Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kids Poisoned by Medical Marijuana

DieChecker

http://health.usnews...ana-study-finds

"We are seeing increases in exposure to marijuana in young pediatric patients, and they have more severe symptoms than we typically associate with marijuana," said lead researcher Dr. George Sam Wang, a medical toxicology fellow at the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center in Denver.
The active chemical in marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol, is in higher than normal concentrations in medical marijuana, and often is sold in baked goods, soft drinks and candies, the researchers said in the study, which was published online May 27 in the journal JAMA Pediatrics.

"We are seeing more symptoms because some of these products have very high amounts of marijuana in them," Wang said. "You get such a high dose on such a small child, the symptoms are more severe."

As with many similar poisonings, treatment is limited to supportive care and waiting until the marijuana clears the system, he said.

Children recover quickly in most cases, Wang said. "They don't need more than a day or two of hospitalization," he said. "There were no deaths or lasting side effects."

For the study, Wang's team compared the number of children treated in the emergency room for marijuana poisoning before and after the law was enacted in October 2009.

In all, almost 1,400 children under 12 were evaluated for accidental poisonings in this one hospital -- 790 before Sept. 30, 2009, and 588 after that.

After decriminalization, 14 children -- mostly boys and some as young as 8 months -- were found to have ingested marijuana. Eight had consumed medical marijuana, and seven ate marijuana in foods. Two were admitted to the intensive care unit.

Before Sept. 30, 2009, none of those possible poisonings was attributed to marijuana, the researchers found.

I know that does not sound so bad, and maybe it is not. But it is just another data point in the discussion of legalizing pot. None died. All recovered with no lasting effects, so right there it seems safer the bleach or draino. :w00t:

• Like 6

Seeing how it's a drug, and the issue stems from too much of the active substance within the brownies, isn't it a matter of overdose and not poison?

• Like 4

Pesticides...

Poison? What?

I don't even know why anyone would need to be hospitalised after consumption of Marijuana unless there was something else in it (ie preservatives, pesticides, weight adding chemicals like from hairspray, etc). But no one has ever overdosed from the active substance, THC, ever, to my knowledge at least.

Good old fear mongering at work.

I was wondering the same thing, I have heard of alcoholic poisoning, but never Marijuana poisoning. Are they saying that tetrahydrocannabinol is a poison or a relaxant? With Alcohol, Alcohol depresses nerves that control involuntary actions such as breathing and the gag reflex, which prevents choking. A fatal dose of alcohol will eventually stop these functions. Is that the concern?

I think you are right with a zero death count, I think there might be a bit more to worry about to be honest.

Would not being poisoned by a penicillin or harsh opiate or something be a real medical concern? Maybe they should be more worried about medecine security, and thanking their lucky stars that kids are not ingesting fatal substances? Seems more a wake up call than anything.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 4

Poison? What?

I don't even know why anyone would need to be hospitalised after consumption of Marijuana unless there was something else in it (ie preservatives, pesticides, weight adding chemicals like from hairspray, etc). But no one has ever overdosed from the active substance, THC, ever, to my knowledge at least.

Good old fear mongering at work.

I remember seeing somewhere that in order to OD on THC you'd have to be smoking once every two minutes for several days. Even the most hardcore smokers I've known would be out after two hours of that.

• Like 3

I remember being about 10 years old when my friend stole her dads bowl packed full. 20 mins later I was sick as a dog for about an hour. Didnt smoke again till I was 17.

• Like 2

If any idiot gobbles down too many pot brownies .. he or she is going to get too high ... for awhile. Medical marijuana is simply a term used for marijuana used for medicinal purposes.. it's not DIFFERENT .

I can see it coming.. Federal / Corporate control of production and distribution of 'medical' marijuana . The stated reason will be SAFETY / PURITY.

• Like 8

I think you are right with a zero death count.

'cept for one guy in india who was crushed to death when a 1.5ton bale of the finest charas fell on him, but I guess that's not what you meant....?

:-)

• Like 8

Seeing how it's a drug, and the issue stems from too much of the active substance within the brownies, isn't it a matter of overdose and not poison?

This is probably the funnniest quote on all of UM! One of the biggest "selling" points of Cannabis is that you physically can't OD - anyone that tells you otherwise is either has an agenda or has just never tried the drug

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 2

I know that does not sound so bad, and maybe it is not. But it is just another data point in the discussion of legalizing pot. None died. All recovered with no lasting effects, so right there it seems safer the bleach or draino. :w00t:

Exactly.

This is probably the funnniest quote on all of UM! One of the biggest "selling" points of Cannabis is that you physically can't OD - anyone that tells you otherwise is either has an agenda or has just never tried the drug

Yep. It's impossible for even the most hardcore smokers to OD.

• Like 1

active compain agains mj.

for decades ppl smoked it, no problems, now "medical" mj gets a first step, and this crap happens. someone laced it with some crap on purpose.

I was wondering the same thing, I have heard of alcoholic poisoning, but never Marijuana poisoning. Are they saying that tetrahydrocannabinol is a poison or a relaxant? With Alcohol, Alcohol depresses nerves that control involuntary actions such as breathing and the gag reflex, which prevents choking. A fatal dose of alcohol will eventually stop these functions. Is that the concern?

