Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

scarecrow myths?

minuteman

hey there, i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on something. i have this awesome looking scarecrow costume for a halloween party i'm going to, and was wondering if there were any urban legends associated with scarecrows. i looked around on google, and didn't come up with anything.

any help?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minuteman

• psychichub017

• Wookietim

• NightTrainMurderer

Not to my knowledge. There are a few stories and movies based on scarecrows. Check out the storyline to "Dark Night of the Scarecrow". Great made for tv movie.

hey there, i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on something. i have this awesome looking scarecrow costume for a halloween party i'm going to, and was wondering if there were any urban legends associated with scarecrows. i looked around on google, and didn't come up with anything.

any help?

actually, I think that the entire idea of scarecrows is an myth. Think about it - how can creating a perfect place for birds to perch be something that would scare them away? Have you ever saw a bird that was actually scared off by a scarecrow?

In many agricultural countries many birds are eating their plants like rice, corn, etc., so they uses scarecrows to drive the birds off.

But what I have heard is that in the middle of the night, when all of the people was gone into bed, scarecrows becomes alive. Many people also believed that the scarecrow is the real pest in many farms because they are the one who is destroying the plants.

best psychics

genuine psychics

In many agricultural countries many birds are eating their plants like rice, corn, etc., so they uses scarecrows to drive the birds off.

But what I have heard is that in the middle of the night, when all of the people was gone into bed, scarecrows becomes alive. Many people also believed that the scarecrow is the real pest in many farms because they are the one who is destroying the plants.

did u just make that up or do u have some kind of source

Not all scarecrows are scary

post-85606-125553888893_thumb.jpg

Actually I always thought Wurzel Gummage was kinda scary :P

Edited by tipsy_munchkin

To Spend

I live in the Philippines and we all know that Philippines is an agricultural country so farmers uses scarecrows to drive the birds off and the information that I have said actually came from them.

best psychics

genuine psychics

Edited by psychichub017

• 3 months later...

any help?

Actually, yes I do have a real Scarecrow story, as it was told to me by the ones who experienced it.

Just outside Berwick, Nova Scotia, on a back road going towards the south mountain, there is a small community known as Windemere.

There are a few houses there, and behind a couple of the houses is a huge field going back to the woods.

One night, the two teenage boys were home alone with their girlfriends and their mom on a really rainy, windy summer night.

After the storm passed the mom opened the back patio screen sliding door a bit to let in the breeze. A minute later they thought they heard someone laughing in a crazy sounding way, but far off. They all went out on the back patio to see what the sound was and where it was coming from.

They looked back across the field, at the tree line and way up in an oak tree, I believe it was a dead tree but I forget, sitting on a branch was what appeared to be a scare crow, like the Wizard of Oz type thing, but with a creepy looking face, rockig back and forth laughing, looking in their direction!

They ran inside and shut the door and blinds scared to death.

I am not sure what that was, but that is the story!

• 3 years later...

Two young adults were riding down on a back road, after she had picked her brother up from his big town university for spring break. They were taking a back route because the sister liked the rural atmosphere of the country and the long drive. They drove and they happened upon a house, coming in the distance (it was in the late day, close to five). They had both looked up aways from the house, and in the field, outside of the house, was a single scarecrow. As the two had looked up from their disposition from the house, the two had seen the scarecrow jump down easy, as if the thing had some scarecrow business to attend to. Watching, what they saw was it go into the house, and as they approached the house he had came out of the house with a sack that appeared bloody. He walked with an axe, quickly, and out of the sack he pulled out a severed head and had cast it down some pipe, leading into the ground, then out it cast the body. Now as he finished dumping the remains he turned his head just as the two were driving by, somewhat a far from the property, "all of a sudden." They looked at the scarecrow, directly, and then the scarecrow trailed back and disappeared into the house. (When this story was told to me no names were used, but for effect's-sake lets call them Sheila and Luke.) Sheila and Luke drove almost too quickly, but not too fast to cause themselves any unwanted attention, to the town not too far down this road. Sheila and her brother arrived at a police station only about five minutes away, the two rushed in and didn't look too well. The chief of police approached very steadfastily to inquire upon the situation. After about three seconds, Sheila said down the road the only house a little ways from the outskirts of town, they had seen what appeared to be a scarecrow jump down off its post and go into the house, and had thrown a body down a nearby pipe close to the house. As soon as she had finished what she was saying four officers walked quickly out the back. The chief of police had begun talking on his radio telling officers to go to the "outskirts" of town. When the police had gotten to the house the girl had talked of, it was on fire. Along with the police they had been accompanied by what seemed to be the entire town. The house was burning in the now darkening sky, the dusk, there was the scarecrow where the two young adults had first seen him. The mob went over to the scarecrow, and they took the scarecrow tailing with the mob and they burned it... After the people burned the scarecrow the murders that had taken place in that small backwoods town had stopped completely...... I had originally heard this from my uncle when I was younger, he says this story is what they had supposedly based the "Jeepers Creepers" movie off of...

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard of stories where the cops were called to the farm for one reason or another, or someone was just at the farm, and discovered that the scarecrow was a dead body... Willing to bet that it's just a myth that has been passed around for a LONG time in one form or another... Too lazy to look it up though... sorry