Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Help Needed Computer Problem

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

I wonder if anyone here can help me out..

Each time I have a movie downloaded, and I go to convert from MP4 to AVI, the computer knocks itself off ...What can I do to sort this problem out?

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#2    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,935 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

What program are you using to convert? What are your PC specs?
When you say 'knocks itself off' does the whole PC just shut down or give you a blue screen?
Do you notice any loud fans in the PC before this happens?

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#3    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 28 January 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

What program are you using to convert? What are your PC specs?

Format factory ..I updated it from version 2.5 to 3.0.1  and still the same thing ..It never used to do it on 2.5..The spec is what I need to check...

When you say 'knocks itself off' does the whole PC just shut down or give you a blue screen?              

It completely shuts down

Do you notice any loud fans in the PC before this happens?          

No I haven't heard any loud fan noises..   But I did clean out all the vents and fans, clearing away all dust...

#4    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,935 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Is it converting the entire file before it shuts down? If so, make sure that this 'feature' didn't get enabled somehow.

http://en.kioskea.ne...fter-conversion

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#5    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,935 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

If the program continues to give you problems try to completely uninstall it using the Control Panel / Add remove programs(programs and features)

I've used this one in the past with no issues.

AVS Video Converter

Posted Image

#6    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 28 January 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

Is it converting the entire file before it shuts down? If so, make sure that this 'feature' didn't get enabled somehow.

http://en.kioskea.ne...fter-conversion

It is shutting down after approx 5 mins of starting, so the whole file is not converted

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 28 January 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

If the program continues to give you problems try to completely uninstall it using the Control Panel / Add remove programs(programs and features)

I've used this one in the past with no issues.

AVS Video Converter

No problem, I'll give that a go...I'll come back later when I get more of a chance and let you know if it has done the trick..

Cheers Biff

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 28 January 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#7    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Unless you're planning on burning it, just install VLC and it'll play the film no problem.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 28 January 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#8    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,670 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 28 January 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

Unless you're planning on burning it, just install VLC and it'll play the film no problem.

I love VLC, but the past year since installing a music production plug in, it's been playing up. :td:

(I know exactly what the problem is and there is nothing I an do about it)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#9    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

View PostCoffey, on 28 January 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

I love VLC, but the past year since installing a music production plug in, it's been playing up. :td:

(I know exactly what the problem is and there is nothing I an do about it)

That's a shame, it's a good player, but not as light as it has been in the past.

#10    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,670 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 28 January 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

That's a shame, it's a good player, but not as light as it has been in the past.

Well it's the other softwares fault really, but the other software is fine. So it;s only VLC being affected. Had the same problem on 2 different OS installs and tried everything, until i figured out the problem.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#11    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 28 January 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

I have VLC player.. What I want to do is, convert it to AVI so I can put it on to my pen drive and play it on my TV

#12    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,555 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

It sounds like a problem with your power supply. The problem being it can't provide enough power over a certain amount of time or during or as a result of a high load process like this file conversion. As a result, it cuts out completely. Resulting in your computer then turning off.

#13    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

The Sum of All Bears

• 5,454 posts

• "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday."

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

I have that happen too and I have a 650w power supply for a computer I know doesn't require nearly that, and it has happened with Format Factory but a few other programs as well. My issue is that the fan has stopped working in my power supply. I didn't know it was possible, but the power supply can work for over a year (like mine) without a working fan. Not a good idea, but it can.

I have enough airflow and other fans and heatsinks in my case and generally not enough workload that my computer does not produce enough heat to require much of such a large power supply, but when it DOES need it, the power supply simply can't handle it, and it shuts down. It did it a couple of hours ago while I was doing nothing, simply because it has warmed up here, and it just overheated because of ambient temperature.

My PC works best when it is cold in here. I've gotten it to fully convert files by turning the heat down, taking the side off the PC and pointing a high powered fan directly into it while it converts. I know it sounds like one of those "recharge your batteries with a pickle" troll science pranks, but I verify this firsthand.

Either you or a computer-savvy friend needs to take the side(s) off your computer and boot it up and make sure all your fans are running, especially the power supply - mine runs occasionally but stops then starts again. There are also many free programs like Speedfan that will display the temperatures of various internal components of your computer, such as the CPU, Power supply, memory, fans - providing the sensor leads are connected properly.

Edited by Paranormalcy, 29 January 2013 - 06:42 AM.

UM Rules | Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252hrs/4y+, View: Ideomotor

#14    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 28 January 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

No I haven't heard any loud fan noises..   But I did clean out all the vents and fans, clearing away all dust...

Automatic shutdowns happen when your pc overheats or if something isnt plugged in properly.

Check your memory cards are fully in, your fans are plugged in and when turned on they're rotating.

#15    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 29 January 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

I have VLC player.. What I want to do is, convert it to AVI so I can put it on to my pen drive and play it on my TV

Ahh. If you look on Cnet, they have loads of free converters of all kinds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users