I think you are right with a zero death count, I think there might be a bit more to worry about to be honest.

Would not being poisoned by a penicillin or harsh opiate or something be a real medical concern? Maybe they should be more worried about medecine security, and thanking their lucky stars that kids are not ingesting fatal substances? Seems more a wake up call than anything.

I think they are using such incorrectly assigned words to demonise and spread fear mongering.

There are no overdoses or deaths resulting solely from the consumption of Marijuana that I know of.

A lot of prescribed medicines will do more damage to you than help you, much more than Marijuana ever will. It's all a business about maximising profits.

• Like 5

I remember seeing somewhere that in order to OD on THC you'd have to be smoking once every two minutes for several days. Even the most hardcore smokers I've known would be out after two hours of that.

You wouldn't physically be capable of doing this is the thing. Even requiring a higher amount in a smaller timeframe would, if smoked, kill you from the lack of oxygen if anything (one of the ways they "proved" in order to illegalise marijuana due to killing of brain cells is after they basically engulfed them with THC smoke and they suffocated due to lack of oxygen, what happens when you suffocate? Your brain dies. Hence the dead brain cells. But it was ruled the THC was the cause of this.)

• Like 3

You wouldn't physically be capable of doing this is the thing. Even requiring a higher amount in a smaller timeframe would, if smoked, kill you from the lack of oxygen if anything (one of the ways they "proved" in order to illegalise marijuana due to killing of brain cells is after they basically engulfed them with THC smoke and they suffocated due to lack of oxygen, what happens when you suffocate? Your brain dies. Hence the dead brain cells. But it was ruled the THC was the cause of this.)

I have quite legendary coughing fits, that'd probably kill me through exhaustion before oxygen deprivation or toxicity could set in. :P

• Like 4

active compain agains mj.

for decades ppl smoked it, no problems, now "medical" mj gets a first step, and this crap happens. someone laced it with some crap on purpose.

Even if it were laced. If someone contracts salmonella from chicken and dies as a result. Do we say they had chicken poisoning?

If they were actually hospitalised from the consumption of marijuana then they should label whatever trace of substance that actually caused them to go to hospital should be named. I can quite guarantee they weren't in any life threatening or potentially damaging situation as a result solely from the THC.

Unless of course they have mental issues, marijuana, being a psychoactive drug, isn't usually the best for some people with mental issues.

If being high requires an emergency call these days. I am quite sure hospitals would be overflowing.

• Like 2

Thinking about it now, the "overdose" was probably nothing more than the poor kids getting too high and thinking they were having heart attacks, or couldn't breath or what have you. Basically, they were tripping out lol in the medical terminology, it was classified as an overdose (which I suppose you could argue)

• Like 3

Yah... what Dark_Gray said.

These kids got really high and their parents wanted to make sure they'd be OK so they took them to the hospital.

No one was poisoned or anything.

Now, if the kids accidentally ingested some pharmaceutical pain killer or other medication, they'd probably be in much more danger health-wise.

• Like 4

Not trying to turn this thread into a pro-marijuana campaign, (though that's probably where it's headed,) but I like the way Kat Williams (comedian) put it:

"Tylenol is perfectly legal but if you take 13 of those mutha******s it'll be your last headache!"

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 3

Eh, I think it's more of a carelessness rather than anything else. Not that it's ok in any way.

Since pot is now legal in Colorado I think you will find that less people are hiding their "stash" and it's more readily accessible to the kids. It used to be that the "stash" was hidden in a box at the top of the closet, now I think...not so much.

More of careless parenting than anything to do with the law.

Nibs

Probably most, as I, think "kids" shouldn't ingest any mind or body altering substances during their formative years? Unless of course it's an emergency and they need something to keep them alive? ... I guess they can have food .

Not trying to turn this thread into a pro-marijuana campaign, (though that's probably where it's headed,) but I like the way Kat Williams (comedian) put it:

"Tylenol is perfectly legal but if you take 13 of those mutha******s it'll be your last headache!"

LOL :tu:

You know, it might not be careless parenting. Some kids are part monkey and can climb and get into anything!

• Like 1

How much TCH would say... a 40 pound 5 year old, get if they ate 5 brownies that were 20% marijuana... or about 10 onces?? Not sure what the percentages of marijuana in medical grade brownies is, but I'm assuming that if some kid ate a bunch of them really quick, that they would get sick. Is that a reasonable expectation?

None of the kids "smoked" the pot, they ate it. So we have to assume these are 2 to 7 year olds.

No one was poisoned or anything.

Isn't getting really high a symptom of being poisoned? Basically you're being chemically affected, which could be called poisoning even if it is temporary and non-life threatening.

Also, I think I've read that kids that ingest pot regularly have much lower IQ scores.

Bottom line.... Keep the pot away from the Kids.

• Like 1

Isn't getting really high a symptom of being poisoned? Basically you're being chemically affected, which could be called poisoning even if it is temporary and non-life threatening.

Well... i don't know the medical terminology definitions, but I personally see being chemically affected as different than being poisoned. I mean, eating way too much sugar chemically affects people.