Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

IQ tests 'do not reflect intelligence'

Still Waters

IQ tests are misleading because they do not accurately reflect intelligence, according to a study which found that a minimum of three different exams are needed to measure someone's brainpower.

For more than a century our intelligence quotient (IQ) has been used to measure how clever people are and Mensa, the society for the intellectual elite, has even used the test to weed out sub-par applicants.

But now the scale has been dismissed as a "myth" by scientists who found that our intelligence can only be predicted by combining results from at least three tests of our mental agility.

http://www.telegraph...telligence.html

• Like 2

That's not really surprising

• Like 2

I dont know how long iv been saying this. I know that I am queit intelligent given the time and drive. Putting me under a quiz with a certain amount of time = pressure, and many reports on how pressure = low quality work or rushed work, which = wrong answers = low IQ = dumb = low self estem = depression = susicide or meds you never needed.

For some odd reason all I can picture is a scientist taking an iq test and doing crappy then trying to regain some self-esteem by doing this study.... which we all already knew except him..

• Like 2

That's not really surprising

^This

For some odd reason all I can picture is a scientist taking an iq test and doing crappy then trying to regain some self-esteem by doing this study.... which we all already knew except him..

LOL!

i notice they don't mention 'emotional intelligence', 'musical intelligence', or 'artistic intelligence' in their criteria of what tests are required to gauge intelligence.

the idea that these things were to be taken into account when gauging intelligence was argued in another thread here a while back.

i never bought into it.

emotional maturity yes, musical talent, yes, artistic ability, yes.

none of which is a measure of intellect

• Like 1

Alpaca+Hit_The+Chive+090723+amyoops.jpg

...but seriously, IQ has never really meant much to me...

I do not understand.

iq tests give approximate assessments...........i think precise results need more than one approach

Always said this, "scientists" come out with such stupid and useless rubbish sometimes.

• Like 1

I came here expecting to find something intelligent about this. Left dumber then when I started.

What a sparkly imaginary number weve attached to human intelligence.

That IQ tests are flawed should be common knowledge, especially as they're geared towards the western educational system. A gauge at best.

I wonder how people in Mensa feel like about this one?

They probably have mixed feelings about this L, as Mensa is the kindergarden of the genius world. I bet the Tesla999 club who exclude all but the top 99.9% from joining don't like it one bit.

Edited by daavin

They probably have mixed feelings about this L, as Mensa is the kindergarden of the genius world. I bet the Tesla999 club who exclude all but the top 99.9% from joining don't like it one bit.

Guessing that should be the top 0.1%. Excluding all but 99.9% of the population isn't too exclusive :P

All professionally designed tests, including IQ, are designed and validated for measurement with a defined population. The problem that arises is when a test is used for measurement outside of its intended population or validated use. The so-called IQ tests are typically validated as a measure of educational achievement and not overall intelligence. It's really too bad that good tests get a bad rap when they are used by incompetent people for uses other than for the intended design.

Guessing that should be the top 0.1%. Excluding all but 99.9% of the population isn't too exclusive :P

Lol, ya, that goes to prove I'm not in the club.

• Like 1

Always said this, "scientists" come out with such stupid and useless rubbish sometimes.

:tsu::nw::clap:

• Like 1

Being mensa myself I have always said it many times IQ test idea is ridiculous Cause I have seen many geniuses which IQ test had done them no justice.

Well it all depends on what one considers to be "Genius." There are in my opinion, many types of genius out there, most of which I'm sure aren't given proper justice. If one type of genius comes up with a test to determine geniusness, then it would only make sense that such a test would only test for that type of geniusness and abandon all others. And that's only if such tests were in fact developed by a genius. Who's to say it wasn't developed by a fool?

I think people should just let their geniusness show through their works, as opposed to their test scores. As we all know, Einstein flunked school but excelled in the outside world and the scientific community. He was labeled a fool in the beginning but proved himself otherwise afterwards.

IQ tests are in my opinion yet another way for two nerds to compete in their competetive little brain sports so they can further foster their already fully inflated egos. I'm glad they're finally debunked.

• Like 2

For me the old system can measure the standard IQ to rate a certain individual but, what if a special individual is not comfortable with the kind of system, now how to measure his true strength? So like in college course there should be a specific test chosen by the individual relating to his desire and preferences if it is in Arts, Math and sciences, or combination of both etc..

Edited by brainiac