgs will give us all the answers is of course silly. Will it tell us where the soul is? Or what is on the other side of the universe? Or if we are just an garden experiment of a species living in a higher plane? Sorry. Like the discovery of the atom, there will always be some place else to look or go. Of course we have to keep looking.

From the Christian point of view, you can't change the words of the bible so you have to change its interpretation or the concept of reality around it. "And God said, Let there be light", obviously meant the big bang. See? The bible is infallible. Sure, by that point, the heavens and earth had already been created, but obviously that referred to the underlying structure of the universe, not literally the rock that is this planet. The heavens could have been created since that's intangible. Now according to Kings, pi is 3, but that is obviously referring to a structure that our puny human brains cannot comprehend - it shows how amazing God is.... [/sarcasm]

are ppl seriously still discussing religion in a thread that has nothing to do with any form of religion?

Weak.

nothing, because it has nothing to do with religion.

The god-particle is a poorly chosen term. It refers to the godlike quality of the particle because it would be responsible for giving ALL matter the property of mass. And since it's the missing piece of the standard model puzzle it means a lot. But it has NOTHING to do with god or religion...nothing nothing nothing.

But it has NOTHING to do with god or religion...nothing nothing nothing.

nothing nothing nothing.

I agree with Render, this is not about religion it is about the material universe and mass - it's about a step forward in science, I say let's just applaud that without confusing the issue with conjecture about "God" and "Creation".

#20 Posted by escher7 on 23 June, 2012, 13:32

"The idea that Higgs will give us all the answers is of course silly."

I must have missed something. When did anybody say that finding evidence of the existence of the Higgs Boson would "give us all the answers"?