Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US soldiers charged with murder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:17 PM

US soldiers charged with murder

Two American soldiers have been charged with the premeditated murder of three Iraqi civilians, the US military says.
The men have been named as Michael Williams and Brent May, both members of the 1st Cavalry division.

The US military says no further information will be released, as the army's Criminal Investigation Division is still looking into the case.

US military investigators have launched several probes into the wrongful deaths of Iraqis since last year's invasion.

Some have been related to the deaths of prisoners, others to civilians killed during US military operations.

One British soldier also faces a murder charge, in connection with the death of a civilian near Basra last year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3680530.stm

Great way boost the coalitions image guys thumbsup.gif

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#2    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:22 PM

Ok soldiers, we are going over to Iraq to destroy the enemy. We don't know which one is the enemy, and they are more than likely going to try and kill you as soon as possible.

make sure you don't shoot the wrong one, otherwise you might get sent to prison for the rest of your life...

rolleyes.gif

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#3    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:24 PM

I'm with Fluffy, this is kinda silly.
What's the difference between an Iraqi terrorist, and an Iraqi civilian? How do you know who to shoot? Get the wrong one and get charged!? Come on.

#4    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:24 PM

There's bad people everywhere.  If they're really guilty, glad they're being punished.
I don't know why this is bad for the coalitions image.  There are bad people everywhere, that should be obvious I think?  Maybe not, but anyway there are.  And we hold them accountable, unlike many of those that are not with us in Iraq.
I guess we just made those not with us in the coalition look bad, again.

#5    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:28 PM

Ok soldiers, we are going over to Iraq to destroy the enemy. We don't know which one is the enemy, and they are more than likely going to try and kill you as soon as possible.

make sure you don't shoot the wrong one, otherwise you might get sent to prison for the rest of your life...

I think we need to more on the situation before saying that. I mean it says 'premeditated', which would imply they knew it wa civilians they were shooting, not just comming under attack and killed a few people in the cross fire... that kinda thing happens all the time.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#6    Independent1

Independent1

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE(Fluffybunny @ Sep 22 2004, 05:22 PM)

rolleyes.gif

View Post

I agree.

My guess is that if they are being charged, they shot (or are suspected of shooting) someone who they knew was an innocent civilian.  If that is not the case, and it was simply a wartime mistake, how can you send them to prison for life?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users