Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Acoustic Propulsion System..?

Acoustic Propulsion System..?

Hi all!

I know that what I am about to suggest will sound a little far-fetched, and possibly even stupid to some [perhaps all] of you. But ever since I became engrossed in the UFO/ET visitation genre as a boy, I have been aware that there is apparently many different types of craft being used as reported by the legions of seemingly respectable witnesses! Apart from the obvious general appearance's reported , ie flat saucer shape,..thicker saucer,..cone ,..oval ,and even up to spheroid shaped , as well as the many other tubular and triangular shaped vehicles etc, that display differing characteristics in both their motion and the sound that emanates from them . And the characteristic's that concern my personal [and quite possibly preposterous] hypothesis usually apply to the saucer and spheroid shaped ones.

....and it is the multitude of quite-convincing testimony of these craft having the distinct appearance of rapid-oscillation !...Even when in an apparent stationary position, time and time again the witness describes the unknown craft as 'Vibrating'.. or agitating in appearance , 'something akin to a taut guitar string that has just been mildly plucked'!

....And in most of this kind of report, the description of the anomalous-craft is accompanied by the witness describing either a distinct or mild 'Humming noise' that is emitted from the object!

I have often ruminated the possibility of these characteristics being not just the simple bi-product of such a craft's engines or propulsion-system...but could these very characteristics actually be the 'Propusion-System' for the craft!...?

Now being "No physicist" , [or not even being a very scientific-sort of chap as many of you have pointed out to me historically! lol]...I cannot really lay down a concise schematic plan of my thought system to present as a 'on-forum peer-review', ...but today I came across this very interesting article and video-example in The Huff Post Science section that is a compatible scientific demonstration that goes a long way to proving that my personal hypothesis might not be so outlandish after all!...?...

...well, what do you guys think...am I nuts or what..?
:wacko:

Cheers.

GORT...KLAATU BARADA NIKTO.

• Like 1

Yeh I saw this on the news a few days ago. Looks pretty cool, but all they are doing is levitating some water droplets using sound waves.

Now I'm no scientist, but I don't think that sound waves alone would have enough force to propel a craft, let alone at very fast speeds.

• Like 1

Love it Now we just need to Book Disaster Area to Blast some sound waves in behind my New Startship and we shall be off at the Speed of ? Sound ?

Hum that may take a bit of a wait as time waits for nobody

! :whistle:

Love it Now we just need to Book Disaster Area to Blast some sound waves in behind my New Startship and we shall be off at the Speed of ? Sound ?

Hum that may take a bit of a wait as time waits for nobody

! :whistle:

Yeah!...I see what you mean D! :huh: ...Perhaps the vibrations caused by radio waves would get you home in time for tea then? ;)

Cheers buddy.

• Like 1

Cheers 1963 ! We need some Really fantastic propulsion systems ? Like Dark matter,ect THeres gotta be some really easy way to zip across the Universe !

Maybe in an atmosphere...but it wouldn't work in the vaccuum of space because sound waves don't exist. They need a medium to travel in.

• Like 1

Maybe in an atmosphere...but it wouldn't work in the vaccuum of space because sound waves don't exist. They need a medium to travel in.

That is what I thought immediately, but whatever works in space probably does not work in an atmosphere, as they have very different physical properties. A hybrid engine does not sound out of the question to me. Ironic that one of the most interesting ideas I have heard in a while would be from this source, but I have to admit, it is an interesting proposal. Sound waves are very powerful with regards to resonance, and I understand the FBI has gone so far as to make lethal sound weapons that pretty much liquify one's organs. I would think sound could possibly be used, (and although I rarely dabble in speculation) for supercavitation of air, and create some amazing speeds, and perhaps some rather amazing maneuvers? I honestly do not know, and I am choking on my words, but I think the idea would be interesting to pursue. People are already working on hypersonic propulsions systems, maybe one could "waveride" a sonic disturbance? The thoughts just keep coming. I think this idea has good potential.

Edited by psyche101

I think this is exactly the kind of direction we ought to be looking in if we're ever going to make that breakthrough to interstellar travel, let alone find out how UFOs work, if, of course, they actually are craft from another World. Obviously the principles of rocketry and aerodynamics that we know wouldn't seem to apply to UFOs, if what's commonly reported of their capabilities actually is true. And if we want to voyage to the Stars, then we're going to have to look in radically different directions as well. I think it's rather like the revolution when steamships came along; they face the same hazards as sail, but speed and the ability to plan voyages were suddenly in a different league. So I'm pleased that people do seem prepared to think in radical new directions.

That is what I thought immediately, but whatever works in space probably does not work in an atmosphere, as they have very different physical properties.

Rocket engines currently in use work in both atmospheric and space environments.

Why don't you fire your idea off to NASA for evaluation. They usually reply to such suggestions.

NASA already has significant work underway on alternate propulsion systems by their private sector contractors. You will probably find research on your idea is well underway, or has already been deemed unfeasible and has been abandoned.

[...]Sound waves are very powerful with regards to resonance, [...]

Powerful indeed, but requires special conditions (what OPs info shows). Take upper (bottom) speaker away, and you'll have zip/nada...

[...] I would think sound could possibly be used, (and although I rarely dabble in speculation) for supercavitation of air, and create some amazing speeds, and perhaps some rather amazing maneuvers? [...]

Highly doubt acoustics only will ever be used in propulsion, but at least some effects can cut fuel consumption by 20% (though I can't find info about progress in that direction).

Like in horror movies "they can't hear you scream in space" MWAAHAAAA!

This is really interesting. I wonder what the direct result would be if they could make speakers strong enough and find the right frequency to float a 'human' like those water droplets.

Yeh I saw this on the news a few days ago. Looks pretty cool, but all they are doing is levitating some water droplets using sound waves.

Now I'm no scientist, but I don't think that sound waves alone would have enough force to propel a craft, let alone at very fast speeds.

I agree with you, really cool, but no dice

This is really interesting. I wonder what the direct result would be if they could make speakers strong enough and find the right frequency to float a 'human' like those water droplets.

You would likely end up looking like hamburger.

Since the early 80's, urologists have been using lithotripsy to smash gallstones and kidney stones into fine sand so they can pass out of the body in urine. The procedure involves high intensity acoustic pulses being focussed on the stones. They have the consistency of hard chalk and when the treatment is done they are reduced to powder. The procedure requires the patient to be under anaesthesia because the shock waves are so powerful they cause cavitation in tissue and bone.

And thats at a power that won't make you fly!

• Like 1

Rocket engines currently in use work in both atmospheric and space environments.

Why don't you fire your idea off to NASA for evaluation. They usually reply to such suggestions.

NASA already has significant work underway on alternate propulsion systems by their private sector contractors. You will probably find research on your idea is well underway, or has already been deemed unfeasible and has been abandoned.

Not really what I am talking about, which is conventional travel, rockets provide lift. It goes in one direction very fast. It would be expensive to modify the design to allow conventional travel, which is why we have rockets, and we have planes. A plane requires lift, where a rocket uses thrust. The principal is quite different as I understand it. Something "hybrid" that manipulates the atmosphere, and sound waves do just that, may have the potential to reach further. I do not know if it would work, but by gum it is an interesting proposal.

Yes, I know that NASA has several designs in progress, and in use. NASA's deep space 1 used ion propulsion. I have actually exchanged emails with Dr David Morrison, the senior astrobiologist at NASA, but why bother these busy people when we have our very own NASA man on board, that being MID? What more could one ask?

It is not my idea, I just believe it has great potential. Not sure how you got that impression.

It is not my idea, I just believe it has great potential. Not sure how you got that impression.

Sorry,I think when I wrote that I was referring back to the original poster. My goof.

9i4njp.jpg

Does chanting a sacred mantra calibrate the molecules of the human body?

Looks like a New Space agged Desert Dippin-Dots and brownie `s

You would likely end up looking like hamburger.

Since the early 80's, urologists have been using lithotripsy to smash gallstones and kidney stones into fine sand so they can pass out of the body in urine. The procedure involves high intensity acoustic pulses being focussed on the stones. They have the consistency of hard chalk and when the treatment is done they are reduced to powder. The procedure requires the patient to be under anaesthesia because the shock waves are so powerful they cause cavitation in tissue and bone.

And thats at a power that won't make you fly!

Back to OP, though, have you considered the fact that most UAPs that accelerate at high speed almost never cause sonic booms. Just a coincidence? I've always wondered about this detail.

Back to OP, though, have you considered the fact that most UAPs that accelerate at high speed almost never cause sonic booms. Just a coincidence? I've always wondered about this detail.

Hi 'archernyc'!

Yes I have pondered this conundrum on many occasions, and believe that the answer to that particular achievement may lie in the general symmetry of the craft. In fact, we ourselves may not be all that far from cracking the sonic boom nut, as the clever young boffins at the TohokuUniversity are eager to prove...

28.jpg

http://www.designcru...-boom-entirely/

Cheers.

Edited by 1963

Hi 'archernyc'!

Yes I have pondered this conundrum on many occasions, and believe that the answer to that particular achievement may lie in the general symmetry of the craft. In fact, we ourselves may not be all that far from cracking the sonic boom nut, as the clever young boffins at the TohokuUniversity are eager to prove...

28.jpg

Cheers.

I bet this particular item causes lots of UFO reports. LOL!